Trouba huge hit

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Then why wouldn't forwards skate around with their heads down knowing they can't be hit?
Because you have players who actually manage the time and space evaluation and are able to land legal hits. I know it might come as a surprise to some, but they happen all the time, most often with less force. Watch a game or two and you'll see.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Clean hit as in it is legal under NHL rules.

I think the league could do more to protect players brains (like punish non-hockey plays like elbows to the head more severely) but how do you eliminate these kinds of hits without fundamentally changing the game?

This hit ended up with head contact but not because of anything Trouba did other than throw a legal body check.

Strongly disagree here.

Start punishing and suspending ANY hit to the head, and you'll suddenly see players stop targetting heads, and you'll still see spectacular "body" checks. Players will adapt and stop targetting the head. But right now, it's not something they even have to consider. Whenever they see a player with his head down, they think : "hey, easy target! Let's hurt him without consequence for me".

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The chest and the chin are not in the same spot.

Most dmen now are intelligent enough to push the player off into the boards or hug him in. Same hockey play results in it.

Ah a 5-2 game with 10 minutes left needed a momentum swing.
All games need momentum. If you think more players won’t be aware when Trouba, or any big hitter is on the ice, then I just know you don’t play hockey. Finally a player knocked on his ass will always be less of a threat than a guy you’re hugging against the boards.

Wholly hell this generation is sofftttt

And please explain how if someone is going this into the middle of the ice they’re supposed to just “hug them into the boards” :laugh:

Reactions: 80s Kid

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Strongly disagree here.

Start punishing and suspending ANY hit to the head, and you'll suddenly see players stop targetting heads, and you'll still see spectacular "body" checks. Players will adapt and stop targetting the head. But right now, it's not something they even have to consider. Whenever they see a player with his head down, they think : "hey, easy target! Let's hurt him without consequence for me".

A lot of players don't target the head but when you're trying to throw a bodycheck and the guy has his head down, you might make contact with his head.

I feel like you're underestimating how little time there is between lining someone up and making contact.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Strongly disagree here.

Trouba did adapt. He got as low as possible (he was below the glass) to try to hit him through the chest. 20-30 years ago he would've smashed him through the head.

Players can adapt all they want, if there's still reckless guys not protecting themselves out there by skating with their head down, then guys will always get hit like this.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Because you have players who actually manage the time and space evaluation and are able to land legal hits. I know it might come as a surprise to some, but they happen all the time, most often with less force. Watch a game or two and you'll see.
Care to show us the plays where devasting hits and had exactly zero head contact?

Im sure you can come up with hundreds if not thousand of examples since it happens all the time?

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
That's not how it works. You've got a Red Wings avatar, I'm assuming you watched Kronwall for years man, you should know how it works.
As mentioned before in the thread. Kronwall had a ton of hits. The absolute majority was clean hits on where some/many hit head in the follow through of the hit. A few hit wrong/was bad.
It's called timing. He timed his hit, which is how you're supposed to hit.
And hit him right in the head first where it jolted back. Bad timing. Wish he hit that one with good timing, would have been perfect, but it wasn't.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

You keep making smartass condescending responses but you're not really answering the question. And this was a legal hit.

Of course there's players who throw hits that don't make head contact. That doesn't mean all those hits that don't involve head contact are the result of the hitter making some decision not to hit a player in the head.

For the record I think Trouba throws a lot of dirty elbows. I'm no fan of his or the Rangers.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
My 2 cents :

- A clean, legal hit according to the NHL rulebook

- A disgusting, gutless and vicious move according to any other human standards.

But since the NHL is trash : good hit! We were lucky enough to see a young man get concussed live on TV and there was blood and a fight as a bonus. What a good show!

Also, good thing that the NHL punished the only moral thing that happened in this sequence, which is to defend a rookie player getting attacked by a repeated offender. Lets keep this as immoral and indecent as possible please!

It sends a really great message to our kids! It's ok to attack vulnerable people! It's wrong to defend your younger friend against bullies! Violence is so cool! Concussions makes a good show!
Today I have learned that hard clean NHL hits is now “bullying” :laugh:

This place never stops amazing me.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
To all of the above.

If you are unable to make a clean hit, don't make the hit. Simple. IF you decide to make a dirty hit because that's your way to stop the opponent or the play. Fine. Then take the suspension if you want it and do it more times later on so you get longer and longer suspensions.

Or just make clean hits like apparently much of the rest of the league manage to do and surprisingly they don't make the hits they don't think they can't make if they see they can't land a clean hit.

The hit is at post 122 on page 5. Trouba clearly hits the head first, the head jolts back before hitting anything else at all. It's targeted.

So easy, yet so difficult for some.
You keep saying “hit the head first” like that has any single meaning whatsoever lol.

You have still, for the 6th time now, avoided the question.

If a player is skating directly at you with his head down, you only move is to not hit him in your mind?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
A lot of players don't target the head but when you're trying to throw a bodycheck and the guy has his head down, you might make contact with his head.

I feel like you're underestimating how little time there is between lining someone up and making contact.

I prefer punishing a player for hitting the head of another player while attempting to throw a legal body check, than to blame the victim for having his head down. But maybe that's just me.

These days, having your head down automatically exempts any opposing player for concussing you. It's basically a green light to head hunting. It shouldn't be this way.

Benefit of the doubt shouldn't be to the offender, but to the targetted player.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Care to show us the plays where devasting hits and had exactly zero head contact?

Im sure you can come up with hundreds if not thousand of examples since it happens all the time?
You got access to Youtube as everyone else, go look it up yourself. I'm sure its not impossible for you to do if you really don't have the answer or haven't seen enough games to have seen it before yourself.

Also, I haven't mentioned that hits have zero head contact. I'm saying the targeted head point of contacts as this one is are bad.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I prefer punishing a player for hitting the head of another player while attempting to throw a legal body check, than to blame the victim for having his head down. But maybe that's just me.

These days, having your head down automatically exempts any opposing player for concussing you. It's basically a green light to head hunting. It shouldn't be this way.

But then players will all skate with their heads down rendering them essentially untouchable.

The game happens at a speed that a lot of time the guy you're about to hit is not looking. But they have situational awareness and often see or "feel" the hit coming and get their head up by the time you actually make contact. How is someone supposed to predict if the guy isn't going to react?

Like I said, I don't see how you make these hits illegal without significantly impacting the game and players' ability to throw body checks.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
The chest and the chin are not in the same spot.
You’re an infection to facts. Stop watching hockey.

IMG_8117.png

IMG_8118.png

IMG_8122.png

IMG_8120.png

IMG_8121.png

IMG_8122.png

Go discharge your bullshit somewhere else. This is a textbook, clean check. The most innocent hits can look predatory if the player with the puck is too stupid to protect himself.

We see hits like this routinely. Every single night. It’s rarely an issue, until a stupid ass player forgets this real hockey.

Trouba has a history of unnecessary predatory hits. Hits, that I dislike despite being a Rangers fan. This is not the case here.

Tell Barron to lift his f***ing head up next time. And, if this you violent for you…..? Stop watching and posting about hockey.

Attachments

• IMG_8117.png
    IMG_8117.png
    841.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8117.png
    IMG_8117.png
    841.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Whoot Whoot

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You got access to Youtube as everyone else, go look it up yourself. I'm sure its not impossible for you to do if you really don't have the answer or haven't seen enough games to have seen it before yourself.

Also, I haven't mentioned that hits have zero head contact. I'm saying the targeted head point of contacts as this one is are bad.
Sorry to tell you big dog, but you have absolutely no idea what “targeting the head” actually means :laugh:

McAvoy hit was targeting the head. There was zero way to make this hit, which was through the body, without making head contact.

I’ll let others keep laughing at your horrible takes. You can’t seem to even grasp the most simple of concepts.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
You keep making smartass condescending responses but you're not really answering the question. And this was a legal hit.

Of course there's players who throw hits that don't make head contact. That doesn't mean all those hits that don't involve head contact are the result of the hitter making some decision not to hit a player in the head.

For the record I think Trouba throws a lot of dirty elbows. I'm no fan of his or the Rangers.
Well when you make smartass responses don't be surprised when you get it in return. I replied to yours. And I answered the question.

I'm not sure what you argue, that players don't make a decision to not hit the head, so therefore they don't hit the head and because of that there is plenty of hits that don't make head contact?
Anyway, yes a lot of hits hit good and don't use or need overly excessive force to make a hit that is good enough to do its purpose.

I don't have any ill will against Trouba either. If he as known for being a predatory dirty elbow hitter also decide to make a dirty hit, maybe not the best choice of him. But yeah, to some people the hitter is the victim...
I just wish he hit it clean. Would have been a great hit.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
But then players will all skate with their heads down rendering them essentially untouchable.

The game happens at a speed that a lot of time the guy you're about to hit is not looking. But they have situational awareness and often see or "feel" the hit coming and get their head up.

Like I said, I don't see how you make these hits illegal without significantly impacting the game and players' ability to throw body checks.

Disagree. Players skating with their head down wouldn't be untouchable. You can still check them without trying to make hit a highlight reel hit. You check them by accounting for the fact that they are in a vulnerable state. The goal of hockey is not to make spectacular checks, it's to take control of the puck. If they player doesn't see you coming, you don't need to apply full force to make him lose control of the puck.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Strongly disagree here.

If I’m skating directly at you with my head down, making me the equivalent of 4 feet tall… how are you going to avoid my head?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Ouch. As much as I despise Trouba for being a dirty piece of shit with his targeted elbows, this particular hit isn't really an example of that. Barron put himself in a bad spot and he got plastered. Hope Barron is ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad