TSN: 58% of Canadians are not watching/paying attention to the Stanley Cup Finals.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
8.5 million viewers for Gane 5 across north America over 60n percent increase from Game 5 last year 🤣🤣

Game 7 IF it happens is going over 10 million viewers..

Reactions: PuckG

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Most people are busy with other stuff in June. It's the start of summer and travel season. The cup should have been awarded 2 weeks ago.
The NBA just ended but there's no complaints about the length of their season. I don't buy the warm weather thing. The games start at 8 pm, what else are you doing at night? Last night I was camping but still streamed the game around the fire

IMO what it comes down to is many just aren't interested in the matchup.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Last year only Canada welcomed well over 1% of it's population in new immigrants, and the large majority of them have never seen a hockey game in their entire lives.

I wonder what the poll would reflect if they targeted people born here instead of a general population %.

Reactions: Macheteops

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The NBA just ended but there's no complaints about the length of their season. I don't buy the warm weather thing. The games start at 8 pm, what else are you doing at night? Last night I was camping but still streamed the game around the fire

IMO what it comes down to is many just aren't interested in the matchup.
If no one is interested in this matchup then the NHL has failed to market it. You got one of the most exciting teams of the cap era headlined by the greatest player of the cap era going for a Cup. If that doesn’t draw interest then nothing will.

But this shouldn’t surprise people, the NHL viewership numbers have always been driven by the sizes of local markets of the teams involved. The mainstream barely cares about Stars cause the NHL can’t/won’t market it’s stars properly

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Agree. Season should be over before the end of May. Not sure why they're starting the season so late now, playing into mid-June is ridiculous
intrest wavered when they annouced both teams had a week off. weathers hot outside. people go for a walk , biking enjoying the sun.

And here we have a 2 day break between game 4 and 5, again for 5 and 6, and if game 7....another 2 days between 6 and 7.

Terrible scheduling
the league should rethink about making the regular season start earlier and finish earlier. dont really care if it interferes with nfl in september. get it done.

Reactions: Cams

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
8.5 million viewers for Gane 5 across north America over 60n percent increase from Game 5 last year 🤣🤣

Game 7 IF it happens is going over 10 million viewers..
I say 12 million many people no longer pay for cable and watch games and sporting events on streams this is not counted in the numbers

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Who would watch hockey in the middle of June? Well I do, okay, but for the average person, that makes no sense. Even here in Finland the summer is in full bloom, and most people are thinking of swimming or going on a picnic instead of watching guys skate in a rink of ice. That's the sort of stuff you want to watch in the winter. That's why it's called a winter sport.

Have the finals in April instead of June and I'm sure the viewer counts would be much higher.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Who would watch hockey in the middle of June? Well I do, okay, but for the average person, that makes no sense. Even here in Finland the summer is in full bloom, and most people are thinking of swimming or going on a picnic instead of watching guys skate in a rink of ice. That's the sort of stuff you want to watch in the winter. That's why it's called a winter sport.

Have the finals in April instead of June and I'm sure the viewer counts would be much higher.
Again the NBA finishes at the same time. They must finished a few days ago and nobody says anything. Its just hockey fans that make a big deal

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
the league should rethink about making the regular season start earlier and finish earlier. dont really care if it interferes with nfl in september. get it done.
Historically I've been fine with the finals going into early/mid June at the latest, but it's insane to me that if this goes to Game 7 it's four days before the draft. Absolutely insane. Edmonton's management team would basically go from Florida to Vegas with zero time off lol.

Again the NBA finishes at the same time. They must finished a few days ago and nobody says anything. Its just hockey fans that make a big deal
This is later than the NHL usually ends. The NBA regular season also starts several weeks after the NHL does.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Historically I've been fine with the finals going into early/mid June at the latest, but it's insane to me that if this goes to Game 7 it's four days before the draft. Absolutely insane. Edmonton's management team would basically go from Florida to Vegas with zero time off lol.

This is later than the NHL usually ends. The NBA regular season also starts several weeks after the NHL does.
Other then watch the games what is the gm doing during the finals

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Basketball isn't played on ice nor is played on one. I don't know why is it hard to admit watching hockey in June is counterintuitive, it just is. I get it doesn't matter at all for a hardcore hockey fan but it definitely does matter to a casual viewer.

This thread is full of people explaining how they are willing to pretty much take an extra step to watch hockey and are surprised how other people don't because those are "excuses".

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Because basketball is not PLAYED ON THE ICE and basketball CAN BE PLAYED IN THE SUMMER OUTSIDE IN THE SUN.

How on earth can you POSSIBLY equate basketball with a sport that's played ON ICE by SKATING?

I don't believe I even need to type this. Do you live?

It's sort of like this: "You say that you don't feel like playing football in the snow but I was skiing there just fine."

Convincing argument.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Sports fans overrate how popular sports actually are...

Sports are a pretty popular thing... I mean 42% of the country at least casually keeping tabs on things ain't nothing, it's actually a pretty big number, but ya, most people don't care, and this often seems to surprise Joe Sportsfan.

To be honest, for various reasons, I only watched 5-10 minutes of game 1, didn't see any of game 2, and chances are I'm not going to see a ton of whatever is left. Given this could drag out until late June, it's very possible, if the weather is nice, I might not find out who won this thing until I start paying attention again in the fall.:sarcasm:
but your taking the time to star a thread?

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

I don’t agree with that. In the states April is the end of the NCAA basketball tourney and the beginning of MLB when hope springs eternal, not to mention the NFL draft. Fans look forward to that after a long winter.

Hockey just isn’t a very popular sport to watch on television. I like it for sure but that doesn’t mean squat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad