Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
This is just silly.

I am convinced if the Bruins did win game 7 you would of blamed Rask because they didn't win in 5 games.

The post Rask goalie carousel is going to be pure comedy gold. In the ten years following his eventual departure will the plus or minus be set at 4 or 5 different #1 goalies for the Bruins?

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I think goalies are tough to rank in general because it fluctuates so much. I think it's more about finding goalies that are consistent, whether it's year-to-year performance or the ability to step up in big moments. The guys I would put ahead of Rask that come to mind if I was taking a goalie for next year + playoffs are (in no particular order):

Gibson, Vas, Price, Rinne, Holtby, Murray, Crawford (if healthy), Bishop, Binnington, Andersen, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

My God.....

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
All I'm asking for is one time where he doesn't collapse horrifically.

off recent memory when he gave up 3 goals in two elimination games vs the Laffs this past spring?

His five total goals allowed in four games vs the Canes?

Game 5 vs St. Louis when he gave up 2 goals and lost.

Elimination game 6 on the road vs Stl when he gave up 1 goal?

6 goals in a five game series win vs the Wings?

2 goals in a four game series sweep vs the high powered Pens?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think goalies are tough to rank in general because it fluctuates so much. I think it's more about finding goalies that are consistent, whether it's year-to-year performance or the ability to step up in big moments. The guys I would put ahead of Rask that come to mind if I was taking a goalie for next year + playoffs are (in no particular order):

Gibson, Vas, Price, Rinne, Holtby, Murray, Crawford (if healthy), Bishop, Binnington, Andersen, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky
All I'm asking for is one time where he doesn't collapse horrifically.
So you are essentially looking for him to either win the cup or perform better in the playoffs, yes?

You then go on to list the following goalies above him:

Gibson - 11-13 in the playoffs including a sweep in his most recent year
Price - who has never played more than 12 playoff games in a year
Bobrovsky - ONE. CAREER. SERIES. WIN.
Andersen - has lost 4 straight playoff series. in round 1.....

On your list you have only Holtby, Murray, Binnington, Rinne (maybe Crawford? I can't remember) who have ever even made it to the Stanley cup playoffs as starters. Rask has done it twice. Come on man.

I don't even disagree with a lot of people you named, but if you are knocking Rask for his playoff performance, you can't put THAT many people above him who can't even sniff the cup finals.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

You say Tuukka collapses every year, yet have Andersen Hellebuyck and Bob as examples of better goalies? Didn't Vas shit the bed in the first round against an 8th seed last year?

You use Halak temporarily taking over the starter position as fuel against Rask, yet most fans wanted Saros ahead of Rinne IN THE PLAYOFFS when Rinne had that awful stretch. Hellebuyck was outplayed by Brossoit at points last year too. Same with Bob.

Absolutely horrific take here from someone who usually hits it on the nose

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
So you are essentially looking for him to either win the cup or perform better in the playoffs, yes?

You then go on to list the following goalies above him:

Gibson - 11-13 in the playoffs including a sweep in his most recent year
Price - who has never played more than 12 playoff games in a year
Bobrovsky - ONE. CAREER. SERIES. WIN.
Andersen - has lost 4 straight playoff series. in round 1.....

On your list you have only Holtby, Murray, Binnington, Rinne (maybe Crawford? I can't remember) who have ever even made it to the Stanley cup playoffs as starters. Rask has done it twice. Come on man.

I don't even disagree with a lot of people you named, but if you are knocking Rask for his playoff performance, you can't put THAT many people above him who can't even sniff the cup finals.
I think goalies like Andersen and Bobrovsky have similar issues to Rask in the sense that they choke when it matters but the difference is that Rask has done this on a much more consistent basis whereas the other guys haven't gotten the chance to really showcase themselves enough to the point that. Like, they're definitely still collapsing when it matters, but the sample size is smaller.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I think goalies like Andersen and Bobrovsky have similar issues to Rask in the sense that they choke when it matters but the difference is that Rask has done this on a much more consistent basis whereas the other guys haven't gotten the chance to really showcase themselves enough to the point that. Like, they're definitely still collapsing when it matters, but the sample size is smaller.

Your justification for saying guys like Bob and Andersen don't choke is because they can't make it past the first round

Just incredible

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Your justification for saying guys like Bob and Andersen don't choke is because they can't make it past the first round

Just incredible
You also have to consider the quality of their teams. Bruins won the Cup without Rask and have (for the most part) been a model of consistency year-in-year-out since Rask has been in the league. Bobrovsky has played for horrible teams his entire career.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
off recent memory when he gave up 3 goals in two elimination games vs the Laffs this past spring?

His five total goals allowed in four games vs the Canes?

Game 5 vs St. Louis when he gave up 2 goals and lost.

Elimination game 6 on the road vs Stl when he gave up 1 goal?

6 goals in a five game series win vs the Wings?

2 goals in a four game series sweep vs the high powered Pens?
I had a breakdown of it somewhere but can't find it, I'll post it if I can. Basically though, every single year Rask has been in the playoffs he's bowed out in horrific fashion. That's not to say that simply losing a series/game means a goalie blew it (Lundqvist is a perfect example of this), but when you make it a habit, it becomes a chronic problem.

Edit: 2010 - Bruins up 3-0 on Flyers in both the series and Game 7 of Round 2, loses 4-3 (on 27 shots)
2013 - Gives up 2 goals in the final minute to lose to the Hawks in Game 6
2014 - Gives up 4 goals on 28 shots in Game 6 and 3 goals on 18 shots in Game 7 against Montreal in Round 2
2017 - Gives up 3 goals on 29 shots against in Game 6 vs. Ottawa in first round, gets caught way out of position on OT winner
2018 - .896 in 4 straight losses vs. Tampa in 2nd Round
2019 - 4 goals on 20 shots, let in 2 of 4 shots in the 1st

Reactions: BBruins

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Rask was stellar these playoffs and was on his way to winning the Conn Smythe. He was, however, not so stellar (although not horrible, either) in game 7 against St. Louis. If I'm not mistaken, Rask's record in game 7s in the playoffs is poor (e.g., sub-.900 GAA).

Reactions: Aeroforce

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I dont think many remember the pre Rask/ Thomas dumpster fire we had for years.
I think the frustrating thing and the thing that makes Rask look worse is that Thomas WAS that guy you could actually rely on in the most critical moments. It just makes it look worse by comparison.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
if Tuukka doesn't have the entire fanbase behind him after carrying them these play-offs he never will. He deserved better this year from some of you and especially his team. Without him they don't sniff the Cup finals.

Who's not behind him?

There are only a couple of posters who seem to really dislike Rask as a goalie.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I think the frustrating thing and the thing that makes Rask look worse is that Thomas WAS that guy you could actually rely on in the most critical moments. It just makes it look worse by comparison.

Outside of some of the 2011 cup run, he most certainly was not.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
You also have to consider the quality of their teams. Bruins won the Cup without Rask and have (for the most part) been a model of consistency year-in-year-out since Rask has been in the league. Bobrovsky has played for horrible teams his entire career.

Not really. Injuries have decimated the Bs in most recent seasons to the point where guys like Tommy freaking cross have seen the ice in the playoffs. None of the rosters post-2011 have equaled that roster top to bottom imo.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Andersen???

Crawford??

HELLEBUYCK??

You’re out of your damn mind.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
1 year out of 4 in playoffs - yes.
The other three not so much.
His very first year in the playoffs vs. Montreal was his only iffy series, or at least the only iffy series where he didn't end up stepping up when it mattered most (he had dips vs. Montreal and Tampa, but came through in the clutch when it mattered). Every other time he was in the playoffs he played well to excellent and has a fantastic track record for stepping up when it mattered.

.936 save % in elimination games, and .948 in elimination games after that first Montreal series.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
His very first year in the playoffs vs. Montreal was his only iffy series, or at least the only iffy series where he didn't end up stepping up when it mattered most (he had dips vs. Montreal and Tampa, but came through in the clutch when it mattered). Every other time he was in the playoffs he played well to excellent and has a fantastic track record for stepping up when it mattered.

.936 save % in elimination games, and .948 in elimination games after that first Montreal series.

He still lost and they were out. So coming up big is a matter of perspective.

Dont get me wrong. I love Thomas.
More often than not he gave the team a chance to win.

Thats my measuring stick.

The same I measure Rask by and come to the same conclusion. He did also.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He still lost and they were out. So coming up big is a matter of perspective.

Dont get me wrong. I love Thomas.
More often than not he gave the team a chance to win.

Thats my measuring stick.

The same I measure Rask by and come to the same conclusion. He did also.
You can only control what you can as a goalie. Winning or losing is not what you should use as the barometer, it's how much they contributed to a win or a loss. If a goalie lets in 1 goal on 70 shots and loses you're not going to blame him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Rask is a heck of a goalie - he can play for me any day

Bennington is a JAG

He’s not in the same zip code as Rask but then again hockey is my third sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad