Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Even if Sheary scores 15 in the regular season... he has 3 Goals in his last 49 playoff games so the depth he would offer is going to disappear once the playoffs start.
Yup. From the start his acquisition was a head scratcher. Even more so giving him 3 years and a M-NTC.

We gotta do better at finding decent players for our bottom six. Not an easy job for sure, but Sheary not fitting (and benefitting us) should have been seen miles away.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yup. From the start his acquisition was a head scratcher. Even more so giving him 3 years and a M-NTC.

We gotta do better at finding decent players for our bottom six. Not an easy job for sure, but Sheary not fitting (and benefitting us) should have been seen miles away.
JBB hands out NTC like candy

Reactions: ultra63

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
2 weeks until Stamkos hits the UFA market
This-is-Fine-300x300.jpg

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
These boards crumbled like the Bolts. We haven't been as strong on all aspects since losing to Colorado :(
Pat Maroon said it best about our injuries at the time. It was unbelievable. I don't think I've ever been more proud to be a Lightning fan as I was that week. The years following saw us get fed to the likely Stanley Cup champions and we'd have probably gotten to the 2nd or 3rd round with a healthy Vasy 2 years ago. We were due for a few stinkers

I'm not down on us at all.... I mean I'd like to see Cooper and the boys wipe the chalk board and start over but I unconditionally trust our front office as we navigate the offseason

Fan from AK

May 19, 2021
Alaska
Yes, Sheary's signing has turned out to be a poor one thus far, but that doesn't mean nor prove that JBB has made only bad moves the last 3 years, nor does it have anything to do with the value of a hypothetical Serg trade (where he's not involved). It's also great that you intensely dislike Matheson, but that also doesn't change the fact that he's a top 4 caliber fman that has 2 years left and makes considerably less than Serg. I have also said that a trade of any of Serg, Cirelli, or Cernak us unlikely to.occur, but that also does not change the fact that trading Serg provides the team with both the most flexibility in terms of cap space to improve the team in different areas this season, as well as likely providing the.best return to help the team both now and in the future. An RD would be preferable over another LD such as Matheson, either in a hypothetical trade or with the cap space gained (more so if Serg just returned picks and prospects), but the proposed trade from that poster wouldn't ne a bad one if that was the best offer for Serg if JBB was actually taking offers on him.
OK go on about your day as will I.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
BRING HIM BACK OVER BLASHILL

I enjoyed Boucher quite a bit while he was here, albeit moreso his first year when he turned the team around and we went to the ECF and less so when his over reliance on 1-3-1 became stale and ineffective and we became a laughing stock.

I taught his kids and had the pleasure to meet him, guy is super nice and loves the area, wish things had worked out. I'd take him back as an assistant for sure

Last edited:
Reactions: LightningStrikes

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I enjoyed Boucher quite a bit while he was here, albeit moreso his first year when he turned the team around and we went to the ECF and less so when his over reliance on 1-3-1 became stale and ineffective and we became a laughing stock.

I would love him back as an assistant
I think it really just came down to Boucher not getting the guys to buy-in (and Jon Cooper was knocking on the door).

also, the goaltending was terrible.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think it really just came down to Boucher not getting the guys to buy-in (and Jon Cooper was knocking on the door).

I don't think we had the D/goalie to run his system. Felt like most dump ins resulted in the other team winning control of the puck and getting quality ice time in our zone because it was a constant requirement to beat other teams to the puck and win board battles. Hard to buy into that kind of system if you're not built to be a grinder. We'd then waste so much energy on defense we had nothing left in the tank to go on offense, A LOT of time skating w/o control of the puck.

Coopers system was such a breath of fresh air, seeing an aggressive forecheck and puck control on the offensive 2/3 of the ice. Cooper had the benefit of having Bishop basically from the start though, he could rely on him to make a save.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

also, the goaltending was terrible.
yeah, I think he got the new coach enthusiasm bump, but the team wasnt good and he lost the room pretty quick. These were the days of Eric Brewer and defensive patch jobs all over the place.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Despite Waddell's decades in the NHL, it's hard to get a read on who he'd likely go for as head coach.

Blashill has the USA Hockey connections. Todd McLellan might be seen as the 'safe' choice. Gerard Gallant could probably get something out of the Blue Jackets, although they'd probably be looking for a new coach in three years.

Waddell had Todd Nelson as an assistant coach in Atlanta. He could be a candidate.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Re: Boucher. You're gonna lose the room immediately when you spend a season and a half of running the 1-3-1 down 2 goals in the 3rd period and everytime there's a press conference, coach just rips into how much time was spent defending.

People were ready to die for Jon Cooper after a month because he would say stuff like "I am so proud of how these guys fought tonight. You knew (opponent) was gonna make it tough but we found an answer and came away with a win. Awesome. Just awesome man" if they blew a 3 goal lead and won

Cooper is a case study on how the way you speak to people matters, when to exhibit frustration, containing emotions etc. His emotional IQ is probably genius level shit considering he hasn't lost the room yet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad