U17: 2014 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge — Nov. 2-8

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Sutter is an absolute embarassment to Canadian hockey with those comments he made. We're unskilled, my buttocks.

I know this isn't a U17 debate, but seriously, how one coach can pick a roster, refuse to play 1/3 of said roster, and having that roster heavily slanted towards grinders with slow feet and then not taking any accountability for how that team played is a joke.

That clown better not step foot near these kids again, it's attitudes like his that have us where we are.

The Finns were not more skilled than the Swede's, Russian's, or Canadian's, they just played the best at the U20. If Canada took their most skilled players, maybe the coaches wouldn't have to worry about finding 4-5 minutes a night for Fred Gauthier and Kerby Rychel (who are good Pro prospects, but had no business making the U20 team).

Sorry for going way off-topic, but I'm embarassed as a Canadian, not so much at the performance of these KIDS, but the lack of accountability for that goof of a coach. In my eyes, we were outcoached every game. Every team gained our blueline with ease, and had the ability to support the puck all over the ice. Sutter's team couldn't find any space in the neutral zone, but all the other teams could against us...to me that is coaching.

end rant/

U17 was a good tourney, I really like the proposed changes. Taking 3 teams of the best players makes more sense for HC.

Here here

Really shameful of him to throw his team under the bus like that.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Sutter says we need to develop more skills at an early age and less games and tactics.
I'm buying it.!!
Even Scott Salmond agrees!! Maybe he knows he is next to be turfed.
Maybe they will eventually get to the big cheese.

That's been a common thought in Canada for a while now. Go to an average Peewee AAA practice in Canada and you see them practice breakouts, PP, PK, etc. Go to a Peewee (or U14) team in most (not all) European hockey countries and they're working on individual skills like skating, puck skills, etc.

Those European countries have been catching up at national events even though they have way less junior players in the country.

luddf

Nov 5, 2013
Gävle
Can anyone who saw most of Sweden's games, tell me if any of the players impressed you? Which in that case?

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
That's been a common thought in Canada for a while now. Go to an average Peewee AAA practice in Canada and you see them practice breakouts, PP, PK, etc. Go to a Peewee (or U14) team in most (not all) European hockey countries and they're working on individual skills like skating, puck skills, etc.

Those European countries have been catching up at national events even though they have way less junior players in the country.

if PeeWee AAA coaches are doing that they are going against the recommendation of Hockey Canada and against what is taught in the coaching clinics.

• 45% Technical skills
• 25% Individual tactics
• 10% Team tactics
• 10% Team play
• 10% Strategy

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
if PeeWee AAA coaches are doing that they are going against the recommendation of Hockey Canada and against what is taught in the coaching clinics.

• 45% Technical skills
• 25% Individual tactics
• 10% Team tactics
• 10% Team play
• 10% Strategy

The coaches complain when the 12 year olds aren't following/understanding their (tactical) instructions while they aren't following Hockey Canada instructions :laugh:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
As an outsider, I have a really hard time understanding the notion that Canada is somehow falling short at producing talent/having talent shortcomings.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
As an outsider, I have a really hard time understanding the notion that Canada is somehow falling short at producing talent/having talent shortcomings.

It's a bit silly.

Certainly Finland played very well and beat Canada fair and square.

At the same time, the NHL draft is the most objective barometer for assessing talent. There is no problem producing talent in Canada.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Notice the tournament has been moved early this year - it's being held Oct. 21 to Nov. 8 (locations TBD)...rather than over the winter break, as in the past.

They restructured u-17 in Canada and now there are only going to be 3 teams (rather than 5). I'm not sure how the players on the team will be sorted - if there is still a regional component or not.

The coaches will be Jean-François Houle of the QMJHL's Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, Sheldon Keefe of the OHL's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and Dan Lambert of the Kelowna Rockets.

WorkTheWall

May 24, 2014
They restructured u-17 in Canada and now there are only going to be 3 teams (rather than 5). I'm not sure how the players on the team will be sorted - if there is still a regional component or not.

I believe it is not regional - take the top 66 kids or however many and divide them up into 3 teams that supposedly should be relatively even.

It's too bad, this is one of the few years where Team Atlantic would have actually been alright.

I think team Pacific would have been a monster this year too. The D would have been scary good and some real talent up front.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Notice the tournament has been moved early this year - it's being held Oct. 21 to Nov. 8 (locations TBD)...rather than over the winter break, as in the past.

The coaches will be Jean-François Houle of the QMJHL's Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, Sheldon Keefe of the OHL's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and Dan Lambert of the Kelowna Rockets.

They will be bringing 100 players to a Summer camp. They then will monitor them up to the time the 3 teams need to be picked. You will see kids from all different regions on each team.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Does these changes mean more Euro teams? It was a joke that Finland didn't get to play in this last year, with one of the strongest U17 teams they've ever had.

WorkTheWall

May 24, 2014
They will be bringing 100 players to a Summer camp. They then will monitor them up to the time the 3 teams need to be picked. You will see kids from all different regions on each team.

From what I understand it will be a 10 day camp and they'll select the teams right there (at some point during the 10 days) and then spend some time team building etc. With an October/November date this year they don't really have a chance to monitor players on their junior teams as season will have only just begun. It's Hockey Canada's first pass taking full control of this program so I'm sure they'll be some kinks to work out.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Does these changes mean more Euro teams? It was a joke that Finland didn't get to play in this last year, with one of the strongest U17 teams they've ever had.

it's a hockey canada event, they can invite whoever they want lol

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
From what I understand it will be a 10 day camp and they'll select the teams right there (at some point during the 10 days) and then spend some time team building etc. With an October/November date this year they don't really have a chance to monitor players on their junior teams as season will have only just begun. It's Hockey Canada's first pass taking full control of this program so I'm sure they'll be some kinks to work out.

Next summer, more than 100 of the nation’s top players born in 1998 or later will be invited to Calgary to participate in a nine-day camp dutifully devoted to skill development, chalk talk, education and evaluation – a first-of-its-kind, strategic assessment tool for Hockey Canada’s U17 program.

Ryan Jankowski, head scout for the Program of Excellence, and his three regional scouts, Brad McEwen (Western Canada), Darryl Woodley (Ontario) and Donald Audette (Quebec and Atlantic Canada), will identify a list of players throughout the season and continue evaluating them once they return to their club teams.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/poe-changes-bring-new-era-for-u17s

WorkTheWall

May 24, 2014
Next summer, more than 100 of the nation’s top players born in 1998 or later will be invited to Calgary to participate in a nine-day camp dutifully devoted to skill development, chalk talk, education and evaluation – a first-of-its-kind, strategic assessment tool for Hockey Canada’s U17 program.

Ryan Jankowski, head scout for the Program of Excellence, and his three regional scouts, Brad McEwen (Western Canada), Darryl Woodley (Ontario) and Donald Audette (Quebec and Atlantic Canada), will identify a list of players throughout the season and continue evaluating them once they return to their club teams.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/poe-changes-bring-new-era-for-u17s

Thanks Alberta. I had heard through the proverbial grapevine that they were doing selection there but it appears that is not correct. Still, I would think they'll have a pretty firm idea and follow ups will be simply to make sure they feel good about their list.

arsmaster*

Not much regular season game action to differentiate the players. Will be very interesting to see how they build all 3 teams.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Get snubbed Balmas. Played in the tournament last year and doesn't make a team this year.

2 less teams, meaning some of the underagers who competed last year on the regional teams were bound to get the snub...

Good for Hockey Canada for making the change from what they had to the current format.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
2 less teams, meaning some of the underagers who competed last year on the regional teams were bound to get the snub...

Good for Hockey Canada for making the change from what they had to the current format.

He was also the 7th overall pick in the Q draft & has 4 points in 8 games (tied for 2nd in QMJHL U17 scoring)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad