TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Oh, oh, me, me! Pick me, pick me! Thing is, he is capable of intelligent commentary, he just chooses to be an immature dickhead - his attempts at humor always fall through, the the banter with his sidekick rarely amounts to anything noteworthy - the opposite in fact.
At this point TSN690 is simply a tax write off for Bell media,nothing can be that bad and expect to survive with 10 mins of content in a one hour segment.

Reactions: dinodebino

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
At this point TSN690 is simply a tax write off for Bell media,nothing can be that bad and expect to survive with 10 mins of content in a one hour segment.
One would think. Such a shame for MTL's only English "sports" talk show.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Usually they talk alot about Just for laughs festival during the summer and have comedian guests on. With the festival being cancelled this year it's been tough for 690
Yeah the summer is tough because he can't find it any good names to interview but mind you in the winter they struggle as well

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
They are reduced to playing 'Best of...' on TSN690 instead of the mid-day show. I've been listening to the station for a long time and don't remember that ever happening before. Summer is always a bit of musical chairs due to vacations, but they always seemed to scrounge up enough people to run original content.

I can remember when the station was original content from 6 am to 1 am (Game Night Montreal with the now-Sportsnet anchor Eric Thomas, and Late Night with Simon Tsalikis rounding out the existing shows). Certainly a statement on how local radio is going. The Ottawa TSN station stopped local programming mid-day a while ago and now does syndicated US stuff.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They are reduced to playing 'Best of...' on TSN690 instead of the mid-day show. I've been listening to the station for a long time and don't remember that ever happening before. Summer is always a bit of musical chairs due to vacations, but they always seemed to scrounge up enough people to run original content.

I can remember when the station was original content from 6 am to 1 am (Game Night Montreal with the now-Sportsnet anchor Eric Thomas, and Late Night with Simon Tsalikis rounding out the existing shows). Certainly a statement on how local radio is going. The Ottawa TSN station stopped local programming mid-day a while ago and now does syndicated US stuff.
Radio stations simply don't make enough money anymore.

Reactions: Inkling

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

pathetic. :(
is this permanent? or only a summer thing?

Reactions: Runner77

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Out here in Vancouver, it's been really sad since tsn 1040 shut down. I felt they catered to the regional market more and the talent was simply better.

Now we are left with sportsnet 650. The morning show is still good (they were able to bring over the morning team from 1040), but the summer is bacially filled with local single A baseball and blue jays baseball. After the morning show, they play some daily blue Jay program out of Toronto.

It sucks. You can tell where the decisions are being made because it feels more like a satellite Toronto station.

It's a far cry from the tsn 1040 days. At least they felt more local.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
pathetic. :(
is this permanent? or only a summer thing?
Most likely temporary. Might even just be for a week or two. So many are off on vacation and I guess they don't have the spare talent to cover replacement shows like they used to. Both guys normally doing the mid-day show (Campbell and Gallo) also do double duty on live sports whose right they hold (Habs - especially - and Als) so they are likely safe while they still broadcast their games. The sports radio stations in Canada that didn't hold the rights to sports broadcasts have mostly been shut down, while the remaining ones are the ones that still own the rights. Toronto might be an outlier because it's so large, but in other cities it seems to be the one thing that keeps the lights on.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Most likely temporary. Might even just be for a week or two. So many are off on vacation and I guess they don't have the spare talent to cover replacement shows like they used to. Both guys normally doing the mid-day show (Campbell and Gallo) also do double duty on live sports whose right they hold (Habs - especially - and Als) so they are likely safe while they still broadcast their games. The sports radio stations in Canada that didn't hold the rights to sports broadcasts have mostly been shut down, while the remaining ones are the ones that still own the rights. Toronto might be an outlier because it's so large, but in other cities it seems to be the one thing that keeps the lights on.
And Mitch's dj time ;)

Reactions: CharleyHorse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad