Value of: Tyson Barrie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You're bending over backwards to brag about you're ignorance. Maybe someone will teach you one day. It's not difficult to look up stats.
What a ridiculous comment again trying to be clever. It's not difficult to watch a hockey game and understand the style of play the player plays. He may not have been effective but he is a puck moving d man stylistically. There's nothing more ignorant than posting stats and pretending you're intelligent when you can't even identify the players style of play by actually watching the games.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
What a ridiculous comment again trying to be clever. It's not difficult to watch a hockey game and understand the style of play the player plays. He may not have been effective but he is a puck moving d man stylistically. There's nothing more ignorant than posting stats and pretending you're intelligent when you can't even identify the players style of play by actually watching the games.
I've never seen someone so upset over a fact.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I felt like the first 2-3 weeks he came in, we were all very "pleasantly surprised". Like, he had been advertised as mostly a "cap dump" who was flat out attrocious defensively. But he actually played pretty well for us. At both ends.

But maybe we were a little "high" from everything that went on for Nashville around the deadline? It was a CRAZY time. Our eyeballs popped, then our brains exploded. It was nuts.

So maybe we initially over-estimated Barrie? Or, at any rate, he sort of slid downhill in our estimation as time went on. I mean, he only played 24 games for us anyway. So it's a tiny sample either way. And our roster was so decimated by injuries for most of that time that we were like a lottery-caliber team on the ice, being barely held together by Saros and a few kids. So it's a really impossible environment in which to draw any firm conclusions. But I think towards the end we were all starting to think "oh... that's what they meant about Barrie being awful defensively?"
:dunno:
I don't ever really remember anyone thinking he was awful defensively, even by the end of the season. Seems to me the general opinion was that he was Ekholm by no means, but he wasn't god awful either. Felt like most of us thought if you put him with the right partner and he could be mostly decent on that side of things.

Yeah he's not going to shut anyone down, and he is going to make mistakes, but at least he generates enough offense to make up for it, unlike Lauzon :laugh:

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
He's a puck moving d man. He had a poor 24 games that doesn't change the description of the style of play.
He doesn’t move the puck. He excels at playing in the offensive zone. Being small and putting up points doesn’t make him a puck moving defenseman.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

He actually brings evidence while you bring up the “ I watch dem real Gud” argument. Which provides no facts, just heavily subjective opinion.

Hot take: your eyes aren’t better than others and people can see very different things by actually watching the games.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't ever really remember anyone thinking he was awful defensively, even by the end of the season. Seems to me the general opinion was that he was Ekholm by no means, but he wasn't god awful either. Felt like most of us thought if you put him with the right partner and he could be mostly decent on that side of things.

Yeah he's not going to shut anyone down, and he is going to make mistakes, but at least he generates enough offense to make up for it, unlike Lauzon :laugh:
Agreed, it is more like the initial view was like "oh... he's actually surprisingly decent defensively?"... which gradually transitioned to "oh... maybe not THAT decent, but does still bring offesnse", and who really knows in the end because it was 24 games when we were icing an AHL-caliber roster. So I don't take either end of the spectrum very seriously.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
There's a long list of still unsigned UFA defensemen I'd sign before I'd trade for Barrie at 4.5 million.

Dumba, Bear, Caleb Jones, Simon Benoit, Cal Foote. And that's without even adding joke names yet. How about Edler? He's only 37. 15 healthy games from Ryan Murray might be a good choice.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Negative value. You'd need to include a first to get a team to take on a guy who belongs in the AHL at his salary. He's worse than useless and hurts any team he's on with his complete inability to play defence.

• Haha
Reactions: Armourboy

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If Bouchard gets goofy and overplays his hand, I’d definitely be interested in bringing back Barrie at double retention if Nashville and a 3rd party were willing to do so (I’m looking at you Chicago).

Then we could trade Bouch for an upgrade elsewhere.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
If Bouchard gets goofy and overplays his hand, I’d definitely be interested in bringing back Barrie at double retention if Nashville and a 3rd party were willing to do so (I’m looking at you Chicago).

Preds don't need any third party help in terms of retention.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I mean if you need a PP QB he's pretty good at it. He's a small 3rd pairing defenseman at ES. That doesn't have a ton of value. I wouldn't have interest because he's a very small upgrade on Rasmus Andersson as a PP QB and a very big downgrade on Weegar or Tanev as our 3rd pairing RD.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Yeah why not bring barrie back if he's retained he is able to lead the NHL in d points on the Oilers, I do prefer Bouchard but at how much

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He doesn’t move the puck. He excels at playing in the offensive zone. Being small and putting up points doesn’t make him a puck moving defenseman.
He has excelled at moving the puck up the ice. Not as much as he used to be he certainly has had success at it in his career. It seems the sports pretty new to you.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
He has excelled at moving the puck up the ice. Not as much as he used to be he certainly has had success at it in his career. It seems the sports pretty new to you.
His specialty is moving the puck to the other team because he refuses to even try to play like an NHLer in his own zone. He's also pretty good at fishing the puck out of his net and handing it to the officials.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His specialty is moving the puck to the other team because he refuses to even try to play like an NHLer in his own zone. He's also pretty good at fishing the puck out of his net and handing it to the officials.
Lol listening to fans rip on him with these 'clever' responses is hilarious. When he's made 40 million in his career played almost 800 games and is gonna hit 500 points as a d man. Honestly he's probably being playing pro longer than most people have been hacking away at their keyboards. Where did all you play? How much money have you made? Losers.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
keep walking it back. It’s ok to not understand stats Or the player. Small + points doesn’t always = puck moving defenseman.

Barrie isn’t the guy you use in the defensive zone to move the puck. He’s the guy you start in the offensive zone to put up points.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
You can tell it's summer when there's 15 arguments over whether someone is a PMD or OFD. Call him whatever, he's more of an offensive defenseman than a defensive defenseman.

Either way, I was just trying to gauge his value not get into it over the 3 letter acronym I used to describe him. If you know enough to argue about what style offensive defenseman he is, surely you know enough to answer the question.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
One thing I will say about Barrie, outside of his play on the ice, is he came into a situation where the Preds were trending down and the Oilers were trending up, and he really seemed to be "positive" and immediately synched himself up with the room and was liked. He seems to have a very positive outlook about things. I think we've had a few TDL players come into Nashville in recent years who have kind of gone into a total funk with the change. But Barrie seemed upbeat, he was Making An Effort. If the on-ice sample is insufficient to draw any firm conclusions from, I will say I liked the (small glimpses) we had of the off-ice persona? FWIW.
:dunno:

Barrie is a great team player and was loved in Edmonton. Still very effective at getting the puck out and can quarterback a power play. If a team’s #1 PP dman is out at the deadline I could see them having interest in Barrie. I think he would be effective on any team starving for some offense.

Ledge And Dairy

OT, but I despise the term, it basically is used as a synonym for OFD.

To me a PMD, is someone who excels at retrieving pucks and moving them away from pressure, heavy forecheck...
This exactly. Barrie is not a puck moving defenseman. PMD's are guys who are reliable in their own end and excel at things like breakouts and breakins. They are the ones who often make the outlet passes and/or have the speed or skating skills to carry the puck up ice without needing to just dump and chase every single time. Miro Heiskanen is an excellent example of a PMD. Mekhail Sergachev is also a very good PMD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad