Value of: Tyler Myers as a UFA.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I don’t think he gets bought out—but I think the Canucks will be motivated to retain to move him this off-season.

Whoever acquires him in then will probably be able to flip him at a further 50% and get a decent return.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
why would they buy him out when his contract ends after next season

you would save like 667k at most on cap hit

On the surface you are correct, However Vancouver does things.

Things they shouldn't do, like trading a top 10 pick to take on OEL, and Garland's contract.

Or trading a 1st when they are rebuilding

Or signing JT Miller to 8X7

or Loui Eriksson to 6X6.

Vancouver does things

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I think if Myers is in your top 4 youre in trouble. If hes on your bottom pair youre probably doing alright. How much do you want to pay a bottom pair defensemen? $2.5m x2 maybe.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
After his 6M bonus is paid out, he should be easily more moveable. There will always be teams looking for a big RHD that can skate. Myers has also transformed into a more physical defenseman so teams will get an added boost in physicality. Defensively, he’s a trainwreck lol.

He’s worth about maybe a 3rd, definitely a 4th round pick.

Reactions: canuckslover10

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta

Things they shouldn't do, like trading a top 10 pick to take on OEL, and Garland's contract.

or Loui Eriksson to 6X6.

Vancouver does things

They'd save more on the cap by waiving him then buying him out. I might not agree with things the team does but they still do the job for a living. You are being silly.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
After his 6M bonus is paid out, he should be easily more moveable. There will always be teams looking for a big RHD that can skate. Myers has also transformed into a more physical defenseman so teams will get an added boost in physicality. Defensively, he’s a trainwreck lol.

He’s worth about maybe a 3rd, definitely a 4th round pick.

I don't want to estimate his worth, but I agree after the signing bonus is paid he could easily be moved.

The major wrinkle is supposedly his signing bonus is scheduled to be paid Sept 15th.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

or Loui Eriksson to 6X6.

Vancouver does things
Aren’t those people gone ? Though Toronto might be hiring them after they fire Dumbass.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I don’t think he gets bought out—but I think the Canucks will be motivated to retain to move him this off-season.

Whoever acquires him in then will probably be able to flip him at a further 50% and get a decent return.
No need to retain, they could just trade him to Arizona with the full cap hit, while Arizona pays 1 mil instead of 6 mil after bonuses are paid out. They can get rid of him with a 3rd round pick attached

or Loui Eriksson to 6X6.

Vancouver does things
You name all of the Bennings move when he is not here anymore? Might as well also include Luongo signing and Sundin signing too. Miller signing and trading a 1st for Hronek were actually fine and the rest are Benning moves which were terrible.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
why would they buy him out when his contract ends after next season

you would save like 667k at most on cap hit

Yeah. Buying him out makes absolutely no sense. Saves them basically nothing next year, and adds half that $666k "savings" to the year after next.

Especially pointless to buy him out when once his bonus is paid out...he has barely any salary at all left to pay out. That'd make him attractive to cap floor teams. He's still a big tall giraffe of a RHD. Teams look for guys like that, even if he's often a bit of a circus defensively.

As far as a UFA contract...i wouldn't be surprised to see him sign on somewhere for something not too different from Gudbranson's contract. Not sure if the book is fully out on Myers at this point...but i wouldn't count on it, since i thought the book was out on Gudbranson, but a team still made that mistake out of desperation for a big RHD.

The better, more likely comp is probably Ceci. Similar sort of player in a lot of respects. So $3.25M for a few years sounds about right. Just have to be okay with have a #4/5 tweener at best for that price. A guy who you really don't want anywhere near your Top-4...but with the right partner and behind the right better guys, might be able to play fringe Top-4 minutes and survive. :dunno:

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023

or Loui Eriksson to 6X6.

Vancouver does things

Or signing a 40 year old Patrick Marleau to 3 years and then paying a 1st to move him

Or signing a player like JT Miller but worse to 11x7

Or finding a way to lose Verhaeghe, Marchment, Kadri, Hyman, Mikheyev, Malgin, Durzi, Brown, Moore, Andersen from their organization while needing depth to compete for a cup with nothing to show for any of it

Wait are we talking about Vancouver or Dubas

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Aren’t those people gone ? Though Toronto might be hiring them after they fire Dumbass.

2 of those moves, JT Miller and the Horonek trade were done by current management

No need to retain, they could just trade him to Arizona with the full cap hit, while Arizona pays 1 mil instead of 6 mil after bonuses are paid out. They can get rid of him with a 3rd round pick attached

You name all of the Bennings move when he is not here anymore? Might as well also include Luongo signing and Sundin signing too. Miller signing and trading a 1st for Hronek were actually fine and the rest are Benning moves which were terrible.

Horonek trade and signing JT Miller weren't Benning moves.

Reactions: General Disarray

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

or Loui Eriksson to 6X6.

Vancouver does things

Cutting a guy when it doesn’t make any financial sense is completely different though- they spend too much on bad players, sure, but there’s no track record of cutting guys to save a few bucks.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
2 of those moves, JT Miller and the Horonek trade were done by current management

Horonek trade and signing JT Miller weren't Benning moves.
If you can read, then you can see that I said that and those aren't bad moves at all. Hronek is a top 4 D and we will see how he develops moving forward but it's a late 1st. JT Miller is performing like a 10 million dollar player at 8 million dollar Pay so how did you figure Miller contract is bad? Those are standard signings now, look at Horvat, Kadri, Huberdeau, etc. And see no player in his prime will sign a 3 to 4 year contract when he is 29 to 30 and scoring 100 points. Only HFboard experts think they can sign players to 4 year contracts when players look for long term contracts unless they like to play for charity

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

or Loui Eriksson to 6X6.

Vancouver does things

Most of those are under Benning. Miller's signing is mixed, but there's justifications to the signing.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad