GDT: U-18 WJC Day 3 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Seems a bit harsh considering the last four top overall picks have been Canadian (2007 I believe was the last non Canadian at the top) and Canada has had #2 in 2 of four of those years (-08, 10) and #3 in all of them (08,09,10,11) and might have the early favorite for #1 in 2013.

And I get excited about having 10 late first rounders.

:bow:

Hi Xokkeu:

I meant a lull going forward. :) I am not telling you anything you don't already know but...

From 2002 up until the first 2 picks of 2010, Canada produced several generations’ worth of great players. Check out the 1st round of 2003.
It was off the charts! And after 2003, for the rest of the decade, we kept cranking off players were not only NHL ready but NHL GREAT at 18. This led to 5 Golds and 5 Silvers at the WJR`s even with our best 19 year olds in the NHL.

Unfortunately, we are about to see the other side of the coin - at least for a few years. Bronze at this years WJR`s. We may not medal next year. This U18 group does not look promising - altho we never do well at this tournament for reasons that are well documented.

Anyway, I look forward to the next block of great Canadian players. It just won’t be this year. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Hi Xokkeu:

I meant a lull going forward. :) I am not telling you anything you don't already know but...

From 2002 up until the first 2 picks of 2010, Canada produced several generations’ worth of great players. Check out the 1st round of 2003.
It was off the charts! And after 2003, for the rest of the decade, we kept cranking off players were not only NHL ready but NHL GREAT at 18.
It led to 5 Golds and 5 Silvers at the WJR`s even with our best 19 year olds in the NHL.

Unfortunately, we are about to see the other side of the coin - at least for a few years. Bronze at this years WJR`s. We may not medal next year. This U18 group does not look promising - altho we never do well at this tournament for reasons that are well documented.

Anyway, I look forward to the next block of great Canadian players. It just won’t be this year. :)

Still, two things. Even if the 2012 draft only gives you 4 or 5 top 10 picks, it's still more than any other country. And second, it's only one draft. Perhaps you know more about 2013 and 2014 than I do, but it doesn't seem to me that this is more than a one year hiccup.

I wouldn't be too disappointed. Heck since Patrick Kane we have only had one top 10 pick, and frankly we might only have one this year, and that's if the IIHF allows Galchenyuk to stick around. Of course Both Colin Wilson and Galchenyuk are somewhat outside the USA hockey development program. SO it's even more disappointing.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Still, two things. Even if the 2012 draft only gives you 4 or 5 top 10 picks, it's still more than any other country. And second, it's only one draft. Perhaps you know more about 2013 and 2014 than I do, but it doesn't seem to me that this is more than a one year hiccup.

I wouldn't be too disappointed. Heck since Patrick Kane we have only had one top 10 pick, and frankly we might only have one this year, and that's if the IIHF allows Galchenyuk to stick around. Of course Both Colin Wilson and Galchenyuk are somewhat outside the USA hockey development program. SO it's even more disappointing.

That`s fair and accuarte. I just believe that, years from now, people will see this as a lull for Canadian hockey - we have been spoiled. :)

I don`t think any GREAT Canadian players will come out of the 2012 draft. But, then again, I don`t think there will be any GREAT players coming out of this draft period. We`ll have to see.

:)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
That`s fair and accuarte. I just feel that, years from now, people will see this as a lull for Canadian hockey - we have been spoiled. :)

I also do not feel any GREAT Canadian players will come out of the 2012 draft.

:(

You may be right. The Canadian crop for 2012 might be just average. But it's only ONE draft. For a serious lull you'd have to repeat this round for a couple years.

Have faith.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

You may be right. The Canadian crop for 2012 might be just average. But it's only ONE draft. For a serious lull you'd have to repeat this round for a couple years.

Have faith.

You Avatar has given me faith. Be well, my friend.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Canada scored against U18 team at 19:59 as well as Switzerland in womens WC at 19.59.

I think that was a pretty funny coincidance and quite rare

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
The power plays were 8-1 for Finland. Which is even more lopsided than how Stacey Livingston called the 2002 Women's Gold medal game (13-4)

Never occured to you that your team took those penalties rather than the ref gave your team penalties? "amount of penalties are lopsided, the referee must be biased"

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
That`s fair and accuarte. I just believe that, years from now, people will see this as a lull for Canadian hockey - we have been spoiled. :)

I don`t think any GREAT Canadian players will come out of the 2012 draft. But, then again, I don`t think there will be any GREAT players coming out of this draft period. We`ll have to see.

I don't see Canadian teams and players being worse than they were 5 or 6 years ago. If there is a difference, it is that other countries have improved substantially in that time period. Russia still has a long way to go, but they have taken steps to improve youth programs in recent years. Sweden and Finland have improved dramatically during this period, thanks to a lot of investment in upgrading hockey in those countries. The US started producing more good hockey players a decade ago. It is true that 2010 to 2012 is the longest drought that Canada has experienced for WJC Gold Medals since Canada switched to a national format for junior teams in 1982. But that is still only 3 years. I think the rest of the world is just doing a better job of developing hockey players.

espo*

The world isn't producing any better players at all, things are essentially the same as they have been for the past 20 odd years mostly.

Canada just hasn't managed to win GOLD in the WJC the past 3 years, it's impossible to win them all..........geez.

This isn't the longest drought Canada has experienced without winning gold at the WJC since Canada adopted the National team format either, we had a longer drought after we had our last streak of 5 in a row snapped in 1998, we didn't win again until that powerhouse team in 2005.

The reality of World junior Hockey hasn't changed at all, not even Canada can win every single year

espo*

Good point, I just hope it's a point that you and the fans that follow your team remember that the next time the role is reversed or when a call against your team leads to an important goal against them.

Because in my experience around here or anywhere else for that matter agreeing with the refs and not blaming your teams losses on them is not a European Hockey fans strong suit.

Never occured to you that your team took those penalties rather than the ref gave your team penalties? "amount of penalties are lopsided, the referee must be biased"

Latex*

Have you been diagnosed asperger's syndrome yet? you seem like one. :)

I seem like a syndrome? What the hell does that mean?!

Do you even know what it is? You're saying I have Asperger's because of my HF posts?

-------------

You said I should go behind a barn and shoot myself some time ago.

Do you have schizophrenia?

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
I seem like a syndrome? What the hell does that mean?!

Do you even know what it is? You're saying I have Asperger's because of my HF posts?

-------------

You said I should go behind a barn and shoot myself some time ago.

Do you have schizophrenia?

Thanks, you just proved my point. :)

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Good point, I just hope it's a point that you and the fans that follow your team remember that the next time the role is reversed or when a call against your team leads to an important goal against them.

Because in my experience around here or anywhere else for that matter agreeing with the refs and not blaming your teams losses on them is not a European Hockey fans strong suit.

Good points as well, agree with everything here.

I was just replying to what I believed thought was weird logic. It wasn't even a case where someone blamed the refs for bad calls, but that the ref giving more penalties to Canada was in itself unfair. Which IMO sounded a bit odd.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I don't see Canadian teams and players being worse than they were 5 or 6 years ago. If there is a difference, it is that other countries have improved substantially in that time period. Russia still has a long way to go, but they have taken steps to improve youth programs in recent years. Sweden and Finland have improved dramatically during this period, thanks to a lot of investment in upgrading hockey in those countries. The US started producing more good hockey players a decade ago. It is true that 2010 to 2012 is the longest drought that Canada has experienced for WJC Gold Medals since Canada switched to a national format for junior teams in 1982. But that is still only 3 years. I think the rest of the world is just doing a better job of developing hockey players.

Really? Let’s see if I can prove that Canada has been in a lull since 2010…

From 2003 until 2005, Canada produced the following top quality players…

Fluery, E Staal, Horton, Colburn, Jeff Carter, Seabrook, Getzlaf, Burns, Mike Richards, Perry, Bergeron, Weber, Carcillo, Brian Elliot, Ladd, Zajac, Green, Versteeg, Crosby, Price, M Staal, James Neal, Vlasic, Letang, and Helm to name a few.

From 2006 until 2009, Canada produced the following top quality players…

J Staal, Toews, Bernier, Little, Giroux, Lucic, Seabrook, Marchand, Sutter, Benn, Stamkos, Doughty, Myers, Pieterangelo, Boychuk, Hodgson, Del Zotto, Eberle, Ennis, Henrique, Taveres, Duchene, Kane, Brayden Schenn to name a few…

From 2010 until 2011, Canada has produced the following top quality players…

Hall, Seguin, Skinner, RHN, Couturier.

(* Feel free to add anyone I have missed from 2010, 2011 and the BIG stars that will be coming from Canada in the 2012 Draft - which is considered to be the weakest since 1999.*)

It is no coincidence that Canada won 5 WJR Gold’s from 2005 to 2009 with our best players in the NHL.

Canada is in its worst lull since the late 1990's and it has cost us the last 3 WJR's. So, while you see the rest of the world catching up, I see Canada pulling to the side of the road for a pit stop. :) Hopefully, we will see things get better after this year's pitiful draft.

Anyway, I look forward to your reply.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Really? Let’s see if I can prove that Canada has been in a lull since 2010…

From 2003 until 2005 Canada produced the following star players…

Fluery, E Staal, Horton, Colburn, Jeff Carter, Seabrook, Getzlaf, Burns, Mike Richards, Perry, Bergeron, Weber, Carcillo, Brian Elliot, Ladd, Zajac, Green, Versteeg, Crosby, Price, M Staal, James Neal, Vlasic, Letang, and Helm to name a few.

From 2006 until 2009 Canada produced the following star players…

J Staal, Toews, Bernier, Little, Giroux, Lucic, Seabrook, Marchand, Sutter, Benn, Stamkos, Doughty, Myers, Pieterangelo, Boychuk, Hodgson, Del Zotto, Eberle, Ennis, Henrique, Taveres, Duchene, Kane, Brayden Schenn to name a few…

From 2010 until 2011 Canada has produced the following star players…

Hall, Seguin, Skinner, RHN, Couturier.

(* Feel free to add anyone I have missed from 2010, 2011 and the BIG stars that will be coming from Canada in the 2012 Draft - which is considered to be the weakest since 1999.*)

It is no coincidence that Canada won 5 WJR Gold’s from 2005 to 2009 with our best players in the NHL. Canada is in the worst lull since the late 1990's and it has cost us the last 3 WJR's. Hopefully, we will see things get better after this year's pitiful draft.

Anyway, I look forward to your reply.

In Canada somehow the name ''star'' is attached to any somewhat good NHL player. No wonder Russians wonder a lot about Canadian ''stars'' and how many of them there are... If you asked a Russian to compile a list of ''stars'' in NHL, he'd probably come up with the total of 15-20 players...
A lot of such ''stars'' from 2010 and 2011 are still either in juniors or AHL and still need a year or two to mature so there's no use to take such recent drafts and present them as evidence that there are no stars. Huberdeau will definitely be a star, for example

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

In Canada somehow the name ''star'' is attached to any somewhat good NHL player. No wonder Russians wonder a lot about Canadian ''stars'' and how many of them there are... If you asked a Russian to compile a list of ''stars'' in NHL, he'd probably come up with the total of 15-20 players...
A lot of such ''stars'' from 2010 and 2011 are still either in juniors or AHL and still need a year or two to mature so there's no use to take such recent drafts and present them as evidence that there are no stars. Huberdeau will definitely be a star, for example

Feel free to remove anyone you want from my first 2 lists and then convince me that Canada is not in a lull from 2010 to 2012.
Feel free to look at the 2010, 2011 and add whomever you want - Huberdeau. Look at the upcoming 2012 drafts and feel free to do the same.

I changed the titles from 'Star' to 'Top Quality' players.

Re : "If you asked a Russian to compile a list of ''stars'' in NHL, he'd probably come up with the total of 15-20 players..."

That would be hard to believe given there were only 31 Russians in the NHL in 2011-2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad