Trouba huge hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The rule is grammatically nonsense it doesn't say you can't skate into people. It actually parses into you can't skate.

"A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates, jumps into or charges an opponent in any manner."

This rule has three cases, a player who:
1. Skates
2. Jumps into
3. Charges an opponent in any manner

Since a plain text reading of penalizing any player who skates is asinine we are forced to assume they made an error and mean:

A player who charges an opponent by:
1. Skating into them
2. Jumping into them
3. Charging them by any other manner

In which case we look at the second paragraph and how the NHL defines charging. Which would hardly preclude all skating into someone.

The phrase 'force from the ground' doesn't show up anywhere. What do you mean when you say this?
Are you saying you don't understand the rule? Or are you just feigning ignorance?

Yes, if a phrase doesn't show up in a rule describing limitations, it means that is not prohibited by that rule. Given that you said you wanted the rule amended, I assumed you knew that exerting force from the ground wasn't prohibited by the charging rule.

Since we're at the point where you're discussing grammar in the NHL rulebook, I can only assume that you either agree that prohibiting players from exerting force from the ground would essentially mean you're outlawing hitting, or you've just decided to waste my time. Either way, I'm back to work.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Are you saying you don't understand the rule? Or are you just feigning ignorance?

Yes, if a phrase doesn't show up in a rule describing limitations, it means that is not prohibited by that rule. Given that you said you wanted the rule amended, I assumed you knew that exerting force from the ground wasn't prohibited by the charging rule.

Since we're at the point where you're discussing grammar in the NHL rulebook, I can only assume that you either agree that prohibiting players from exerting force from the ground would essentially mean you're outlawing hitting, or you've just decided to waste my time. Either way, I'm back to work.

The air bud clause? Tell me you're not that facile.

Could you do the me the favor of explaining what you think exerting force from the ground means? It may well be covered by the rule book.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I've long thought that, when you sign up for HF, that you 'must' declare your favorite team. Then on the top of every thread there's a 'filter fans' option. If you select that option then every fan of both teams involved's posts would be hidden from view. Then you wouldn't have to read page after page after page of homer tinted nonsense (much of which the offending posters would be screaming the exact opposite if the jerseys were switched on the players involved...).

As a completely neutral/don't really like either team observer..

It was a perfectly clean, albeit solid hit.
You have to know who is out on the ice whenever you're out there too
Keep your head up & don't suddenly duck/dodge to try to avoid a hit
If you jump someone after a clean hit, you should face an automatic one game suspension (if you think it was dirty, go look at the replay on the bench & 'then' if it was, go extract your retribution)

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I've long thought that, when you sign up for HF, that you 'must' declare your favorite team. Then on the top of every thread there's a 'filter fans' option. If you select that option then every fan of both teams involved's posts would be hidden from view. Then you wouldn't have to read page after page after page of homer tinted nonsense (much of which the offending posters would be screaming the exact opposite if the jerseys were switched on the players involved...).

As a completely neutral/don't really like either team observer..

It was a perfectly clean, albeit solid hit.
You have to know who is out on the ice whenever you're out there too
Keep your head up & don't suddenly duck/dodge to try to avoid a hit
If you jump someone after a clean hit, you should face an automatic one game suspension (if you think it was dirty, go look at the replay on the bench & 'then' if it was, go extract your retribution)

It'd be abused but better than nothing

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Woof, not sure what Barron was thinking there. Hope he's alright.
He skated the puck up the ice from just around the faceoff circle in his own zone up to around the Ranger's faceoff circle before he got creamed. Skated like 120 feet up the ice and didn't pick up that it was Trouba on the Right Side D not Fox or Schneider? There are certain things you can and can't do based on who the opposing Dman is.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The air bud clause? Tell me you're not that facile.

Could you do the me the favor of explaining what you think exerting force from the ground means? It may well be covered by the rule book.
Again, I can only assume you're feigning ignorance at this point. I have neither the time nor the inclination to waste my time playing along.

Reactions: noncents

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
You can argue the merits of whether or not this was a "needed hit" at this stage of the game but this is not a dirty hit. Trouba just blew him up. I hope Barron is ok but this was a textbook hit.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
The league needs to more clearly amend charging to keep players from popping up into / jumping into hits. The standard shouldn't solely be airborne prior to contact. This is doubly true if the contact is essentially only someone's head.

Rule 48.1 already accounts for "unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward."

Between the charging rule and rule 48.1 it's already covered.

Reactions: SnuggaRUDE

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Those engines are still powered after they collide. A player stops skating prior to hitting.

And none of those players overcomes gravity unless they're jumping. Being in a collision doesn't lesson the effect of gravity.
They may stop skating, but they still have momentum. This is basic physics. It’s getting painful watching you struggle so badly. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: pld459666

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
This is the basic physics of hitting. Every NHL hit you have ever seen has the guys popping up, not because it's intentional, but because that's where the momentum from the force of collision goes. Take a step and drive your shoulder into a wall, does the wall push you downwards or backwards? It's going to send your momentum upwards.
I'm sorry, but what the F are you talking about. For fun, I did what you asked though.....I took a step and drove my shoulder into a wall....I didn't move upwards.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
You are coming into the zone with the modern day Scott Stevens playing RD and you aren't expecting to get hit? Trouba literally flew through the air like Superman last year to try to hit someone. This Montreal player needs some time in the AHL because this league is clearly too fast for him.
What?!

Trouba is not in the same universe as Stevens, If he was then Ranger's fans and their GM wouldn't have been trying to trade him this offseason.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I’ll be the one who says it, the league is facing an epidemic of players who don’t know how to take hits and/or are abusing the extremely strict rules nowadays for puck protection. It blows my mind seeing players turn their backs to defenders while standing 4/5 feet away from the boards as a means of puck protection, just trusting that players won’t make the wrong split second call and finish their check.

This is the safest it’s ever been to play in the league, and more and more players are getting hurt just because they have habits that would’ve resulted in fatalities 10-20 years ago. Every player as a kid was taught to hug the boards in Barron’s position, instead he tucks his head and tries to cut to the middle against a top 3 most physical defenseman in the league.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
My first impression was that it should have been a major to Trouba, but I've changed my mind after seeing the replays.

I think it's pretty much shoulder straight to Barron's head, but I also think Trouba had the right to throw that check there and Barron really screwed up by reaching for his flubbed pass.

Whether or not it should be allowed, I think it follows a pattern of hits that the league has decided does not warrant discipline. Square to the checker, through the center, as opposed to "picking the head", and Barron changed direction and put himself in a worse spot.

Why Matheson got an instigator when Trouba threw his gloves off first is still a mystery to me.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
My first impression was that it should have been a major to Trouba, but I've changed my mind after seeing the replays.

I think it's pretty much shoulder straight to Barron's head, but I also think Trouba had the right to throw that check there and Barron really screwed up by reaching for his flubbed pass.

Whether or not it should be allowed, I think it follows a pattern of hits that the league has decided does not warrant discipline. Square to the checker, through the center, as opposed to "picking the head", and Barron changed direction and put himself in a worse spot.

Why Matheson got an instigator when Trouba threw his gloves off first is still a mystery to me.

Because he skated right over and challenged Trouba after the hit. It's pretty clear what his intention was.

Ew. All this defending of Trouba is making me throw up in my mouth a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad