True Crime and Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Dany Heatley was responsible for killing teammate Dan Snyder in a reckless accident in which he was under the influence of alcohol. He was sentenced to 3 years probation for homicide for killing the man with his reckless behavior.

The NHL and Atlanta Thrashers shamelessly supported him, and the victim's family apparently asked for him to not be imprisoned. (I don't know why in God's green earth that mattered).

Heatley disgustingly played 14 professional hockey seasons and earned over $50 million dollars in contract earnings after committing vehicular homicide on his former teammate.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Mike Danton:

Another disgusting example of hockey teams not giving two shits about a person's character and signing him to try to win a few more games. Hell they made this guy their captain!

I love that the wiki says he "used life saving skills he learned in prison" to save a teammate, when we now know that there is no benefit from "holding a person's tongue" while having a seizure, and actually is not advised whatsoever these days.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Casey Cizikas was charged with manslaughter after accidentally killing an opponent during a rugby match.

The guy apparently had a concussion a few weeks prior and wasn't medically cleared to play at the time. Despite his family asking Cizikas to be spared at the time, a judge found he used unnecessary force and sentenced him to probation and community service.

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Dany Heatley was responsible for killing teammate Dan Snyder in a reckless accident in which he was under the influence of alcohol. He was sentenced to 3 years probation for homicide for killing the man with his reckless behavior.

The NHL and Atlanta Thrashers shamelessly supported him, and the victim's family apparently asked for him to not be imprisoned. (I don't know why in God's green earth that mattered).

Heatley disgustingly played 14 professional hockey seasons and earned over $50 million dollars in contract earnings after committing vehicular homicide on his former teammate.
Worst thing Heatley got was the injuries sustained in the accident, hardly anything for being an irresponsible jackass who killed a teammate

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022

The victim's family giving Heatley mercy instead of justice is an amazing thing.

I don't think anyone is condoning his actions but I think it's the right thing to give people a second chance.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Another disgusting example of hockey teams not giving two shits about a person's character and signing him to try to win a few more games. Hell they made this guy their captain!

I love that the wiki says he "used life saving skills he learned in prison" to save a teammate, when we now know that there is no benefit from "holding a person's tongue" while having a seizure, and actually is not advised whatsoever these days.

I’m certainly not condoning anything here, like whatsoever. But there’s a lot more context to this than you’re leading on with your comments.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
There was a threat of murder uttered at the handshake line

1724684592226.png

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
The victim's family giving Heatley mercy instead of justice is an amazing thing.

I don't think anyone is condoning his actions but I think it's the right thing to give people a second chance.
I call the bullshit. The family can emotionally forgive him all they want, but their feelings shouldn't factor into justice at all. He recklessly murdered a teammate and got a tap on the wrist (not even a slap). A second chance is maybe like, him getting a normal job and getting to live amongst the public. Not him making 50 mil playing professional hockey.

Do you think that you or I would have gotten 3 years probation for committing vehicular homicide?

I’m certainly not condoning anything here, like whatsoever. But there’s a lot more context to this than you’re leading on with your comments.
Feel free to add as much context to Danton trying to hire a contracted killer as you wish if you think my assessment is unfair to him.

Reactions: The Moops

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

The OP framing it like he walked up and shot Snyder in the head is certainly something.

It is f***ed up and he did do something incredibly stupid that caused Snyder to die, but essentially lumping it in with intentional murder is... A choice.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

David Frost ain't no saint though. I know he was acquitted, but he was arrested for being a Ped0. was he innocent or did he get off on technicality etc.

and also arrested for other stuff too.

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
I call the bullshit. The family can emotionally forgive him all they want, but their feelings shouldn't factor into justice at all. He recklessly murdered a teammate and got a tap on the wrist (not even a slap). A second chance is maybe like, him getting a normal job and getting to live amongst the public. Not him making 50 mil playing professional hockey.

Do you think that you or I would have gotten 3 years probation for committing vehicular homicide?
Well a lot that goes into sentencing involves situational factors and family input. I believe that the family found Heatley extremely remorseful in the aftermath. Also Heatley and Snyder seemed to be close friends so his death had deeply impacted and traumatized Heatley.

Sure he has money and lawyers but I think the judge in this case knows more than you and I do.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Heatleys' BAC was less than 0.015, not close to the legal limit. Impairment by alcohol/drugs wasn't a factor. he still killed someone with reckless driving but being drunk would have taken it to a whole other level and he certainly wouldn't have gotten off as easy if he was hammered and did it.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Feel free to add as much context to Danton trying to hire a contracted killer as you wish if you think my assessment is unfair to him.

Well, for starters, it’s pretty difficult to look at the situation in black and white and ignore the complexities of long term abuse. There are plenty of articles and documentaries about this specific case.

Ace36758

Feb 15, 2007
Calgary

This post is extremely misleading. Dany Heatley had consumed alcohol but was not impaired during the crash. This was proven out during the investigation.

A life lesson, you should be very careful what you say and write. While this accident was tragic and heartbreaking, and he pled guilty to second degree vehicular homicide, alcohol was not a factor. Remember that libel is a thing, and it could come back to bite you.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
David Frost ain't no saint though. I know he was acquitted, but he was arrested for being a Ped0. was he innocent or did he get off on technicality etc.

and also arrested for other stuff too.
Doesn't matter if Frost was a saint or not. You can't just commission people to be murdered.
Well a lot that goes into sentencing involves situational factors and family input. I believe that the family found Heatley extremely remorseful in the aftermath. Also Heatley and Snyder seemed to be close friends so his death had deeply impacted and traumatized Heatley.

Sure he has money and lawyers but I think the judge in this case knows more than you and I do.
I don't think there's anyone who can convince me that he didn't get the "rich athlete" treatment. If you or I committed vehicular homicide while drunk I don't think the judge would be so quick to let us off with zero real punishment. It's a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad