OT: TV & Movie thread: Part III

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'm a fan of the reboot, but it's a show w/o a sense of humor which makes for a grim, gritty, unfun viewing experience.

Well, it’s pretty dark times when you’re the last vestiges of the human race being chased for years by a superior enemy with superior tech that outnumbers you a thousand to one.

But, yeah, I guess they should be joking around in the mess hall lol.

The stark reality is part of it’s appeal and what sets it apart from a lot of sci fi.

Stargate Universe is somewhat similar in this regard.

Ben Grimm

🎸
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Well, it’s pretty dark times when you’re the last vestiges of the human race being chased for years by a superior enemy with superior tech that outnumbers you a thousand to one. ... The stark reality is part of its appeal and what sets it apart from a lot of sci fi. Stargate Universe is somewhat similar in this regard.
Human beings are individuals. When your life is in danger it's just as dark to you as BG. Reality? Nothing is more unrealistic than a show where people never laugh or joke around. When you're in very stressful situations that's when you need a sense of humor the most and when it's the most important for not only your physical survival but your mental health as well. Humor also helps your mind not freeze up or panic so you can survive. I've had a pistol held to my head and I was laughing 5 minutes later. If you had been in these combat/life or death situations, you would know all this. SGU is not similar in tone to BG at all. I agree to disagree.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Human beings are individuals. When your life is in danger it's just as dark to you as BG. Reality? Nothing is more unrealistic than a show where people never laugh or joke around. When you're in very stressful situations that's when you need a sense of humor the most and when it's the most important for not only your physical survival but your mental health as well. Humor also helps your mind not freeze up or panic so you can survive. I've had a pistol held to my head and I was laughing 5 minutes later. If you had been in these combat/life or death situations, you would know all this. SGU is not similar in tone to BG at all. I agree to disagree.

There was humor in the remake. Check interactions between Starbuck, Adama, Gaius and his followers/harem, etc… Saying it was utterly devoid of humor is patently false. Was it campy like the first? Hell no. How do you know what life experiences I’ve had? A: You don’t. Futhermore, it’s patently absurd to engage in “realistic” arguments when discussing fictional characters that have been fleeing permanent extinction for years. Neither you nor I know the impacts of the near end of humanity and running for years from a superior enemy.

The point of the show was dark/noir/realism. If that’s not your thing, that’s fine. It’s not bad because of that. Agree to disagree as well.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
As I may have mentioned, I am rewatching the first season/series of The Devil's Hour (mainly because I don't remember much of what happened). I must say that after the first 30 minutes of the first episode, it becomes oddly captivating. The kid in that show belongs in Village/Children of the Damned!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad