Speculation: Two teams interested in acquiring Evander Kane

Sparkleton

Nov 9, 2021
I’m a Shark’s fan and was always impressed when he played against us, he would generate his own scoring chances and body other players.

Then we got him, was stoked. He put up good numbers and I got to watch his play a lot. Great player, you could slot him on any line and he’d generate some high danger scoring chances without help every game.

As that was going on so did all that drama and it went bad really fast. Wish the guy the best but I have doubts he changes the personality that makes those bad decisions. Edmonton fans would know more than I do now. Maybe he’s a different guy but if so why trade him?

I think anyone with a strong locker room would benefit from him. He’d be great for a playoff run at the trade deadline but the “locker room cancer” trope people throw out there seems real until proven otherwise and trading for him now, ehhh lots of risk.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Don’t see them being in on this, but NYI needs wingers nor have cap space.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I’m a Shark’s fan and was always impressed when he played against us, he would generate his own scoring chances and body other players.

Then we got him, was stoked. He put up good numbers and I got to watch his play a lot. Great player, you could slot him on any line and he’d generate some high danger scoring chances without help every game.

As that was going on so did all that drama and it went bad really fast. Wish the guy the best but I have doubts he changes the personality that makes those bad decisions. Edmonton fans would know more than I do now. Maybe he’s a different guy but if so why trade him?

I think anyone with a strong locker room would benefit from him. He’d be great for a playoff run at the trade deadline but the “locker room cancer” trope people throw out there seems real until proven otherwise and trading for him now, ehhh lots of risk.

There’s also the fact that his analytics f***ing suck, if you buy into that sorta thing. I guess he’s of the “bad angle, if it goes in awesome, if it rings around and out it’s ok” sort. That said, he’s looked great (imo) in Edmonton. He knew it was likely a last chance, and seemingly listened to coaching that said “stop at the hash marks, don’t skate into the corner holding the puck all the time. Think ahead, think about positioning and defense.” Idk, I just saw a more mature player with Oilers vs. when he was with Buffalo, and he does still have the talent to be solid- ignore the playoffs, dude was ballsy just to lace ‘em up.

Obviously I’m conflicted, but it’d be cool to see a bit of a redemption arc. He’s played well in Edmonton, can any analytics folks tell me if that’s changed or is it just eye-test?

Reactions: Leafshater67

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada

I think it's not just the idea of being a locker room cancer. It's also being a trouble-maker, a rule-breaker. He skirted the restrictions during covid, travelled out of the country and crossed even to Canada. He just believes he is better than the rest and the rules don't apply to him. He will do whatever he wants, whenever it pleases him. It's so volatile. Pavs was the one who he listened to, respected. When Pavs left the Sharks, it went downhill that year. I don't think he respects Mcdavid. When they needed him in the Finals, Kane didn't even man up and dress. Everything with him is such a dice roll.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I think it's not just the idea of being a locker room cancer. It's also being a trouble-maker, a rule-breaker. He skirted the restrictions during covid, travelled out of the country and crossed even to Canada. He just believes he is better than the rest and the rules don't apply to him. He will do whatever he wants, whenever it pleases him. It's so volatile. Pavs was the one who he listened to, respected. When Pavs left the Sharks, it went downhill that year. I don't think he respects Mcdavid. When they needed him in the Finals, Kane didn't even man up and dress. Everything with him is such a dice roll.
Oh no! Anyway

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Who knew that Kane is going into his sixteenth full season? :amazed:
Given his playstyle and that he played 1st line minutes for nearly all of those fifteen seasons, it won't be a surprise if he's running out of gas and will decline hard before his contract expires. There were signs of it last year. He has to play aggressively on offense to be effective, but rarely seems to have the energy to make it work anymore, resulting in a lot of fails in getting solid puck control deep.
That is to say that they'll probably have to take a mediocre contract back if they're trading him, that or retain or include a decent pick.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
("hmmm, which teams have available cap space & we can make up a story about them wanting him...?" - oilersdaily.com)

I see zero interest from the Ducks. In addition to him being LW, something that they're stacked with at the moment, there's the potential drama that seems to follow EK around (& to be fair & good for him, that has 'not' seemed to be the case in Edmonton the past couple of years). I can't see PV being very interested in having him in a locker room of very young players.

The only upside I see is that the contract is only two more years. He 'could' be used as a stopgap to allow the youngsters to mature into who they're going to be...if he played a position that they needed.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
("hmmm, which teams have available cap space & we can make up a story about them wanting him...?" - oilersdaily.com)

I see zero interest from the Ducks. In addition to him being LW, something that they're stacked with at the moment, there's the potential drama that seems to follow EK around (& to be fair & good for him, that has 'not' seemed to be the case in Edmonton the past couple of years). I can't see PV being very interested in having him in a locker room of very young players.

The only upside I see is that the contract is only two more years. He 'could' be used as a stopgap to allow the youngsters to mature into who they're going to be...if he played a position that they needed.

I agree. Maybe if he was a right shot top six RW, we would perhaps overlook the character stuff and take the upgrade, but the Ducks are so stuffed with left shot forwards. Just have Terry, Strome and Leason for right shots, maybe Colangelo.

Zegras, Carlsson, McTavish, Killorn, Gauthier, Vatrano, Lundestrom, Fabbri, Johnston, Harkins, Regenda, Nesterenko - all lefties.

Reactions: Rec T

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad