Proposal: Trouba Mega Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
What?

This is garbage. Jacob Trouba is one player. The Jets are an organization of all of the players, coaches, management and staff. More importantly they exist for the fans. The hopes and dreams of hockey players (professional athletes) is to play in the NHL (pros). When you start extending this to his dreams to play it the States then you are going too far. The Jets legally own the rights to his services he signed the ELC. HE is what they need to continue to grow towards contending in the playoffs. He has the right to ask for a trade, but his actions have made it more difficult to trade him so if this is taking long and he's losing money too bad. That's on him. He could be playing right now and would be a lot closer to his stated goal.

Buffalo was the only team in a position to be able to pay the Jets what they needed for Kane. The LHD the Jets needed was obviously not on the table, Chevy couldn't pass up the package he got. Either way the RHD excuse has pretty much been debunked now that we are learning more. Trouba can play top line LHD and the assertion that it hurts his value is weak. Don't you think in his next contract negotiation the LHD experience will be used as a reason to pay him more?

You make it sound like the 1940 - 50's where the owners were actually screwing the players. Salaries are so out of touch with reality now that saying he's being taken advantage of is insulting to people who make an average salary.

Extending your dream to play in your home country going too far :shakehead

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I don't get why people are upset with Trouba wanting out of Winnipeg.

Chevy pretty recently traded for a top 4 RD in Myers. Deal Bogosian for a LD or whatever and none of this would happen. Buff is taking a ton of PP time in Winnipeg, and rightfully so. He is at least top 5 in the world, or in that neighborhood. The moves you make have consequences.

Jacob Trouba is a young promising hockey player, can anyone fault him that he wants to play for a team that will use him more when Winnipeg clearly does not have that intent?

I don't quite like that a team can really screw a player in this league and there is no consequences for it. You only have one career, you only get one shot. This is their dream, their life. Why should these kids accept to get all that ruined just because someone else feels like it? Players should get better at taking notice how some teams threat their players, and "vote with their feats" so to speak...

Some things never change. Still coming in here making up stories because too lazy to check any of your "facts". Still pretending to be an expert on the Jets

Re: the bolded & all the other crap being spewed about how bad Trouba has been treated by the Jets, perhaps you might like to listen to this
https://soundcloud.com/hustler-lawless/button-trouba-will-be-traded-on-jets-terms

So to your point of not being used enough, he has the 35th most ice time of all defensemen in the NHL. Thats like top line minutes. Boy the Jets have really screwed Trouba huh.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I don't get why people are upset with Trouba wanting out of Winnipeg.

Chevy pretty recently traded for a top 4 RD in Myers. Deal Bogosian for a LD or whatever and none of this would happen. Buff is taking a ton of PP time in Winnipeg, and rightfully so. He is at least top 5 in the world, or in that neighborhood. The moves you make have consequences.

Jacob Trouba is a young promising hockey player, can anyone fault him that he wants to play for a team that will use him more when Winnipeg clearly does not have that intent?

I don't quite like that a team can really screw a player in this league and there is no consequences for it. You only have one career, you only get one shot. This is their dream, their life. Why should these kids accept to get all that ruined just because someone else feels like it? Players should get better at taking notice how some teams threat their players, and "vote with their feats" so to speak...

Some people still believe this is about usage? Really? Wow talk about being miss informed yikes

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
So, the two players in the history of the team that wanted to be moved give the team a bad reputation to other players. But the 50 or 60 others that have played with the team and been completely happy hold no sway over other players? Did you put any thought into your argument at all. It works both ways and the amount of happy players far outweigh the malcontents.

What a silly argument.

Maybe I wasn't as articulate as I needed to be. My point was, you can't argue that you have to strong arm Trouba because it will set the precedent that any RFA will want out, which is unlikely (How many times has this happened?) and completely dismiss the fact that Chevy is notoriously slow to make moves and that is playing into Troubas decision.

This situation rarely happens and how it has been handled will have future ramifications for all parties.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They either believe the company line or are shills for Chevy. What else would the Jets tell anyone if they want to make the best deal they can by December 1st. I would put the odds at 90% that he is traded, 9% he signs, and 1% he sits out.

Or, your read on the situation is incorrect.

Dreger and Friedman work for national networks based out of Toronto. Not sure why they would be shilling for Cheveldayoff; that is just a silly premise and is clearly simply a straw you are clutching at to back up your assertion that he will be traded. People actually connected to covering the NHL are currently saying it doesn't look likely, but anonymous internet persona cobra427 puts it at 90%. OK.

Agreed. I think it's much more likely Trouba caves and signs a short contract in the hopes that WPG will trade him later on in the season or next summer. At least that way he has some control over his situation and doesn't get stuck in WPG for half a decade or more. Starting next season (assuming he signs and plays this year) he gets arbitration rights. Not that that really resolves much for him, but it's a well he can keep going to if WPG will not trade him to ensure that he spends the least amount of time in WPG as possible.

I mean it's possible a team steppes up and meets WPG's demands, but even if WPG starts to fall in the standings... I don't think anyone really expected this team to contend this year - which means while Trouba sitting for a season (or more realistically going to Europe) would suck, it's not the end of the world for them.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Well maybe, Maybe he needs to be closer to home due to family reasons. Don't know yet i saw on the Jets board that with his Dads lawsuit that his Dad isn't aloud in Canada so if that in fact is the case it could stand the reason why he wants to play close to home near Detroit and why he wouldn't want to play in Canada so his family can watch him.

Seriously, he will still be playing in Canada and his family can watch him play any away game against a US team very easily assuming the rumor is true.

If it was for family reasons he would have said so and he likely would have signed with the Jets and then the jets would have jump through hoops to make a deal.

posts like yours need to stop:shakehead

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Maybe I wasn't as articulate as I needed to be. My point was, you can't argue that you have to strong arm Trouba because it will set the precedent that any RFA will want out, which is unlikely (How many times has this happened?) and completely dismiss the fact that Chevy is notoriously slow to make moves and that is playing into Troubas decision.

This situation rarely happens and how it has been handled will have future ramifications for all parties.

There will be no back lash. The Jets are only following the CBA that says you are restricted to your drafting team for 7 years or aged 27 whichever comes first. It is Trouba that is trying to change the rules

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Agreed. I think it's much more likely Trouba caves and signs a short contract in the hopes that WPG will trade him later on in the season or next summer. At least that way he has some control over his situation and doesn't get stuck in WPG for half a decade or more. Starting next season (assuming he signs and plays this year) he gets arbitration rights. Not that that really resolves much for him, but it's a well he can keep going to if WPG will not trade him to ensure that he spends the least amount of time in WPG as possible.

I mean it's possible a team steppes up and meets WPG's demands, but even if WPG starts to fall in the standings... I don't think anyone really expected this team to contend this year - which means while Trouba sitting for a season (or more realistically going to Europe) would suck, it's not the end of the world for them.

I would be surprised that the jets would sign a short contract based on what happened. It would make it easier to make a trade on a reasonable long term contract.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Such a ridiculous argument. I'm sure there are things you don't like about your job or things you think are unfair. Yet somewhere in the world is someone who would gladly take the bad part of your job because you make more than them.

That doesn't dismiss your complaints.

Oh, and likely you don't have the skills or talent to do something that would make someone want to offer you $5m, so there's that.

My point is that by wanting him to stay and play in Winnipeg, the Jets are hardly ruining his life.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Extending your dream to play in your home country going too far :shakehead

He can play for a US team when he is a UFA or when the Jets trade him to a US team. Until then this is all on trouba, the jets are willing to pay him fmv long term, he is choosing to sit out.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
There will be no back lash. The Jets are only following the CBA that says you are restricted to your drafting team for 7 years or aged 27 whichever comes first. It is Trouba that is trying to change the rules

What rule is he trying to change? He is following the CBA also. There is no rule that says he has to sign a contract with the Jets. Only hat he can't sign one with another NHL team until the Jets say it is ok by trading him.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He can play for a US team when he is a UFA or when the Jets trade him to a US team. Until then this is all on trouba, the jets are willing to pay him fmv long term, he is choosing to sit out.

Doesn't matter. If a player dream is to play hockey in his home country and wants to do that refusing to sign a new contract with a team from another country it ain't going to far.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
What rule is he trying to change? He is following the CBA also. There is no rule that says he has to sign a contract with the Jets. Only hat he can't sign one with another NHL team until the Jets say it is ok by trading him.

The rules don't even state that. He had the right to sign a contract with any team he wants right now. It's just that the Jets hold the right to match that contract.

I have no issue with what Trouba is doing. He's a free agent.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Wanting to move from somewhere someone don't like doesn't mean they aren't a professional. A professional isn't a robot or slave doing whatever the employer wants. If a player is unhappy somewhere they tend to ask for trades and sometimes they will go nuclear if they really really aren't happy and the team doesn't address it by traded them that doesn't mean they aren't professional it makes them human a human has feelings and when unhappy they do all kinds of things.

Some fans of teams that have players wanting to be traded get upset and say screw you and would want their team to make it miserable on someone who is already unhappy :shakehead whatever happened to not wanting someone who doesn't want to be here? Just trade a unhappy player for a decent return and be done with it. No way do I believe Jets haven't got a decent trade offer.

I get it Jets fans don't want their team to cave into the demands of a player. If Jets don't cave into Trouba demands it won't mean that Jets will never ever have to deal with a situation like this.

All I'm saying is that, there are rules in place and Trouba was aware that when he put pen to paper on a elc the Jets basically owned his playing career for a specified amount of time or until they decide to trade him. One of the downsides of being a pro hockey player is that sometimes you live and play in places you don't want to until you pay your dues and get to UFA. If Trouba doesn't like that then retire from Pro hockey.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
All I'm saying is that, there are rules in place and Trouba was aware that when he put pen to paper on a elc the Jets basically owned his playing career for a specified amount of time or until they decide to trade him. One of the downsides of being a pro hockey player is that sometimes you live and play in places you don't want to until you pay your dues and get to UFA. If Trouba doesn't like that then retire from Pro hockey.

And if it came to that lets just say the Jets would be big losers and it will not be a positive thing for the franchise future.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hope the Jets stand pat. Being a Pro hockey player has it's pros and cons just like any other profession and just like any other profession there are rules. Trouba knew what the deal was when he took the path of a pro hockey player.

The flip side of that is that it's usually in a GMs best interest to move a player if he asks for a trade as long as there's a deal out there that's good enough. Just like how players don't usually want to play for a team that doesn't want them (aka asks them to waive their NTC/NMC), why would a team want a player who doesn't want to be there? I get that WPG is concerned that this could set a precedent with other young players... but on the same hand... isn't playing hard ball doing the exact same thing with every potential player?

I mean you do have to wonder what impact this would have on other players. Winnipeg already has some challenges due to it's location (this isn't a knock on WPG, just reality). But if you're a FA and you sign a contract there and 6 months into it you realize that it's not working and not for you, so you ask for a trade, wouldn't you be a little pissed if the GM dragged his feet for 18 months before accommodating you? We saw it happen with E.Kane (how many summers in a row did he ask for a trade before it finally happened - probably only because he forced their hand). Now we're seeing it happen with Trouba.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010

Ok, I can agree to that. He is following the rules and the jets are following the rules. There still will not be any backlash since everyone is following the rules. See everyone is happy now.

aj8000

Jun 5, 2010
Doesn't matter. If a player dream is to play hockey in his home country and wants to do that refusing to sign a new contract with a team from another country it ain't going to far.

Sure, he has the right to not sign with the Jets. I am ok with that; however, the jets have the right not to trade him as well. If he wants to wait until 27 to play in the NHL, that is his choice. If he wants to play in the NHL sooner, he will need to deal with the jets. it is still on him. The jets do not need to give in just because trouba wants them too.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If he sits out the whole year, is he a ufa?

Nope. And he's actually worse off in that regard because he doesn't even accrue a year towards his UFA status. Right now WPG (or whatever team holds his rights) will have 4 years of team control left before Trouba could be a UFA. If he sits the entire year, that will not change and he'd still owe someone those 4 years. So unless he's planning on spending 4 years in Europe until he's 27 to become a UFA, his fastest route to ensure he's playing where he wants to is to play this season.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas

Your point just doesn't make sense. It is far more likely that Trouba miscalculated and thought the Jets would cave and trade him for whatever they could get, ending the situation quickly and making all his dreams come true. He was wrong.

So, doing what he's doing he may still sit for a few years except he won't get paid. That's why the argument makes no sense.

Also, Chevy isn't strong arming anyone, this is Trouba's choice.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Well maybe, Maybe he needs to be closer to home due to family reasons. Don't know yet i saw on the Jets board that with his Dads lawsuit that his Dad isn't aloud in Canada so if that in fact is the case it could stand the reason why he wants to play close to home near Detroit and why he wouldn't want to play in Canada so his family can watch him.

The Jets are the only Canadian team in the Central so give Trouba's dad lots of opportunity to watch him. I believe Michigan is closer to Minnesota than say LA or NY so not that hard to do.
With 23 of 30 teams US based daddy is free to travel throughout the country to see Jacob.
Another weak excuse.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Watching Jets' skating into each other in their defensive zone and giving up goals like a going out of business sale, no wonder he wants out.
:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad