Troy Grosenick

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'll admit right away, I caught only a few minutes of his NHL debut, since I was trying to write a 9 page paper in one day. That said, the result was absolutely impressive. I'd never seen him before, and only saw him briefly in his debut. I would like to get a more informed opinion on this guy. Is he just a really lucky guy, or does he have a future in the NHL? Obviously he's still quite young. Really exciting to see young Sharks goalies do well! I was at Stalock's first NHL start in Ottawa last year in a 5-2 victory, and was going nuts for the guy.

Could we potentially see him backing up Stalock (or another starter) in 2-3 years?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I wrote about his "style" of play in the GDT the other day and I do think he could have a future in the NHL, though I'm skeptical it could be as a starter.

He isn't exactly young (by NHL standards anyway) at 25 but my guess based on how the org feels about him is that they're hoping he's ready to be in the NHL full time next year.

I've seen him play a lot, same with Stalock (college, AHL included) and I don't know how comfortable I am with those two being the goalies of the future.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I wrote about his "style" of play in the GDT the other day and I do think he could have a future in the NHL, though I'm skeptical it could be as a starter.

He isn't exactly young (by NHL standards anyway) at 25 but my guess based on how the org feels about him is that they're hoping he's ready to be in the NHL full time next year.

I've seen him play a lot, same with Stalock (college, AHL included) and I don't know how comfortable I am with those two being the goalies of the future.

He's been playing a regular schedule in the AHL and pretty well I understand, so what makes you think he can't become a starter in the NHL. Last game was a GRAND anomaly and not anywhere indicative of where his average play level would be or you don't think he could handle a full NHL schedule?

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
He's been playing a regular schedule in the AHL and pretty well I understand, so what makes you think he can't become a starter in the NHL. Last game was a GRAND anomaly and not anywhere indicative of where his average play level would be or you don't think he could handle a full NHL schedule?

He's been pretty good in the AHL through 45 games. I think wins are a team stat, not a goalie stat so his record doesn't mean much to me but his numbers (mostly save percentage) are below average. I watch Worcester fairly often and I know it's not always easy to play behind that team so I also don't think that .906 AHL SP is necessarily indicative of his play / talent level.

I didn't say he can't become a starter, but based on his play to date I'm just not sure he can be.

The Carolina game was probably the best game I've seen him play.

Edit:
I should add that goalies are a nightmare to figure out, which is why I won't make definitive statements about them.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Edit:
I should add that goalies are a nightmare to figure out, which is why I won't make definitive statements about them.

I'm trying to dig around my notes (and this forum) for Roy Sommer's exact quote regarding developing goalies, but it's something along the lines of "who the (censored) knows what you're going to get until you get it".

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I'm trying to dig around my notes (and this forum) for Roy Sommer's exact quote regarding developing goalies, but it's something along the lines of "who the (censored) knows what you're going to get until you get it".

I like that.

There are certainly those few prospects that you can see have a damn good chance at becoming something very good and others where the opposite is true but most of them, that statement says it all.

I mean, I still can't figure out if Stalock has what it takes to be a good NHL starter.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I like that.

There are certainly those few prospects that you can see have a damn good chance at becoming something very good and others where the opposite is true but most of them, that statement says it all.

I mean, I still can't figure out if Stalock has what it takes to be a good NHL starter.

The best example is probably Markstrom. He's been on a development rollercoaster from the casual statwatching perspective. IIRC was considered the top goalie prospect in the world at one point.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The best example is probably Markstrom. He's been on a development rollercoaster from the casual statwatching perspective. IIRC was considered the top goalie prospect in the world at one point.

Go check out Jason LaBarbera's stats. For a few years (2003-07ish) he was likely the best goalie in North America not playing in the NHL. Now he's barely an afterthought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad