Signing(s): Tua Tagovailoa signs a 4 year 212.4M extension

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean, they had to pay him but him being healthy is the key here.
If the $167 mill guaranteed part is true, that's 3 full years of guaranteed money basically. I don't foresee him playing 12 years. Probably 8-10. Same with Penix once he starts, 8-10 years. Similar to Cam, as that's how long he lasted as a productive QB til the injuries took their toll on him.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Similar to Lawrence, I don't love it but I get it. Being a QB (especially if you're a starter and some kind of decent at worse) is a lucrative business in this world.

Hopefully he stays healthy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd definitely take Love over Tua, not sure about Purdy yet, but he could be successful in Miami. But thats a lot of money for Tua.
The thing is now, teams can't really play hardball with their QB, like Balt and Lamar went through. If the QB sits out or stays away from camp, your team falls behind and really has virtually no chance to win. Thus, drafting a QB every 2-3 years is probably the best chance you have to gain some sort of leverage.

GB only has young unproven guys at QB. Eason, Clifford, Pratt. They gave Love all of the leverage with that QB room.

Miami has Mike White and Skyler Thompson on the roster.

Jax has Mac Jones and Beathard. Easily the best of the trio who just got paid.

Dallas has Rush and Lance. Lance will be a free agent at the end of this season as his 5th year option for $20 mill was not picked up, but he wouldn't command that kind of money as a free agent anyways. Dak isn't going to hold out because he will become a free agent after the season as Dallas can't tag him.

SF has Dobbs, Brandon Allen, and Mordecai. Can get through the season, but no one with the potential to challenge Purdy.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
The thing is now, teams can't really play hardball with their QB, like Balt and Lamar went through. If the QB sits out or stays away from camp, your team falls behind and really has virtually no chance to win. Thus, drafting a QB every 2-3 years is probably the best chance you have to gain some sort of leverage.

GB only has young unproven guys at QB. Eason, Clifford, Pratt. They gave Love all of the leverage with that QB room.

Miami has Mike White and Skyler Thompson on the roster.

Jax has Mac Jones and Beathard. Easily the best of the trio who just got paid.

Dallas has Rush and Lance. Lance will be a free agent at the end of this season as his 5th year option for $20 mill was not picked up, but he wouldn't command that kind of money as a free agent anyways. Dak isn't going to hold out because he will become a free agent after the season as Dallas can't tag him.

SF has Dobbs, Brandon Allen, and Mordecai. Can get through the season, but no one with the potential to challenge Purdy.
Not much room for back up money now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad