Tyson Jost

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
He gets outmuscled too much. Maybe confidence in the A will help him.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
None of what I said suggest that I have lost patience with Jost. On the contrary I am happy for him that he is down because it will help him put his career back on track. So yes I am giving him time.

All I said was that the Avs should just accept that he is now a W and stop bouncing him around from C and W. That would go a long way in helping him figuring out his game. To me building chemistry with Kaut is not that important because at this point Jost most likely will end up on the 3rd line on the Avs while Kaut will probably be on the 2nd. Again I'm not giving up on Jost but if he is part of the Avs' 2nd line moving forwards it probably means we are still looking at building a 2nd line and ways away to contend. Playing with Kaut in the AHL will certainly help him gain confidence as he would be playing with a very good player but I think it should be on the W in order to better prepare him for his return in the NHL.

I agree he's likely more suited on the Wing, but the AVs don't have too many good C options which might even hurt his confidence even further.

He should continue at C and if this fails, move to Wing or trade him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd think this would be clear at this point, but Jost doesn't have the skating to be a center at his size in the NHL. It just isn't there. They should focus him into being a LW.

Reactions: missionAvs

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
But it's not the end of his NHL career. I'm happy he got demoted because I think he can get back on track now and be a solid addition for the Avs later (meaning at some point next season). He was good in the first games this season, which is something many seem to have forgotten, and I think that was just a glimpse of what he will be able to do for us when he's fully ready for the big league. And because we probably won't make the playoffs this season I rather see him in the AHL, hopefully developing nicely, instead of having him in the NHL now just because he's better than a player like Dries, Bourque or Andrighetto.
Also, don't be upset when people here say he sucks and it's great for the team to have him sent down. The same people called MacKinnon a bust a few years ago. Just ignore them when it comes to Jost.
I think this is pretty spot on.

I think another thing people forget is how young he is. He'd be the 5th youngest player on DU's roster right now. He's also only had really one year at the NCAA level, before that he was in a 2nd tier league. Never spent any time in the AHL until now. The Avs just royally screwed up and rushed the hell out of him.

The kid clearly has talent, he went point for point with Boesser at North Dakota while being a year younger, had 6 pts in 9 games at the World Championship last year for Canada.

He needs to reset and focus on being a top player for the Eagles. If he can do that, he'll get his chance at the NHL level again.

Reactions: Bender and klozge

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
If they bring him back in a few weeks I'm gonna be pissed. Monitor his progress and get it right this time with his development the same way they did Rantanen.

Agreed. Best thing would be to just leave him there for at least this season. Only bring him up next year if he tears it up but otherwise, let him at least start the following season in the A.

Reactions: klozge

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not sure which is more unrealistically optimistic, people thinking Jost will become an NHL player or people thinking Greer will
To be fair, Greer is showing he can produce at the AHL level in a scoring role this season, and he at least has something Jost doesn't - an NHL body. There's still a chance imo that Greer can become an effective bottom-6 winger. I'm not the biggest fan of his, but I'm more confident in him finding a role in the NHL than Jost.

Every time I see Jost play, I see Curtis Lazar and I want to gouge my eyes out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd think this would be clear at this point, but Jost doesn't have the skating to be a center at his size in the NHL. It just isn't there. They should focus him into being a LW.

You'd think it would be clear after the hundreds of players that have improved their skating at his age, that he can still improve his skating.

Reactions: klozge and Avs71

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So I'm told the line will be Greer-Jost-Kaut. No idea which wing is on which side.

Well...that technically is the most talented line outside of any of the Top Line guys he has played with since entering the pros. And it's a couple big guys who should be able to free up some space for him to operate, I'm intrigued to hear how it goes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So I'm told the line will be Greer-Jost-Kaut. No idea which wing is on which side.

Well...that technically is the most talented line outside of any of the Top Line guys he has played with since entering the pros. And it's a couple big guys who should be able to free up some space for him to operate, I'm intrigued to hear how it goes.

I like that line. The three guys with the most NHL potential on the Eagles. Put them together and see what they do. Might even be an Avs 3rd line one day.

Interested to see how Jost and Kaut work together as lefty center-righty RW.

Reactions: Pokecheque

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Greer - Jost - Kaut

Sounds interesting.

Likely to be a slower line, but Kaut’s possession style game will be great for Jost’s confidence and development. Greer has a chance to focus on offense as well.

Put them out on the PP with Shvyrev and Meloche, too. Give us a reason to care ffs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
How does 6 games on the Eagles top line to get his confidence back hurt Jost more than playing on the 4th line with no confidence?

If he looks good, he'll get a callup and there's no reason to think he'll be much worse than Bourque, Toninato, or whoever replaces him. If he doesn't look good, he may stay with the Eagles.

The Avs are trying to make the playoffs, and they need offense. Bourque, Toninato, LOC, and Agozzino are unlikely to be much help in that department. At least Jost has the potential to if he looks good in minors.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
For **** sakes. Leave him there.

Right! This is stupid. If there's any hope for Jost, it involves extended time in the A to work on his development. Best case here is that Jost goes down to the A for a few games, gets a bit full of himself since he's performing a lot better, gets called back to the Avs and then just hits another wall. This is upsetting.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Right! This is stupid. If there's any hope for Jost, it involves extended time in the A to work on his development. Best case here is that Jost goes down to the A for a few games, gets a bit full of himself since he's performing a lot better, gets called back to the Avs and then just hits another wall. This is upsetting.
No, I think the best case scenario is that he comes back and becomes the best player to ever play the game :sarcasm:

Reactions: missionAvs

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
At the end of the day, I don't think the Avs see Jost the same way that a lot of people here do. I don't think that they see him as a guy that needs more physical development, they could have left him in college if they wanted that. I think they think that he is NHL ready, it's just about him finding mental consistency. I don't agree with this, but this seems to be their thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad