Value of: Tyler Toffoli

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
As others said, I'd expect the Devils to keep him unless the wheels completely fell off the wagon by the deadline.

For value, I'd guess something closer to what Toffoli fetched as a rental in 2020 (Tyler Madden + 2nd rounder).

Maybe they could work out a condition that the 2nd would get upgraded to a 1st if the acquiring team made the Conference Final (and the 1st would get bumped to the final four picks of the round). Rangers had that condition on Andrew Copp (exercised) and Patrick Kane (not exercised) in recent years.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
For a cup contender I would hang onto him because Tyler scores big goals in the playoffs. Let him walk in the summer.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Last year was pretty unusual historically. 5 guaranteed 1sts moved for rentals (Orlov, Bertuzzi, O'Reilly, Horvat, Tarasenko). Gavrikov+Korpisalo was a conditional that transferred. Kane was a conditional that didn't. 2022 was 3 guaranteed, inclusive of the Lindholm T&S, and 1 conditional that transferred (Copp) and 1 that didn't (Fleury). 2021 was just 3 guaranteed (Foligno, Palmieri, Savard). 2020 was just 1 guaranteed (Pageau T&S).

2 are off the board already. Hanifin is certainly worthy of one, if moved. Guentzel's availability is a bigger question mark, but his value is not in doubt. I'm not sold on it, but Henrqiue does have that positional value attached to him. You can make the argument for any of that next tier individually (Tanev, Tarasenko, Toffoli, Walker), but the numbers stop making sense at a certain point, unless last year is the new normal.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Depends on demand for what he brings.

C and D are just generally worth more. Slow or not, Top Titty can still play and has playoff experience.

I just don't know how many contenders need (or want) goal scoring and 5v5 play.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Toffoli is pacing for 37 goals this season. I mean... if you have one skill... scoring seems like a good one does it not.

Depends on demand for what he brings.

C and D are just generally worth more. Slow or not, Top Titty can still play and has playoff experience.

I just don't know how many contenders need (or want) goal scoring and 5v5 play.
A lot of them!

His -9 is a bit concerning though.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Still unlikely he gets traded as the young core will get kind of pissed at management if they don't at least try to make a run towards making the playoffs, where you never know what will happen. But if the Devils can't trade for a goalie upgrade, then the smart/NHL 24 thing would be to recoup some assets for Toffoli if a team makes a really good offer.

What is the market for him and what would realistically be offered in a last-minute, deadline day trade? In this situation, Devils could retain.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Still unlikely he gets traded as the young core will get kind of pissed at management if they don't at least try to make a run towards making the playoffs, where you never know what will happen. But if the Devils can't trade for a goalie upgrade, then the smart/NHL 24 thing would be to recoup some assets for Toffoli if a team makes a really good offer.

What is the market for him and what would realistically be offered in a last-minute, deadline day trade? In this situation, Devils could retain.
If Devils get a goalie like Markstom I have them up there with Rangers as favorites to get out of east. Just a notch under Florida. Doubt they going to throw their season away.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
4 points out right now. If they can't address the goal tending, moving Toffoli would be shrewd. TT is a solid goal scorer and won't burn you defensively.

I could see him getting more or less what he got in the summer: a first or a vg prospect and a mid level pick.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
4 points out right now. If they can't address the goal tending, moving Toffoli would be shrewd. TT is a solid goal scorer and won't burn you defensively.

I could see him getting more or less what he got in the summer: a first or a vg prospect and a mid level pick.

Should be much less I would figure considering one less year on contract. So instead of getting Toffoli for 2 years, you’re only getting him for 3 months. That said retention would add some value back. But still, it should be less return overall.

Reactions: banks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he is available I hope Treliving is calling because while the Leafs do need a D man, they could also use 1 more depth scorer.

Ias good as he's been I'm not convinced Bobby Mcmann is this dude.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Devils should attempt to use Toffoli to get a goalie, sending him out for a draft pick isn't what they should be looking at right now.

Toffoli for Knight or Thompson.

No idea if Florida or Vegas would be even slightly interested in this though, it's just what I think the Devils should try to do and both of teams are buyers with an extra goalie.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Too late for these moves to make the playoffs

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Devils should attempt to use Toffoli to get a goalie, sending him out for a draft pick isn't what they should be looking at right now.

Toffoli for Knight or Thompson.

No idea if Florida or Vegas would be even slightly interested in this though, it's just what I think the Devils should try to do and both of teams are buyers with an extra goalie.

Not sure if Florida would do that. Could bite them in the ass pretty bad.

Thompson, maybe. Vegas has so many ex-kings why not ad another.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The way things are trending, New Jersey's 1st will be too valuable to trade for a Markstrom or Ullmark in the Summer. I doubt the Devils will draft that high for a while and that's a meaningful chance at a future impact contributor. Think about what Jarvis (Marleau cap dump gamble) has done for Carolina's outlook moving forward.

Getting a 2024 2nd back in the arsenal would be helpful, particularly if a bubble team is interested. L.A. would have been perfect (currently 50OA), but that was traded in the Petersen dump. There's some possibilities at 53-57: Carolina via Philadelphia, Edmonton, Detroit, Vegas.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Kings would make sense if Viktor Arvidsson is out awhile since they don't have many RH wingers as it is. Plus that would open up LTIR cap space. LA doesn't have their 2nd rounder though and I have my doubts that they'd move their 1st.

Although maybe they could do something like a conditional 2025 2nd + future considerations (B prospect to be selected later) that could turn into a 2024 1st if LA made the Conference Final (pick would be locked into 29-32)?

Vegas could make some sense but seems like they'd prefer a natural LW especially if Mark Stone eventually comes back during the playoffs.

Maybe Nashville? They have their own 2nd plus Tampa's. They probably have a bigger need at center though.

But as others said, it'll depend on how the Devils do leading to March 8. Two games at Anaheim/LA and two at home against Florida/StL.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils probably don’t make a decision on until deadline day, considering they still have a shot at the Lightning/Flyers spots.

I’m definitely in favor of trading him cause I can’t see this team doing much damage in the playoffs after all the depth they lost the last year.

Would hope Fitz gets equivalent value of a 1st for Toffoli. I would love to get Turcotte or another similar center in return, but I think that’s a pipe dream. Kaliyev + pick also feels like an interesting target

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad