Value of: Tyler Bertuzzi at TDL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Leafs will have to add to get rid of his caphit. He's been that bad. He has 6 goals. Might end the season with 9.

If they did decide to move him, they would have to find a destination he wants to go to that has interest in him. That seems like it would really limit the field. Then factor in would it be a team that could benefit from him who isn’t in competition with Toronto… seems like a tall order.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I'd take him back on detroit as a rental, maybe Maatta for Bertuzzi as someone above mentioned. Toronto needs defense and Maatta is a reliable #4-6.

I don't think he suits Toronto's style of play at all. Detroit, even though they are soft, generates their offense similar to Boston, through high-intensity, high-pace play, with lots of dirty goals and battles won. Bertuzzi is not the guy to play a finesse, skill-based game with the likes of Matthews/Marner/Nylander.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
There is no market and he's not waiving anyway, unless it's to go to a clearly superior contender. It's not impossible, but it would be really tough to thread that needle. The irony is that he's a good playoff performer. He just hasn't had a particularly good season to date.

Assuming for the moment that the Leafs make it to the dance, I think he'll change some perceptions at the eleventh hour. Then there will be regret when they don't have the cap space to keep him and he walks.

Reactions: Marshall

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
God no, Bertuzzi is a black hole
Lol Tocchet thinks the same thing of Kuzmenko, and given the extra year, he might thing Kuzmenko is 2x the black hole.

I'd trade Tyler Myers for Tyler Bertuzzi and a pick (Myers is actually pretty decent this year, but he costs more at $6 million, so just a mild sweetener (at worst straight up).

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
Lol Tocchet thinks the same thing of Kuzmenko, and given the extra year, he might thing Kuzmenko is 2x the black hole.

I'd trade Tyler Myers for Tyler Bertuzzi and a pick (Myers is actually pretty decent this year, but he costs more at $6 million, so just a mild sweetener (at worst straight up).
If there was a bit of retention on Kuzmenko, id conisder it. But 5.5m for the extra year is just a bit too rich for our cap situation.

Wennberg and Larsson for Bertuzzi and Brodie?

8.5m vs 10.5m.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
If there was a bit of retention on Kuzmenko, id conisder it. But 5.5m for the extra year is just a bit too rich for our cap situation.
Like $500k to $1 million? Deal (but that should also reduce the sweetener for that reason). Vancouver doesn't have much space now either.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
tuzzi for holl whose at 3.4 thru 2025/26 . leaf save 2 mil cap hit , and get a dman back that fits right into the system instantly . tuzzi back with larks should click again enhancing detroit attack . plus detroit dumps holls future cap , and replaces with edvinsson
*they’re

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I'd take him back on detroit as a rental, maybe Maatta for Bertuzzi as someone above mentioned. Toronto needs defense and Maatta is a reliable #4-6.

I don't think he suits Toronto's style of play at all. Detroit, even though they are soft, generates their offense similar to Boston, through high-intensity, high-pace play, with lots of dirty goals and battles won. Bertuzzi is not the guy to play a finesse, skill-based game with the likes of Matthews/Marner/Nylander.

There's so many issues with this post.

1. While Toronto does need a D, they don't need a 4-6. They have plenty of those, and I don't think Maatta would make the Leafs lineup.

2. Nobody is asking Bertuzzi to play a finesse, skill-based game. All he needs to go is to to the net and score the dirty goals, and win battles. He's not doing that. The Leafs have given him plenty of opportunity to figure it out, and he hasn't.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Looks like this year is going to cost him a bunch of money.
Rolled the dice...He 'crapped out'.

1. While Toronto does need a D, they don't need a 4-6. They have plenty of those, and I don't think Maatta would make the Leafs lineup.

2. Nobody is asking Bertuzzi to play a finesse, skill-based game. All he needs to go is to to the net and score the dirty goals, and win battles. He's not doing that. The Leafs have given him plenty of opportunity to figure it out, and he hasn't.
Holl for Bertuzzi?

:sarcasm:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

He doesn’t do that either. That isn’t the kind of player he is. He is not a power forward despite the reputation he has for some unknown reason. He’s a skill player but not good enough to keep up with Matthews-Marner, and he isn’t a grinder that can bury the dirty goals. He does best as a high energy scorer where he js partially responsible for driving the line. This is the role he played in Boston. If the puck isn’t on his stick a good chunk of the time he’s on the ice he won’t be effective.

I think the problem in toronto is a misunderstanding of who this player is driven by his last name.

It’s also funny you say maatta wouldn’t make the leafs lineup as if toronto is a way better team than Detroit when they’re 1 point ahead.

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Mount Arrowsmith Brewing
As a Wings fan, I wouldn't take him back even if he were offered to the Wings for free. Can't stand him. Never really liked him to begin with, but his antics during the pandemic were the final nail in the coffin.

So glad he's someone else's problem now.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

Ledge And Dairy

Damn, $5.5M is a lot of money for Toronto for 4-7 games!

But seriously, if this year is any indicator, Bertuzzi fits Boston's team identity way better than Toronto's. I actually thought Boston was the perfect fit for Bert.
I think this says more about the problem with Toronto's "team identity" than it does with Bert

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

He plays most of his minutes with Tavares, all the Tavares line does is let Nylander gain the zone and either he scores or they spend the shift shovelling garbage from the wall to the netfront. Bertuzzi is mediocre specifically in the areas everyone hyped him up in, he’s just ok in front of the net and he has awful strength on his skates on the wall, he falls more than a 5’10 Robertson.

Even the puck dominant energy stuff is below the level of even Bunting imo. He plays like someone slipped an Adderall into David Clarkson’s drink.

Last edited:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
He doesn’t do that either. That isn’t the kind of player he is. He is not a power forward despite the reputation he has for some unknown reason. He’s a skill player but not good enough to keep up with Matthews-Marner, and he isn’t a grinder that can bury the dirty goals. He does best as a high energy scorer where he js partially responsible for driving the line. This is the role he played in Boston. If the puck isn’t on his stick a good chunk of the time he’s on the ice he won’t be effective.

I think the problem in toronto is a misunderstanding of who this player is driven by his last name.

It’s also funny you say maatta wouldn’t make the leafs lineup as if toronto is a way better team than Detroit when they’re 1 point ahead.

I agree with your first paragraph. He's not a powerforward, but they signed him thinking he was.

I don't agree with this. The Leafs have marginal cap space. Do you think Maatta is ~2.5M ish better than Giordano, Benoit, or Liljegren? Those are the Leafs' 4-5-6. The answer is clearly no.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy, but

Bang on in your assessment. For Bertuzzi to be successful, he needs to clearly be the 2nd most skilled player on his line, ideally behind the centre.

The Leafs problem with Bertuzzi is the same problem they have with Robertson; and the reason why Pontus Holmberg has been getting looks on the top line... Matthews and Marner don't want or need a ton of skill on their line. They simply need somebody who can skate, win some battles, and get them the puck. It's similar for Tavares & Nylander. It's why Zach Hyman was so successful here, and why he continues to be so successful in Edmonton.

That being said, IF the Leafs actually wanted to move him, I personally don't think his value is as "doom and gloom" as everyone here says.

He got a 1st + 4th at last year's deadline at 50% with a $2.4m cap hit. His stat line that season prior to the trade - 29 GP, 4 goals, 10 assists. Nobody else has the "Big 4" dynamic that the Leafs do; where you need highly specific LWers in the top 6, and don't use your 3rd line enough. Many contenders will look at him as the perfect 2nd/3rd line addition for a long playoff run.

They'd need to either retain 50%, or find somebody else to... which shouldn't be at all difficult given he only makes $775k. It's gonna cost a retaining team like $100k in real dollars. Even the NMC, not the biggest problem in the world. Bertuzzi's gameplan was to put up big numbers and get himself a big time deal. If he's not going to produce in Toronto, anywhere else that's a contender is better for him to have a hope of achieving that.

That being said, I also don't believe the Leafs are all that pressed to get rid of him. With Klingberg out, they've got a little bit of cap space to play with.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad