Value of: Ty Smith

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Something around a Ryan McLeod swap? I could see Edmonton adding a small+.

Edmonton could use another LD. Not sure he's the style we should target but with Keith, KK, Russell rotating those LD spots and seemingly always injured I'd roll the dice. McLeod should be a center but with McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH he's been forced to the wing. Holloway coming I think this is a move Edmonton should look at.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don’t follow the devils, but would some AHL time do him good? Defenceman take longer .

I can't see them sending him down during the regular season, but Utica is the top AHL team in the league and should be primed for a long playoff run so I wonder if he could suit up for that?

At this point, I think you have to hold onto Smith. Hopefully it's just a sophomore slump or injury-related issues this season. Probably also a good chance there's a new coaching staff in place next season, so they may also be able to help with his game.

Luke Hughes probably spends another year at Michigan and a lot of the rest of the defensive prospects are still another year or so out from competing for a spot, so I think you wait until the blueline gets a bit more crowded before making a more. Subban's likely departure will open up a RHD spot next season (Walsh?) - not sure if Bahl or Okhotyuk will be ready to make the jump next season. Devils have time to figure it out, would be bad to sell low on Smith.

BillyZito

Feb 13, 2022
If it's a deadline move this year, Graves pretty easily.

Off season move, I could see it being Smith...but given his struggles, unless we are getting dollar for dollar value, I don't see us moving him (though it could make sense to put out feelers if his game comes back a bit next year given the logjam of LHD we have).

IF Graves was to be moved, maybe Florida has the young winger/center prospects New Jersey may be after?

Not sure the cost for him but he was traded for a 2nd + prospect just a short while ago, has his value increased a lot?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
IF Graves was to be moved, maybe Florida has the young winger/center prospects New Jersey may be after?

Not sure the cost for him but he was traded for a 2nd + prospect just a short while ago, has his value increased a lot?

I'd say Graves if he's moved the bidding should start at a 1st+

Reactions: BillyZito

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

Value is definitely higher just because he has more value to the Devils right now than he likely did to the Avs in the off season. There's really no reason for the team to unload him, so you have to pay to get them interested. I have no idea what that amount would be though, tbh.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011

Edmonton could use another LD. Not sure he's the style we should target but with Keith, KK, Russell rotating those LD spots and seemingly always injured I'd roll the dice. McLeod should be a center but with McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH he's been forced to the wing. Holloway coming I think this is a move Edmonton should look at.
Yes, because we need another young center.

BillyZito

Feb 13, 2022
To you both:

Florida doesn't have their 2022 1st, gone to Buffalo in Reinhart deal but they do have prospects who would be close to value of a late 1st.

I feel Devils are lacking right hand shot wingers?
Would one of Tippett or Denisenko be intriguing as a piece in the deal?

I'd say Graves if he's moved the bidding should start at a 1st+

Value is definitely higher just because he has more value to the Devils right now than he likely did to the Avs in the off season. There's really no reason for the team to unload him, so you have to pay to get them interested. I have no idea what that amount would be though, tbh.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
To you both:

Florida doesn't have their 2022 1st, gone to Buffalo in Reinhart deal but they do have prospects who would be close to value of a late 1st.

I feel Devils are lacking right hand shot wingers?
Would one of Tippett or Denisenko be intriguing as a piece in the deal?

I would think they'd be interested in both of those guys, It'd be tough to give up Graves though

BillyZito

Feb 13, 2022
I would think they'd be interested in both of those guys, It'd be tough to give up Graves though

no doubt, just seems like you have a lot of UFA D coming up due for raises/new deals.

Haven't seen much of Siegenthaler but he seems to be having a good/promising potential year for you guys?

With PK's deal done this year, maybe NJ management will add another top 4 free agent?
Especially if Severson isn't in their long term plans?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
no doubt, just seems like you have a lot of UFA D coming up due for raises/new deals.

Haven't seen much of Siegenthaler but he seems to be having a good/promising potential year for you guys?

With PK's deal done this year, maybe NJ management will add another top 4 free agent?
Especially if Severson isn't in their long term plans?
Seigenthaler has been our best defensive D man this year.
He has been only getting better every game. I’d say Smith is the most expendable with Severson behind him , but with Severson , only because of his contract he will likely be after when he is a UFA.
Graves I’d say is not available unless it was an overpay. Same with Seigenthaler.
Devils will need a RHD depending on what they decide to do with Severson and Subban . We have no one ready for prospects to take their spots unless they move someone from the left side to the right .

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

The only deal that make sense for NJ is Ty Smith for Evan Bouchard

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

That trade value was impacted by the expansion draft. Colorado couldn't protect him, they needed to protect Makar, Girard, and Toews.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I can't see them sending him down during the regular season, but Utica is the top AHL team in the league and should be primed for a long playoff run so I wonder if he could suit up for that?

At this point, I think you have to hold onto Smith. Hopefully it's just a sophomore slump or injury-related issues this season. Probably also a good chance there's a new coaching staff in place next season, so they may also be able to help with his game.

Luke Hughes probably spends another year at Michigan and a lot of the rest of the defensive prospects are still another year or so out from competing for a spot, so I think you wait until the blueline gets a bit more crowded before making a more. Subban's likely departure will open up a RHD spot next season (Walsh?) - not sure if Bahl or Okhotyuk will be ready to make the jump next season. Devils have time to figure it out, would be bad to sell low on Smith.

Devils don’t move Smith unless they get a great deal for him as part of a package. Some team may value him with a forward prospect and a pick to bring in a player we need.

Aside from that, it does make sense to hold onto him. He may be a bit expendable now behind Hamilton/Severson for PP minutes. He likely is very expendable by the end of next year when Okhotiuk, Bahl, and Walsh all should be vying for time and Mukhmadullin and L. Hughes will likely be turning pro. Better off just hoping for a rebound year next year and that will up his value next off-season.

Reactions: HBK27

BillyZito

Feb 13, 2022
Seigenthaler has been our best defensive D man this year.
He has been only getting better every game. I’d say Smith is the most expendable with Severson behind him , but with Severson , only because of his contract he will likely be after when he is a UFA.
Graves I’d say is not available unless it was an overpay. Same with Seigenthaler.
Devils will need a RHD depending on what they decide to do with Severson and Subban . We have no one ready for prospects to take their spots unless they move someone from the left side to the right .

Sounds promising then, only really know about him because of the EA video games to be honest but looking at possible trade targets on the Devils, I went down his rabbit-hole of stats a bit.

Definitely understand the hesitation to move Graves, have there been any news of him in contract talks?
He can re-up as early as this off-season no?

Would they re-sign Subban? Guess it makes some sense if shorter term/stopgap while you draft RD, trade for, or sign one.

Speaking of RD, Florida has a glut of them but they want to add to defense and trade from a strength in their offense depth.
But there may be an off-season deal there if Zito needs to create come cap space.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Not really. Both same draft, only 7 picks apart. Smith has played more NHL games. PPG for first full season is almost identical.

Yeah we’d keep the big RD with 4 times the goals, a higher ppg average and threading upwards, over the undersized Smith having a not soo good sophomore season. The values aren’t close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad