Speculation: Trouba's No Trade List

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Question, let's say he's traded or waived. He's fine with the new team long term, but decides he has to stick around NY for his wife and newborn. The new team and he mutually agree to a one year leave of absence. What are the contract/cap implications? Would the contract slide for a year, or would the year get erased?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
None of which is the Rangers problem. Rangers should trade him, if he doesn't report then his contract can be suspended.
Players want max cash, max protections and expect sympathy when teams are interested in changing course. The hutzpah on some of these players is surreal.

Never said it was the Rangers problem. If they are able to trade him to one of the 16 teams not on his no trade list or a team claims him off waivers then good for the Rangers. I’m just personally skeptical either will actually happen.

His NTC gives him a lot of control and I just don’t see a limited number of teams willing to take him even at 50% retained unless there’s a nice sweetener. If a team were willing to claim him off waivers, I think that would’ve already happened.

I think the most likely scenario is he plays another season for the Rangers before being dealt next offseason or he gets bought out if there’s another window that opens up for them (an RFA has to go to arbitration for that to happen). And even then, I’m not sure what the benefit is as all the UFA’s are off the market.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Question, let's say he's traded or waived. He's fine with the new team long term, but decides he has to stick around NY for his wife and newborn. The new team and he mutually agree to a one year leave of absence. What are the contract/cap implications? Would the contract slide for a year, or would the year get erased?
I'm pretty sure his new team could toll the contract, but why the hell would it do that when Trouba is overpaid by something like 4M.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

New team could toll the contract but that's putting 8m on the books 2 years down the line. Let's say it's Anaheim for example, that's probably a no go because they would like Trouba off the books 2 summers from now when a lot of RFA's are up.

New team could just eat the cap this year and let Trouba not report, but what incentive is there in that to pay his salary unless the Rangers offer a hell of a sweetener.

New team could also suspend him for not reporting, but then once again no one wins but the Rangers.

The simplest solution is this probably gets pushed to next summer because Trouba is making things too difficult for an immediate resolution.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
New team could toll the contract but that's putting 8m on the books 2 years down the line. Let's say it's Anaheim for example, that's probably a no go because they would like Trouba off the books 2 summers from now when a lot of RFA's are up.

New team could just eat the cap this year and let Trouba not report, but what incentive is there in that to pay his salary unless the Rangers offer a hell of a sweetener.

I'm assuming any team doing this sends back a smaller but still unwanted contract. Or Ny would retain ( can you "future retain"?). Also what's the likelihood of a big cap jump by then? Probably too many moving parts though.

The simplest solution is this probably gets pushed to next summer because Trouba is making things too difficult for an immediate resolution.

Probably, and there might be a lot more teams that could stomach one year of his deal.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
This isn't an issue for Trouba, this is an issue for his wife. His wife having one more year left in New York has no impact on Trouba as a hockey player. Players play away from their families all the time, every season.
Players negotiate ntc's and nmc's so they negate the possibility of playing away from thier families. It's not dirty pool to invoke the clause. Don't like it, pay more and don't give the clause in the first place

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Players negotiate ntc's and nmc's so they negate the possibility of playing away from thier families. It's not dirty pool to invoke the clause. Don't like it, pay more and don't give the clause in the first place

The issue isn't just the clause though. It seems Trouba may be threatening to not report anywhere. Maybe he should have negotiated a full NMC if that was such a big deal to him. He signed a contract that allows him to be traded to 15 teams or waived.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
The Rangers are not wrong at all. This is what the players and teams signed up for. Trouba is paid enough that his family is set for possibly generations. If he no longer is viewed as a positive to the team, then they can move him so long as they abide by the conditions in the contract. Nothing wrong with the Rangers doing that.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
As many are aware, the Rangers are supposedly looking to trade Jacob Trouba now that his NMC has shifted to a 15-team no-trade list. It is being reported that Trouba does not want to leave NYC though, in part because his wife has one more year of her residency there (which makes it extremely difficult for her to relocate), plus they have an infant son.

Assuming this is all the case, how might Trouba had structured his 15-team no trade list in a way that makes it the most difficult for the Rangers to move him without him (which is his right that a lot of players leverage) this offseason and which teams not on his list might have interest in trading for him.

Here's my best guess as to which teams he might have included on his list, which was due 12 hours before the start of UFA:

Teams Mostly Likely on his No Trade List:

Detroit, San Jose, Chicago, Utah, Anaheim, Calgary, Buffalo, Columbus, Seattle, Ottawa, Montreal.

That's 11 teams that all have the cap space to take on most if not all of his contract, plus the Red Wings were rumored to have interest in him.

Other Possible No Trade Teams:

I'll guess the last 4 are Edmonton, Carolina, St. Louis and Nashville - keeping in mind that Nashville had a ton of cap space heading into free agency. Could easily see Philly being on the list though, given their amount of cap space and being part of a rebuild. But, let's go with this for now.

This leaves us with...

Possible Destinations

Vegas, Toronto, Washington, Vancouver, Minnesota, Tampa, Colorado, NJ, Florida, LA, Pittsburgh. These 11 teams are all more or less capped out and/or set at RD, so it's hard to imagine any of them having remotely any interest in Trouba, even with the Rangers retaining.

That leaves 5 teams: Islanders, Philly, Dallas, Boston & Winnipeg.

Tough to see them making a trade with the rival Islanders, but if there's a bad contract coming back maybe something could be worked out and it's probably the best destination for Trouba as he would not have to move. Philly wouldn't be too far either, but again...this could be a team on his No Trade List. Dallas and Boston seem set at RD and I can't see Winnipeg having any interest in bringing him back after he forced his way out.

Curious to see if this is how others would have it structured or which teams might be willing to make a deal if the price is right.
This list is completely wrong

Reactions: Hockeyholic
Feb 5, 2016
Would the Rangers be willing to take Rasmus Ristolainen 3x $5.1mil and Ryan Johansen’s 1x$4mil contracts back in exchange for Jacob Trouba 2x$8mil contract.

If Johansen does not play he would be on LTIR.

If Trouba doesn’t report Philly could either suspend him without pay or suggest that Trouba be placed on NHL/NHLPA player assistance program until Trouba could get his shit together and get his family resettled in Philly.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Would the Rangers be willing to take Rasmus Ristolainen 3x $5.1mil and Ryan Johansen’s 1x$4mil contracts back in exchange for Jacob Trouba 2x$8mil contract.

If Johansen does not play he would be on LTIR.

If Trouba doesn’t report Philly could either suspend him without pay or suggest that Trouba be placed on NHL/NHLPA player assistance program until Trouba could get his shit together and get his family resettled in Philly.
No. Risto has an extra year.
Rangers main reason for moving Trouba is Schneider has passed him on the depth chart and they need his 8 mill cap hit gone.
Shesty/miller/Laf are all getting raises next season… they have to navigate the cap and keep everyone signed, they’ll have some breathing room when Panarin 11.6 comes off the books but the next 1-2 years they can’t be adding high priced players without moving a lot of salary out or cap going up more then expected.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
As many are aware, the Rangers are supposedly looking to trade Jacob Trouba now that his NMC has shifted to a 15-team no-trade list. It is being reported that Trouba does not want to leave NYC though, in part because his wife has one more year of her residency there (which makes it extremely difficult for her to relocate), plus they have an infant son.

Assuming this is all the case, how might Trouba had structured his 15-team no trade list in a way that makes it the most difficult for the Rangers to move him without him (which is his right that a lot of players leverage) this offseason and which teams not on his list might have interest in trading for him.

Here's my best guess as to which teams he might have included on his list, which was due 12 hours before the start of UFA:

Teams Mostly Likely on his No Trade List:

Detroit, San Jose, Chicago, Utah, Anaheim, Calgary, Buffalo, Columbus, Seattle, Ottawa, Montreal.

That's 11 teams that all have the cap space to take on most if not all of his contract, plus the Red Wings were rumored to have interest in him.

Other Possible No Trade Teams:

I'll guess the last 4 are Edmonton, Carolina, St. Louis and Nashville - keeping in mind that Nashville had a ton of cap space heading into free agency. Could easily see Philly being on the list though, given their amount of cap space and being part of a rebuild. But, let's go with this for now.

This leaves us with...

Possible Destinations

Vegas, Toronto, Washington, Vancouver, Minnesota, Tampa, Colorado, NJ, Florida, LA, Pittsburgh. These 11 teams are all more or less capped out and/or set at RD, so it's hard to imagine any of them having remotely any interest in Trouba, even with the Rangers retaining.

That leaves 5 teams: Islanders, Philly, Dallas, Boston & Winnipeg.

Tough to see them making a trade with the rival Islanders, but if there's a bad contract coming back maybe something could be worked out and it's probably the best destination for Trouba as he would not have to move. Philly wouldn't be too far either, but again...this could be a team on his No Trade List. Dallas and Boston seem set at RD and I can't see Winnipeg having any interest in bringing him back after he forced his way out.

Curious to see if this is how others would have it structured or which teams might be willing to make a deal if the price is right.
Too bad he won't come to Montreal. Because we have tons caproom.

• Wow
Reactions: CanadienShark

ACLEVERNAME

#OFFSEASON
Jan 6, 2010
An untold amount of separated families immigrating/emmigrating around the globe with nothing but dirt in their pockets. An 8millliondollar """athlete""" and his "NY Medical Residency" wife are crying poor that they may have to make their millions elsewhere. Get a f***ing grip. Look at yourselves in the mirror.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Ya because he can afford a year off while trying to get another deal. He’d be the guy with egg in his face if he pulled a non legit stunt.

Although couldn’t happen to a better guy
I wouldn't consider it a non legit stunt. His deal was structured in a way that made it possible for his wife to finish her program before they would have to consider moving. No parent wants to be separated from a newborn for work, let alone for a whole year

I can legitimately see a mental health stressor here given all the factors.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I don’t blame the Drury for trying to unload him and do what’s best to build a team that can get over the hump, and I don’t blame Trouba for exercising a right that’s in his contract and thinking about what’s best for his wife.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Let's say they can waive him and have a team pick him up. That's a very dirty move. I understand it's business and fans want the player gone. but waiving a player to be picked up elsewhere, when he has a child coming and a wife that needs to stay in NY is a very dirty move. The rest of the league will take notice and eventually we will need NMC to be apart of everything. You can't do that to 2 vet players in a row.
Cry me a river… He’s a pro hockey player with a peanut sized brain making millions of dollars… His family will be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad