Value of: Ty Smith

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Devils may be looking at moving him out as they have a lot of LHD coming up and he's having a rough year.
What realistically could they get for him or what would they have to add to him for a solid top 6 winger?

They are probably not going to be interested in trading their 1st this year or next, even with protection, so don't bother asking for it.

BillyZito

Feb 13, 2022
Who's more likely to be moved, Smith or Graves?

Surprised he would be on the block already?
Has he disappointed or just not a fit/excess PMD on left side?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m at the point where Devils should be thinking about adding an elite winger even if it takes their 1st round pick. Unless it’s a sure fire stud franchise player that is available with that pick.
Hopefully the D market is hot and some team that misses out on Charot / Chychrun will be willing to pay to get someone like Smith or Severson.
I’d rather move Smith but Severson might be redundant and cost too much $$ as well.
Only thing is our current RHD depth is putrid and our LHD is packed full of prospects. ( reason why Smith should be used to upgrade a point of weakness - scoring winger )

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Smith would / should be moved way before Graves .
Graves and Hamilton pairing was very good (when both healthy) .
I also think maybe Smiths draft pedigree, age , contract status , and WHL success might get the Devils a better return than Graves plus Graves fills a role amd need more so than Smith.
Smith has been struggling with making good reads and decisions with the puck this year. His skating has never been great (edge work is good though) and lacks elite foot speed. His IQ was one of his strengths but that has taken a step back this year so far. I think his early injury hurt him this year as he missed out on training camp. I’m not sure if he has lingering effects from his injury or what’s going on but he has regressed this year.

Reactions: BillyZito

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I’m at the point where Devils should be thinking about adding an elite winger even if it takes their 1st round pick. Unless it’s a sure fire stud franchise player that is available with that pick.
Hopefully the D market is hot and some team that misses out on Charot / Chychrun will be willing to pay to get someone like Smith or Severson.
I’d rather move Smith but Severson might be redundant and cost too much $$ as well.
Only thing is our current RHD depth is putrid and our LHD is packed full of prospects. ( reason why Smith should be used to upgrade a point of weakness - scoring winger )

I agree with what you're saying and I wouldn't mind trading the 1st but not before the TDL, at the draft I could see it

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

If it's a deadline move this year, Graves pretty easily.

Off season move, I could see it being Smith...but given his struggles, unless we are getting dollar for dollar value, I don't see us moving him (though it could make sense to put out feelers if his game comes back a bit next year given the logjam of LHD we have).

Reactions: BillyZito

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Haven't been following much. Whats going on with him this season?

He was hurt before the season, didn't really get into anything in camp and I'm pretty sure that he's just been nicked up and in pain all year. Its a pretty sizeable difference between where he was last year and what he is this year now, so it feels like that is what is going on. Obviously it could have been last year that was the mirage, but that's what the Devils will need to figure out next season.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Smith has been terrible this season, so any team acquiring him can't trust that he'll be a guy outperforming his ELC. That kind of ruins the fantasy of NJ getting a major return for him. He's also Jack Hughes's roommate and good friend. Devils have to try to get his game right next year.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Just out of curiousity would NJ have any interest in something around wing prospects like Kaut, Beaucage, and/or Ranta?

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I think we should hold off on moving Smith until we know which side Luke is gonna play on in the NHL. If Luke plays on the right we’re going to want to keep Smith.

We also don’t know how Muk is gonna look and that really leaves Bahl and Okhotyuk.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I'd keep him and cross my fingers he gains value. NJ has lots of LD depth *in theory* but until the youngsters prove themselves, there are no guarantees there. Might as well see what they have in the player. I think there's a decent chance his value goes up, even if he just rebounds to consistently being an offensive dman who can move the puck. That type of player is pretty valuable....

Certainly understand potentially using him as a trade chip to upgrade up front though

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Hes 21. He's played 89 NHL games and has 36 points. Not every defenseman is going to be Hughes or Makar. I see no reason behind trading a young gifted offensive defenseman.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Seems like team that is out of contention should be patient with recently touted prospect. In the few devils games I’ve seen he has been bad, but if we can see that so can other teams. You’re not likely to get enough for him to be worth bailing on whatever upside remains.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He's been the worst skater on the team this year bar none. With that said he's a 21 year old D who had a good rookie year and a great pedigree. The only way he should really be getting moved at this point is if a deal is too good to pass up and who is offering that with his dog shit year.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I see him ending up in Montreal, doubt there's another team more desperate for a PMD than the Habs and he's got a connection with Gally (assuming he's not dealt as well)

Not much left to offer in the way of a Top 6 forward but will have picks coming out the wazoo in 6 weeks that NJ can flip for a forward

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I would not trade Smith. I think he is going to be really, really good. Good year for him to work out his issues, which I think he will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad