Signing(s): Tua Tagovailoa signs a 4 year 212.4M extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean, they had to pay him but him being healthy is the key here.
If the $167 mill guaranteed part is true, that's 3 full years of guaranteed money basically. I don't foresee him playing 12 years. Probably 8-10. Same with Penix once he starts, 8-10 years. Similar to Cam, as that's how long he lasted as a productive QB til the injuries took their toll on him.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Similar to Lawrence, I don't love it but I get it. Being a QB (especially if you're a starter and some kind of decent at worse) is a lucrative business in this world.

Hopefully he stays healthy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd definitely take Love over Tua, not sure about Purdy yet, but he could be successful in Miami. But thats a lot of money for Tua.
The thing is now, teams can't really play hardball with their QB, like Balt and Lamar went through. If the QB sits out or stays away from camp, your team falls behind and really has virtually no chance to win. Thus, drafting a QB every 2-3 years is probably the best chance you have to gain some sort of leverage.

GB only has young unproven guys at QB. Eason, Clifford, Pratt. They gave Love all of the leverage with that QB room.

Miami has Mike White and Skyler Thompson on the roster.

Jax has Mac Jones and Beathard. Easily the best of the trio who just got paid.

Dallas has Rush and Lance. Lance will be a free agent at the end of this season as his 5th year option for $20 mill was not picked up, but he wouldn't command that kind of money as a free agent anyways. Dak isn't going to hold out because he will become a free agent after the season as Dallas can't tag him.

SF has Dobbs, Brandon Allen, and Mordecai. Can get through the season, but no one with the potential to challenge Purdy.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
The thing is now, teams can't really play hardball with their QB, like Balt and Lamar went through. If the QB sits out or stays away from camp, your team falls behind and really has virtually no chance to win. Thus, drafting a QB every 2-3 years is probably the best chance you have to gain some sort of leverage.

GB only has young unproven guys at QB. Eason, Clifford, Pratt. They gave Love all of the leverage with that QB room.

Miami has Mike White and Skyler Thompson on the roster.

Jax has Mac Jones and Beathard. Easily the best of the trio who just got paid.

Dallas has Rush and Lance. Lance will be a free agent at the end of this season as his 5th year option for $20 mill was not picked up, but he wouldn't command that kind of money as a free agent anyways. Dak isn't going to hold out because he will become a free agent after the season as Dallas can't tag him.

SF has Dobbs, Brandon Allen, and Mordecai. Can get through the season, but no one with the potential to challenge Purdy.
Not much room for back up money now.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Feel bad for the guy with his injuries and what he is going through… good thing he got that guaranteed money though wow

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Feel bad for the guy with his injuries and what he is going through… good thing he got that guaranteed money though wow
I'm not a big Mike Florio fan when it comes to his "analysis" of football. But, his expertise is in contracts and law (being a former lawyer).
Tua's contract is guaranteed for Injury for $167 mill. So, he'd have to land on the NFL version of Permanment LTIR to get the full amount. If he were to clear concussion protocol in October, and he ultimately makes the decision to walk away, ala Kuchley for the Panthers, he doesn't get that money.

For his rookie deal plus 5th year option, that is worth about $53 million. The new deal he signed had $42 mill of signing bonus, so he'd get to keep 1/5 of that since it was paid this year, so he'd be in at least $61 million if he had to return 4/5 of it.

I think he ultimately gets cleared to play in October.

But, the way his body has skeletoned the past couple of concussions, plus how wobbly he was from the Buffalo one, I think he's really susceptible to getting another one even on light contact, which this Hamlin one was and Hamlin didn't initiate contact. If he gets thrown to the ground by a 280 DL or hit by a 240 LB or a safety that hits like Lynch, Lott, Chanceller, Atwater, kind of cringe at the thought of that.

Denzel Ward of Cleveland has had 5 concussions. And played vs Dallas in week 1. But, I don't think he's ever ended up like Tua after getting one. But, he's nearing the end, but he's been well paid being a top 4 pick and getting a 2nd contract which he's played about 3 years of.

Reactions: sigma six

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm not a big Mike Florio fan when it comes to his "analysis" of football. But, his expertise is in contracts and law (being a former lawyer).
Tua's contract is guaranteed for Injury for $167 mill. So, he'd have to land on the NFL version of Permanment LTIR to get the full amount. If he were to clear concussion protocol in October, and he ultimately makes the decision to walk away, ala Kuchley for the Panthers, he doesn't get that money.

For his rookie deal plus 5th year option, that is worth about $53 million. The new deal he signed had $42 mill of signing bonus, so he'd get to keep 1/5 of that since it was paid this year, so he'd be in at least $61 million if he had to return 4/5 of it.

I think he ultimately gets cleared to play in October.

But, the way his body has skeletoned the past couple of concussions, plus how wobbly he was from the Buffalo one, I think he's really susceptible to getting another one even on light contact, which this Hamlin one was and Hamlin didn't initiate contact. If he gets thrown to the ground by a 280 DL or hit by a 240 LB or a safety that hits like Lynch, Lott, Chanceller, Atwater, kind of cringe at the thought of that.

Denzel Ward of Cleveland has had 5 concussions. And played vs Dallas in week 1. But, I don't think he's ever ended up like Tua after getting one. But, he's nearing the end, but he's been well paid being a top 4 pick and getting a 2nd contract which he's played about 3 years of.
The sheer amount of money at stake for his family is a reason I wouldn't be too surprised if he played until they Steve Young him.

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019

Does someone have to die on the field before they stop this? The independent neurologists assessing these players and giving the green light for them to return should be considering things like concussion history and severity. Even if Tua gets to a point that, in a vacuum, he's OK, when you consider the context it's insane to allow him back on the field.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The sheer amount of money at stake for his family is a reason I wouldn't be too surprised if he played until they Steve Young him.
That would ultimately be his decision. But, $167 mill to end up with days where you get random headaches, dizziness, light sensitivity, etc. type symptoms, is that going to be worth it? From what we have seen from Tua, his head can't withstand the contact of the game.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Does someone have to die on the field before they stop this? The independent neurologists assessing these players and giving the green light for them to return should be considering things like concussion history and severity. Even if Tua gets to a point that, in a vacuum, he's OK, when you consider the context it's insane to allow him back on the field.
They doctors can recommend that he not play again, but if he clears all of the neurological tests, then really can't stop him from playing. From the way his body shut down after his head injuries in Cincy and at home vs Buffalo, his head can't withstand the rigours of the NFL game.

Hopefully, his family can convince him to retire. $53 mill from his rookie contract and 5th year option is still a lot of money. Hopefully he does look at his career earnings as glass half full as so many college QBs never make that and even other first round pick QBs, probably never will either.

Plus whatever amount he is able to keep from the contract he just signed. Maybe Miami negotiates it to give him his prorated amount for 2024 and 2025 (or more) to try to convince him to walk away for his own good.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingsholygrail

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad