Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
considering he literally went 2+ months without a regulation loss, yeah. 12/29 to 3/9

16-0-3
.929 sv%
2.00 gaa

outside of early in the year, Halak got all the cushy and easy starts and for a while was a liability.

Certainly Rask had to be a liability for even longer than Halak.

11-13-2 outside of that stretch. Finished with .912 sv% and 2.48 gaa, which means his numbers were brutal for those 25 games.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Before Rask came back from his leave of absence in mid-November, which was a quarter way through the season, these are what the numbers were:

Halak: 12 GP - 6-2-2, .932 save %
Rask: 8 GP: 4-4-0, .901 save %

Try two words for your response next time.
Ok.

How about three words with agenda driven drivel.

AWOL is the the most naive, ignorant thing stated by you now with him having to take care of personal issues and then came back lights out.

What you are doing is obvious but we are not allowed to say it

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Ok.

How about three words with agenda driven drivel.

AWOL is the the most naive, ignorant thing stated by you now with him having to take care of personal issues and then came back lights out.

What you are doing is obvious but we are not allowed to say it
His reason for his actual leave of absence is his issue, I'm not making light of it. I'm saying there was something that was definitely off with his game to start the season and Halak was a major reason why the Bruins stayed afloat during that period.

Reactions: Estlin

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm not one to undermine what Tim Thomas accomplished - 2 Vezinas in 3 years, a Conn Smythe, 4 All Star Games, and most importantly a Stanley Cup.

Sure he had a solid defense in front of him, but it's sometimes forgotten how often Thomas bailed them out in the Cup run (see video below).

I just posted in the Game 7 Still Stings thread that I felt the 2019 Bruins lacked mental toughness more than physical toughness. Thomas provided that element and it seemingly carried over to the entire team.

I feel Rask and the B's gave up in Game 7 after Marchand's epic blunder.

It's often said Thomas wasn't as strong positionally as other goalies, but his 'Battlefly' style made up for it. Watching this clip, I'm not so sure. Yes, he was very aggressive, but he was positionally sound on most of these.

He still made saves he probably had no business making.

The OT save against the Habs and the stick save on Downie still give me chills. Might need to change my avatar. ;)

Reactions: Spooner st

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Before Rask came back from his leave of absence in mid-November, which was a quarter way through the season, these are what the numbers were:

Halak: 12 GP - 6-2-2, .932 save %
Rask: 8 GP: 4-4-0, .901 save %

Try two words for your response next time.

What were each of their stats the other 3/4 of the season and what was the average record of the opponents they faced?

I’ll give you a hint, Rasks numbers were better against much tougher opponents. With that said Halak came up huge for us in November.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Imagine writing these posts while trying to argue you have no bias against Rask.

Some of the names you mention ahead of Rask “haven’t had a chance” to showcase because THEY CAN’T EVEN GET OUT OF THE FIRST OR SECOND ROUND. You’re actually giving them credit for that. Instead of recognizing the amount of times you have to not choke under pressure to even get to the finals. Twice. We’re not talking about inexperienced goalies here, they are 1-2 years younger than Rask.

And of course when we’re talking about another goalie the team in front of them matters so they should be judged differently but when people want to talk about how the team dropped the ball in his collapses it’s irrelevant because he’s just got to get it done, period. It’s fine if that’s your opinion but apply it to everyone.

There’s nothing wrong with disliking Rask, I’ve certainly had my issues with his play the last few seasons but to not recognize your own bias and believe you are always fair about the guy is ridiculous. You’ve clearly got a different set of rules for him than other goalies.

I wouldn’t worry about arguing the point anymore, you’ve already been proven to be on the right side of history by actual events that have happened. It’s just sad at this point that people still try to discredit him, that’s honestly what it is. Sad and pathetic.

If his name was Tom Rask and he was from Colorado I don’t think he’d get the same shit either

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm not one to undermine what Tim Thomas accomplished - 2 Vezinas in 3 years, a Conn Smythe, 4 All Star Games, and most importantly a Stanley Cup.

Sure he had a solid defense in front of him, but it's sometimes forgotten how often Thomas bailed them out in the Cup run (see video below).

I just posted in the Game 7 Still Stings thread that I felt the 2019 Bruins lacked mental toughness more than physical toughness. Thomas provided that element and it seemingly carried over to the entire team.

It's often said Thomas wasn't as strong positionally as other goalies, but his 'Battlefly' style made up for it. Watching this clip, I'm not so sure. Yes, he was very aggressive, but he was positionally sound on most of these.

The OT save against the Habs and the stick save on Downie still give me chills. Might need to change my avatar. ;)

Sorry, but one highlight reel from when Thomas was at the top of his game doesn't make him a positionally sounds goalie. Also Thomas got quite a nice bit of goal support in those SCF games they won. In fact, he was given 5.25 GF/GP in games that Boston won. Really crazy is they entered the 3rd period in all 4 of those wins with a pretty comfortable lead on the board.

Game 3: 4-0 after the 2nd
Game 4: 3-0 after the 2nd
Game 6: 4-0 after the 1st
Game 7: 3-0 after the 2nd

Again I'm thankful for Thomas helping bring a cup to Boston. BUT he gets more praise than anyone on that team and I don't agree. Hell Rask's playoff numbers this year were right there with Thomas, but Rask is considered a choker and not nearly as good as Thomas....all because Thomas won a Stanley Cup as a stater. Thomas pre/post Bruins are two different players. I'm sure age had a little to do with it, but his numbers tanked when he played for bad teams.

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Tim Thomas to me was the best Bruins goalie I ever saw.
No matter how some people will try to undermine his achievements.

I still remember " Tim Thomas would never bring the Bruins to the promised land."

:laugh:

Reactions: Aeroforce

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Some more context:

Tuukka Rask at 32 years old has already been to two Cup Finals and been extremely close to winning two Conn Smythe's.

Tim Thomas was 36 before he even won his second career playoff series.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The thing that has always bothered me about Rask is his uneven overall performances in series the Bruins have lost.

Philly- .898
Hawks- .932 (how he was blamed is still beyond me)
Habs- .903
Sens- .920 (thought he was magnificent)
TB- .907
STL- .912 (last game didn't help)

Thomas had three series he lost

Carolina (.929)
Washington (.923) game 5 goal to Brouwer was pathetic
Habs (.914) team was pretty crappy overall, last game inflated it, great performance.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The thing that has always bothered me about Rask is his uneven overall performances in series the Bruins have lost.

Philly- .898
Habs- .903
TB- .907

Carolina (.929)
Habs (.914) team was pretty crappy overall, last game inflated it, great performance.

To be fair, when you are pulling numbers for just one series at a time, it's a really small sample size (anywhere from only 4 games to 7 games). Giving up just one or two garbage time goals can alter one's save percentage significantly.

Reactions: LouJersey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Philly- .898
Habs- .903
TB- .907

Carolina (.929)

So we'd agree that he was good against CHI, OTT and STL. That leaves the following....

PHI - 22yr old rookie + team fell apart after Krejci injury
MTL - Boston managed 1.5 GF/GP over the last 4 games. Rask would have need to be nearly perfect
TBL - The team was just bad in general after game 1. Still one that blows my mind with how fast they fell apart.

Rask has played in 16 playoff series and if these^ are his 3 worst, I'm ok with that lol.

Reactions: LouJersey

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Again I'm thankful for Thomas helping bring a cup to Boston. BUT he gets more praise than anyone on that team and I don't agree. Hell Rask's playoff numbers this year were right there with Thomas, but Rask is considered a choker and not nearly as good as Thomas....all because Thomas won a Stanley Cup as a stater. Thomas pre/post Bruins are two different players. I'm sure age had a little to do with it, but his numbers tanked when he played for bad teams.
Thomas gets more praise because he raised his game substantially in the final. 0.967 in the Stanley cup final. Rask was more consistent overall in 2012-13, and perhaps better overall. However, a 0.967 in the final, that's all-time great, that's Roy, Plante, Dryden kind of stuff there. Even in losing games, he had a 0.946 against the Canucks.

I am totally fine with Thomas getting extra praise because he played the best hockey of.his.life in the most important games of.is.life. Thomas played the best hockey of any Bruins goaltender all-time in the final, Rask cannot say the same thing. Rask played well enough to win, he deserved to win, but he didn't.

Finals make legacies.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Thomas gets more praise because he raised his game substantially in the final. 0.967 in the Stanley cup final. Rask was more consistent overall in 2012-13, and perhaps better overall. However, a 0.967 in the final, that's all-time great, that's Roy, Plante, Dryden kind of stuff there. Even in losing games, he had a 0.946 against the Canucks.

I am totally fine with Thomas getting extra praise because he played the best hockey of.his.life in the most important games of.is.life. Thomas played the best hockey of any Bruins goaltender all-time in the final, Rask cannot say the same thing. Rask played well enough to win, he deserved to win, but he didn't.

Finals make legacies.

Funny thing is that Bruins still win the Cup in 2011 even if Thomas sucks in the finals. They lost all the close games where Thomas was awesome. In the games they won they bulldozed the Canucks. Might've been the most lopsided 7 game series ever. I think it just shows how accustomed people are to results based analysis.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Funny thing is that Bruins still win the Cup in 2011 even if Thomas sucks in the finals. They lost all the close games where Thomas was awesome. In the games they won they bulldozed the Canucks. Might've been the most lopsided 7 game series ever. I think it just shows how accustomed people are to results based analysis.
In a vacuum they win. But in reality, do they win if Thomas sucks in the finals?

Momentum can change. Horton gets hurt, Thomas lets in a bad goal right after, and it could be a four game sweep for Vancouver.

Thomas was in their heads and it was a big reason they won.

Reactions: Spooner st

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
New found respect for Rask after last years run. Without him playing like he did we go maybe one-two rounds.

I felt bad for Him , Z , Coach and us fans.

Rask no doubt will go down as one of the greatest Bruins goalies I hope he gets a cup, he's done his job.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
New found respect for Rask after last years run. Without him playing like he did we go maybe one-two rounds.

I felt bad for Him , Z , Coach and us fans.

Rask no doubt will go down as one of the greatest Bruins goalies I hope he gets a cup, he's done his job.

He has a ring already.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
For reference:

Game 3 Bruins win 8-1. SOG 41-38 Vancouver.

Game 4 Bruins win 4-0. SOG 38-29 Vancouver.

Game 6 Bruins win 5-2. SOG 40-38 Boston.

And most importantly, and relevant to this thread:

Game 7 Bruins win 4-0. SOG 37-21 Vancouver.

The three games the Bruins lost were all by one goal, two were 1-0, and the other was OT.

Thomas' Conn Smythe was well-deserved and his eye-popping save percentage affected the entire series. As mentioned above, he was in the Canucks' heads.

I completely disagree the Bruins still win if Thomas sucked in the Final.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Honest question, do you think this actually means something?

I was just responding to the other poster who said that Rask did not have a Stanley Cup ring when, in fact, he does. To answer your question, though, it probably doesn't mean a whole lot to Rask, because he never played in the 2011 playoffs.

It was such a shame, for many reasons, that Boston lost this year. One of those reasons was that, had the Bruins prevailed, Rask would have won the Conn Smythe and silenced so many people who have long doubted his ability to lead a team to the ultimate victory.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I was just responding to the other poster who said that Rask did not have a Stanley Cup ring when, in fact, he does. To answer your question, though, it probably doesn't mean a whole lot to Rask, because he never played in the 2011 playoffs.

It was such a shame, for many reasons, that Boston lost this year. One of those reasons was that, had the Bruins prevailed, Rask would have won the Conn Smythe and silenced so many people who have long doubted his ability to lead a team to the ultimate victory.
But at the end of the day he didn't and had his worst game in a long time in Game 7. The only shame is that he played a big part in why they lost, nobody owes him anything with a performance like that.

I think a few here have a perception that I wanted this to happen because it's fun to shit on him or something, but I really did want him to reverse the narrative.

2019 Stanley Cup Final - Win It for............

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
For reference:

Game 3 Bruins win 8-1. SOG 41-38 Vancouver.

Game 4 Bruins win 4-0. SOG 38-29 Vancouver.

Game 6 Bruins win 5-2. SOG 40-38 Boston.

And most importantly, and relevant to this thread:

Game 7 Bruins win 4-0. SOG 37-21 Vancouver.

The three games the Bruins lost were all by one goal, two were 1-0, and the other was OT.

Thomas' Conn Smythe was well-deserved and his eye-popping save percentage affected the entire series. As mentioned above, he was in the Canucks' heads.

I completely disagree the Bruins still win if Thomas sucked in the Final.

To be fair, he had more than a few sucky games in round 1 and 3 that year and they still won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad