Confirmed with Link: TYLER MOTTE TO NYR

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
The narrative that teams don't add is just patently false anyway. Every Cup winner adds something at the deadline. Tampa traded 3 1st's in two years to win two Cups. Some Cup winners made their trades over the summer to bolster their lineup (ROR, Kessel, etc...) and sacrificed picks and players.

This "solely through the draft" bullshit is just that. Bullshit.

No, that's not true.

I literally the other day went through the Cup winning teams' trade deadline moves back to like 2016. Hardly any of them rent big. Even the teams who gave up firsts did so for players they were intent on keeping long term (Colorado with Lehkonen) or who at least had term (Tampa with Goodrow and Coleman).

None of Washington, Pittsburgh, or St. Louis added hardly at all.

Here it is, I found it -

Avalanche in 2022 -

1) a second and Justin Barron for Lehkonen, who was actually a long term piece and re-signed with the Avalance.
2) A second for Josh Manson.

Two seconds and a middle tier prospect, and they got back a long term piece in Lehkonen. That's smart business.

Tampa in 2021 -

Frederick Claesson for Magnus Chroma. That's it.

Tampa in 2020 -

Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow for firsts - but each had term, and were not UFAs that summer.

St. Louis in 2019 -

Michael Del Zotto for a 6th round pick.

Washington in 2018 -

1) Michael Kempny for a 3rd round pick.
2) Jakub Jerabek for a 5th round pick.

Pittsburgh in 2017 -
1) Mark Streit for a 4th
2) Ron Hainsey for a 2nd

Pittburgh in 2016 -

1) Justin Schultz for a 3rd
2) Carl Hagelin for David Perron and Adam Clendening

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides and Sayba

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Late 1st round draft picks are lottery tickets as well.

Yeah, TDL adding assets doesn't guarantee you a Cup. Nothing does. 3% of teams win the Cup every year and 97% don't. I'm in the camp of adding players that have a future with the team but the Rangers clearly aren't in that position given the people they need to sign and the cap that they have. So far, I give Drury an "A" for this deadline. He hasn't given up much.
Even better odds. 3% is beginning of year. Once you lock in your spot (with your deadline adds) you go up to 6%, all things being equal.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure if anyone's interested, but I was. So I researched 97 years of Ranger trades and this is the list of players acquired in a trade twice, and how far apart the trades were.

Mark Hardy: 2/22/1988 & 12/9/1988 (291 days)
Tyler Motte: 3/21/2022 & 2/19/2023 (335 days)
Jack Egers: 10/28/1972 & 10/28/1973 (365 days)
Brad Smyth: 11/14/1997 & 5/3/1999 (535 days)
Brian Noonan: 3/21/1994 & 11/13/1996 (962 days)
Rod Seiling: 2/22/1964 & 6/6/1967 (1200 days)
Esa Tikkanen: 3/17/1993 & 3/8/1997 (1452 days)
Ron Stewart: 11/29/1967 & 3/5/1972 (1558 days)
Petr Nedvěd: 7/24/1994 & 11/25/1998 (1585 days)
Real Lemieux: 6/9/1969 & 11/30/1973 (1635 days)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
In 30 years you haven’t had a team this talented. This much a cup contender. 30 friggen years. When you’re 40 50 60 you realize what that means. Maybe when you’re a teenager or a 20 something year old kid that means less. But to worry about draft picks when you are this close is foolish. 30 f***ing years you haven’t had a team like this. Now is not the time to hold your chips. They all go in period.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
No, that's not true.

I literally the other day went through the Cup winning teams' trade deadline moves back to like 2016. Hardly any of them rent big. Even the teams who gave up firsts did so for players they were intent on keeping long term (Colorado with Lehkonen) or who at least had term (Tampa with Goodrow and Coleman).

Here it is, I found it -

Avalanche in 2022 -

1) a second and Justin Barron for Lehkonen, who was actually a long term piece and re-signed with the Avalance.

Two seconds and a middle tier prospect, and they got back a long term piece in Lehkonen. That's smart business.

Tampa in 2021 -

Tampa in 2020 -

Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow for firsts - but each had term, and were not UFAs that summer.

St. Louis in 2019 -

Washington in 2018 -

Pittsburgh in 2017 -
1) Mark Streit for a 4th
2) Ron Hainsey for a 2nd

Pittburgh in 2016 -

A.) I specifically said trade deadline -OR- bolstered their roster acquiring players for picks in the off season and cited examples (ROR, Kessel, etc...). I said nothing about pure rentals or otherwise nor did I limit my statement to TDL moves.

B.) Untrue, because Tampa Bay added David Savard for a first round pick + in 2021 and was a pure rental

C.) True that every Cup winner has added something at the deadline. FACT.

Even better odds. 3% is beginning of year. Once you lock in your spot (with your deadline adds) you go up to 6%, all things being equal.

3% of teams win the Cup every year. Those aren't odds. 1 Cup, 32 teams, ~3%.

Reactions: RGY

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
And don’t get me wrong if the choice is bjugstad or Bonino to sure up the 4th line and this is what we have? I still think we’re a heck of a team. But there is a weakness there on the right side that if Tarasenko or kakko get hurt you’ve got very very little left to win with. And you are going up against NJ or Carolina or Boston Toronto. Need goals.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
And don’t get me wrong if the choice is bjugstad or Bonino to sure up the 4th line and this is what we have? I still think we’re a heck of a team. But there is a weakness there on the right side that if Tarasenko or kakko get hurt you’ve got very very little left to win with. And you are going up against NJ or Carolina or Boston Toronto. Need goals.

Not sure there's a scorer out there that fits that need. Were going to lean on our stars and the Kid Line for offense. The D will get involved as well.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Bjugstad could move up. He can play RW. Which is if its really between the two of those players its better to have that flexibility.

Not ideal of course, but what would happen is Vesey would take the higher RW spot and then Bjugstad could follow with one of Brodz or Cuylle taking the empty spot.

Upgrading Leschsyshyn would make this a true 4 line team, but yeah they are thin on that side

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No, that's not true.

Here it is, I found it -

Avalanche in 2022 -

Tampa in 2021 -

Tampa in 2020 -

St. Louis in 2019 -

Washington in 2018 -

Pittsburgh in 2017 -
1) Mark Streit for a 4th
2) Ron Hainsey for a 2nd

Pittburgh in 2016 -

Did you think Nils was a middle tier prospect?

Barron is/was in the same tier.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ

In 30 years you haven’t had a team this talented. This much a cup contender. 30 friggen years. When you’re 40 50 60 you realize what that means. Maybe when you’re a teenager or a 20 something year old kid that means less. But to worry about draft picks when you are this close is foolish. 30 f***ing years you haven’t had a team like this. Now is not the time to hold your chips. They all go in period.
No 1st's for Patty

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

And yet, they do it almost every year they are on track to qualify for the POs.

The East is an absolute gauntlet this year. Going to take an incredible amount of puck, officiating, and injury luck to get through the top 6 teams in the conference. Deciding “this is the year” given that is extremely questionable.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We’re literally talking about Kane.
I can live with Kravtsov for Kane.

I don't know how much more it'd cost for 3rd party retention....

I do not want to give up a 1st or 2nd for him unless it comes with winning a Stanley Cup stipulation.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

The East is an absolute gauntlet this year. Going to take an incredible amount of puck, officiating, and injury luck to get through the top 6 teams in the conference. Deciding “this is the year” given that is extremely questionable.
Well, I mean, what's the alternative? You kind of want to give it your best shot while Tampa and Boston decline (which they are......they're getting insane amount of contributions from scrubs, that won't last), Florida is having a down year, and the Devils/Sabres are still kind of green and inexperienced.

I totally get that the East is a bloodbath and probably the best it's been in at least 20 years but the Rangers put themselves in a corner with Igor's contract and probably need to go as all in as they can.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Well, I mean, what's the alternative? You kind of want to give it your best shot while Tampa and Boston decline (which they are......they're getting insane amount of contributions from scrubs, that won't last), Florida is having a down year, and the Devils/Sabres are still kind of green and inexperienced.

I totally get that the East is a bloodbath and probably the best it's been in at least 20 years but the Rangers put themselves in a corner with Igor's contract and probably need to go as all in as they can.

It's just painful to look back at the pile of assets the NYR have burned over the years in the name of 20 game additions that could have instead gone into pieces that actually help the roster over the short + medium term.

Giving up 1sts for players like Hagel or Chychrun makes so much more sense to me than what the NYR have historically done. Counting on being able to perfectly time things and identify that "this is the year" is IMO a really inefficient way to approach team building because of the amount of luck required to actually win it all in any given year. Then layer on that this year seems especially strenuous in that regard given the competition.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Not sure if anyone's interested, but I was. So I researched 97 years of Ranger trades and this is the list of players acquired in a trade twice, and how far apart the trades were.

Mark Hardy: 2/22/1988 & 12/9/1988 (291 days)
Tyler Motte: 3/21/2022 & 2/19/2023 (335 days)
Jack Egers: 10/28/1972 & 10/28/1973 (365 days)
Brad Smyth: 11/14/1997 & 5/3/1999 (535 days)
Brian Noonan: 3/21/1994 & 11/13/1996 (962 days)
Rod Seiling: 2/22/1964 & 6/6/1967 (1200 days)
Esa Tikkanen: 3/17/1993 & 3/8/1997 (1452 days)
Ron Stewart: 11/29/1967 & 3/5/1972 (1558 days)
Petr Nedvěd: 7/24/1994 & 11/25/1998 (1585 days)
Real Lemieux: 6/9/1969 & 11/30/1973 (1635 days)
Really surprised Martin Rucinsky isn't on that list. Was he signed twice and traded for the other time? Not sure why I thought we traded for him twice.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
No, that's not true.

Here it is, I found it -

Avalanche in 2022 -

Tampa in 2021 -

Tampa in 2020 -

St. Louis in 2019 -

Washington in 2018 -

Pittsburgh in 2017 -
1) Mark Streit for a 4th
2) Ron Hainsey for a 2nd

Pittburgh in 2016 -

This is a great post, if you’re going to give top assets you want more than just 1/2 a season and 1 playoff run. I understand maybe that’s not an option and if we win a cup who cares but it’s a big risk to make such short term deals. Maybe the 1st we gave up is a guy who would have played here 10 years.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Not saying I want Kane but if you wait for other teams to show you when the "perfect" time to go all-in is, it will never come.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
No, that's not true.

Here it is, I found it -

Avalanche in 2022 -

Tampa in 2021 -

Tampa in 2020 -

St. Louis in 2019 -

Washington in 2018 -

Pittsburgh in 2017 -
1) Mark Streit for a 4th
2) Ron Hainsey for a 2nd

Pittburgh in 2016 -

Of those 2016 and 2018 were bang for buck and had a huge impact on the team, while 2020 and 2022 were costly.

Not saying I want Kane but if you wait for other teams to show you when the "perfect" time to go all-in is, it will never come.

If it's Kane for $.25 on the dollar then fine. I wouldn't even give up an Edstrom/Berard/Grubbe for him.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Of those 2016 and 2018 were bang for buck and had a huge impact on the team, while 2020 and 2022 were costly.

Both Tampa Bay and Colorado have made major deadline moves leading up to the last 3 Cup wins, not sure that's proving his point that it never works.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
It's just painful to look back at the pile of assets the NYR have burned over the years in the name of 20 game additions that could have instead gone into pieces that actually help the roster over the short + medium term.

Giving up 1sts for players like Hagel or Chychrun makes so much more sense to me than what the NYR have historically done. Counting on being able to perfectly time things and identify that "this is the year" is IMO a really inefficient way to approach team building because of the amount of luck required to actually win it all in any given year. Then layer on that this year seems especially strenuous in that regard given the competition.
I don’t disagree with any of this

Reactions: GbgRanger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad