Rumor: Trouba to Detroit (Rangers retaining)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It’s funny that nobody actually thinks walman will have much of a career going forward but they are still livid he is gone

The problem isn't Walman, if he was traded for future considerations or just waived some people would be curious why he's the odd man out, but no one would be mad. But, Walman+2nd round pick for nothing back was a bad move. If waived its sounding like he would have been claimed and if shopped he might of got a late round pick in return. So it wasn't the juice (Walman leaving to open cap space) it was the squeeze (the 2nd round pick).

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Another low risk move. Nothing to get bent out of shape over. Clear upgrade, short term, good cap number yadda yadda yadda

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
So it does seem, and makes logical sense, that the Wings are pursuing a physical, veteran, stay-at-home, RHD to play opposite to Edvinsson. I guess the question is...

Would you rather have Matt Roy, 29yo, 6'3 210, 0.28ppg at...say... 4x for 6MAAV

OR

Would you rather have Jacob Trouba, 30yo, 6'3, 210, 0.41ppg at... 2x for 5.5MAAV

Edit: I don't have a horse in this race, more just a comparison and talking point

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Look at deployment.

He has always gotten more D-zone starts than O-zone starts. Last year he had slightly more D-zone starts but not enough to explain the cratering of his stats, especially since he wasn't playing against other team's top players. Looking at moneypuck the only defender worse than Trouba on NYR was Lindgren.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
So it does seem, and makes logical sense, that the Wings are pursuing a physical, veteran, stay-at-home, RHD to play opposite to Edvinsson. I guess the question is...

OR

Would you rather have Jacob Trouba, 30yo, 6'3, 210, 0.41ppg at... 2x for 5.5MAAV

Edit: I don't have a horse in this race, more just a comparison and talking point
I have a horse in that race. Matt Roy, no questions asked and by a mile.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
So...why would we want you pay a middle pairing dman 8m? Cause we don't aspire to win?

Yzerman isn't paying 8m. He's a massive defensive improvement over Walman. So yes, that's aspiration to win enough to try to sneak in to the PO. This also helps aliviate the pressure from Seider having to be the only dman to play defense.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yzerman isn't paying 8m. He's a massive defensive improvement over Walman. So yes, that's aspiration to win enough to try to sneak in to the PO. This also helps aliviate the pressure from Seider having to be the only dman to play defense.

Trouba is not a top pairing d-man, especially one that should be getting a lot of offense zone starts. Putting him on the first pairing won’t end well.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He sucks defensively, the only thing he brings is physicality, and not the type of physicality I appreciate.

OR

Matt Roy by a country mile

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I try and make a habit out of not getting upset about things until they actually happen but hopefully this isn't true

Trouba was straight up awful this year

and before anyone brings up the broken ankle i'm not just talking about the Playoffs, he said he broke it in March and he was awful all year
Not trying to argue about Trouba in later months but Trouba was very good in months up till December. Trouba and Kam were one of the best pairings in the league in the early months of the season. Look at the Trouba thread on teh Rangers board. Ranger fans will complain about anything and nobody was complaining about Trouba in the early months of the season. After the injury he was really bad. As a Rangers fan I do not know which is the real Trouba. The guy from early in the season or the guy after the injury. Early in the season Trouba was our leading minutes guy. That was because he was playing so well.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I do worry that we have some of the worst pro scouting in hockey. This seems to go all the way back to Ken Holland's days too. It feels like it's been 20 years since the Red Wings identified an underutilized player on another NHL team, brought them in and had them perform even up to expectations, let alone above them. I know there's a couple debatable examples in that time, but man, on the whole it has been really rough.

Which is to say that we probably love Trouba and are about to trade Edvinsson for him or something.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I'm starting losing faith in Yzerman&Co defensemen scouting. Why do they need to do same shit over and over again. Ok, maybe Trouba is better then Chiarot, but maybe they will acquire somebody who can defend in trasition, and not run around like a headless chicken

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Will hold of judgement on Trouba until a trade is actually confirmed...or some details besides a rumor he is coming here. How I feel about him will depend alot on his salary cap hit when he gets here and what we give up if the deal happens... coming over at full price, we better move out salary (or get him with retention) or it's a loss, no doubt.

Gibby

Apr 29, 2010
London, ON
I like Walman, but he was getting scratched while Trouba was getting top 4 minutes and captaining the President's Cup winning Rangers.

He wouldn't be getting traded if his cap hit was 5.5.

I think someone mentioned it earlier; it's about getting just a little bit better each year. Even if this backfires, it's worth the 2 year swing.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I like Walman, but he was getting scratched while Trouba was getting top 4 minutes and captaining the President's Cup winning Rangers.

He wouldn't be getting traded if his cap hit was 5.5.

I think someone mentioned it earlier; it's about getting just a little bit better each year. Even if this backfires, it's worth the 2 year swing.

The end goal is to get incrementally better without mortgaging the future. These UFA who will want 6 years that will effectively take them to the ripe of of 36/37 WITH massive overpayments.. no thanks!

Trouba makes sense @ 2 yrs with a 5.5 cap hit. I suspect this allow Seider's offense to go up since he'll be able to start in the offensive zone more because the 2nd paring will have Trouba. He also brings much needed leadership.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Can't wait to see this guy in a Wings uniform.

savageelbow.jpg

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
Could see Trouba as steady player here with a rebound season. I think not being asked to be the anchor on the pairing will go a long way. Two year commitment is a positive too and certainly fits Yzerman's MO with older players at this point. If he can bring some more physicality to this team, I'll be very pleased. Detroit has been a push-over for years when it comes to the rough stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00