True Crime and Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Weren’t there a couple of Canadiens players rumored to be tied to someone from organized crime in Russia years ago? Google is vague as to what happened with that.
The Kostitsyn Bros. and Hamrlik IIRC, but as DaveG said it turned out to be nothing. I think they just had an "affiliation" to 1 guy affiliated with the mob (probably the Kostitsyns partying with him or something, Hammer always seemed too smart/mature to get involved with that)

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
The Kostitsyn Bros. and Hamrlik IIRC, but as DaveG said it turned out to be nothing. I think they just had an "affiliation" to 1 guy affiliated with the mob (probably the Kostitsyns partying with him or something, Hammer always seemed too smart/mature to get involved with that)
I had a Russian girlfriend a couple years back and we went to this barbecue organised by some friends of hers. After a couple of conversations I realised it was the freaking Russian mob in Spain basically haha this is how these kind of rumours start

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The victim's family giving Heatley mercy instead of justice is an amazing thing.

I don't think anyone is condoning his actions but I think it's the right thing to give people a second chance.

Not if their reckless behaviour results in even more deaths. There are drivers out there who should simply should not be behind a wheel under any circumstances. Mercy has its limits.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Tom McCarthy

After McCarthy retired from the NHL, he resided in Minnesota. There, he became involved with drug dealer Carl Thompsen. His activities resulted in McCarthy receiving a prison sentence of five years and ten months for conspiracy to traffic a truck full of marijuana in 1994.[15] As he was considered an illegal alien by U.S. authorities, he was sent to the U.S. Federal Leavenworth Penitentiary. He started a hockey program at Leavenworth, earning the respect of his fellow inmates and, eventually, a transfer to a prison in Canada to complete the final year of his full sentence.[15] McCarthy credited the hockey program he began in prison for stirring his passion for coaching.[14]

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Dino Ciccarelli 1 day in jail, fined $1k

Marty McSorley 18 mos probation

Steve Moore 12 mos probation, 80 hours community service

All for on-ice assaults

Reactions: DaveG

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Daniel Ryder (former Flames draft pick) robbed a bank and shortly after turned himself in.

This is where it goes from sad to tragic. On January 6th, 2010, Daniel Ryder turned himself in for holding up a convenience store in Bonavista, Newfoundland. He had entered the store with his face covered by a hood and informed the clerk that he had a gun. Ryder fled the scene, and the police put out a bulletin for him, which turned out to be entirely unnecessary, as Daniel turned himself in.

Daniel Ryder has yet to stand trial (edit: 2019 article.) After appearing in court, the judge ordered him to undergo psych evaluation, at which point it was determined he was unfit to stand trial. Ryder is currently staying at Waterford Psychiatric Hospital in St. Johns, Newfoundland, and doctors have stated that he had a severe psychotic break at the age of 19, right when so much of this started. He likely suffered from depression for years before, which would explain a lack of drive at times (medications for depression limit emotional highs and lows, and generally cause apathy) as well as the “personal reasons” for missing various prospect camps and training camps.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not sure if it was mentioned before but Oilers owner Peter Pocklington during the Gretzky-era hey day was held hostage for 11 hours in his home.

Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington was shot after he was held hostage by a gunman in his home for nearly 12 hours.

Pocklington's wife Eva was the target of the hostage-taking but escaped. The gunman took Peter instead and demanded a $1-million ransom.

The ransom was dropped off inside the house and used as bait to lure the gunman to another part of the home where police had been hiding.

"When the hostage-taker came down the stairs with his gun next to Mr. Pocklington's body, we fired a single shot at the hostage-taker," said Lance Beswick, then public relations director for the Edmonton Police Service.

"The bullet passed through him and struck Mr. Pocklington in the left arm."
an-ambulance-drives-away-from-the-pocklington-home.jpg

This is something right out of a Hollywood movie or something, lol.

• Wow
Reactions: banks

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Surprisingly these many pages into the thread, no mention of these cases I think:

Bobby Ryan’s father charged with attempted murder on his wife, evading justice, fleeing to and reuniting with his family in Canada under new names.

Patrick O’Sullivan suffering abuse at the hands of his psycho ‘hockey dad’.

Donald Brashear as well endured insane child abuse growing up.

Reactions: timekeep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad