Trouba huge hit

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Shoulder through the guys skull.

HFboards: "Clean hit"

Amazing anyone thinks this should be in our game. Did Barron pull up to try to dodge the train? Yes. Did Troube still make contact directly with his head? Yes.

This isnt a fun video game hit anymore. This can ruin guys lives.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
The rule is talking about picking the head. Trouba did not do that.
No, the rules is literally this:

"48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted."

Now there are some points to consider before they determine more of the incident.

"In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:

(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.

(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.

(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact."

So, what happened? Trouba hit the head as proven in post 122.
Did the factors play a role?

(i) No it wasn't poor timing, poor angle. It was direct approach and lets call it unnecessary extension of body upwards towards the head as that was hit first.

(ii) This is a yes and no answer. Yes in a sense that I'd say any player going up ice will do a degree be in a vulnerable position, but point of head contact is fully unavoidable here if you hit right.

(iii) He did not change the position of body or head, even going closer to the boards right before, thus no matter what the hit would basically be the same.

So, yeah. Its a purposely dirty hit. Unfortunately.

hockeyhow7

May 18, 2015
Its is actually.

"48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted."
Why did you leave out all the points below that? Hurts your argument right? The first bullet point tells you that you can hit through somebody with head contact.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Nothing wrong at all with that hit.

That's a great Hockey hit. If a player has no awareness that's his problem.

Barron isn't the brightest Hockey mind and it showed there.

Reactions: gimbznyr

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Bolded the relevant part for you. If Trouba is coming through the body, below the glass, and Barron switches his position, contact to the head is unavoidable.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
By default, head contact is legal. In order for it to be deemed illegal, you must positively determine that the head was “picked” and that the contact was not the result of the target’s body position.
Except for hitting the head as point of contact was fully avoidable here and yet he still did it.
As much as I also want these types of open ice hits, this was a dirty one which it was avoidable hitting the head first.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
It wasn't. It was shoulder to shoulder.
Of course it was

1000007595.png

hockeyhow7

May 18, 2015

Now there are some points to consider before they determine more of the incident.

"In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:

(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.

(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.

(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact."

(i) No it wasn't poor timing, poor angle. It was direct approach and lets call it unnecessary extension of body upwards towards the head as that was hit first.

(ii) This is a yes and no answer. Yes in a sense that I'd say any player going up ice will do a degree be in a vulnerable position, but point of head contact is fully unavoidable here if you hit right.

(iii) He did not change the position of body or head, even going closer to the boards right before, thus no matter what the hit would basically be the same.

So, yeah. It’s a

Amazing anyone thinks this should be in our game. Did Barron pull up to try to dodge the train? Yes. Did Troube still make contact directly with his head? Yes.

Basketball started today. You should go watch that

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004

So, yeah. Its a purposely dirty hit. Unfortunately
How exactly was Trouba supposed to avoid head contact when Barron's head was so low?

Reactions: nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

So, yeah. Its a purposely dirty hit. Unfortunately.
Bro did you even watch the clip Inposted? Hahaha

1. Did the player try to hit directly through the body? Yes

If you think otherwise, you are legitimately blind. Literally at no point is whether the head was hit first mentioned or relevant. Not once.

2. Did the opponent put himself in a dangerous position ? Yes

Again, if you think otherwise you are completely blind. He literally changed directions last second and put his head directly down into the path of Trouba

3. Did the player change direction immediately prior? Once again… yes

This is the definition of seeing what you want to see and realllyyyy reaching.

You will be rightly criticized for one of the worst interpretations of the rule that I’ve ever seen.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Then remove hitting from hockey?

Do you seen how Trouba body is going directly though his body? You realize they literally put in the rule book that this is allowed, yeah?

I’ll ask you too… if I am skating directly at you with my head down, how are you going to avoid hitting my head?

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Why did you leave out all the points below that? Hurts your argument right?
So I put the rest prior to your "argument".
Basketball started today. You should go watch that
And then you got nothing on it as I argued for my view and you can't defend against it so you derail.
Go watch Slap Fighting if you want poor angled boneheaded hitting.

How exactly was Trouba supposed to avoid head contact when Barron's head was so low?
Which is not a defendable argument at any time.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
So I put the rest prior to your "argument".

And then you got nothing on it as I argued for my view and you can't defend against it so you derail.
Go watch Slap Fighting if you want poor angled hitting.

Which is not a defendable argument at any time.
You are the one saying head contact was avoidable so please explain how he was supposed to not make head contact with Barron's head being so low and hitting through the body. The league has said multiple times that hits such as this are legal per the rule you quoted

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Wow everyone! Do you hear that!? Apparently the amount of posts you make determines your knowledge of hockey!
Or...and here me out...maybe it just means it's not a great idea to sashay into a community of obvious hockey fans and proclaim that they should no longer watch the sport which, again, they are obviously fans of because they have a different opionion from yours.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Bro did you even watch the clip Inposted? Hahaha

1. Did the player try to hit directly through the body? Yes

If you think otherwise, you are legitimately blind. Literally at no point is whether the head was hit first mentioned or relevant. Not once.

2. Did the opponent put himself in a dangerous position ? Yes

Again, if you think otherwise you are completely blind. He literally changed directions last second and put his head directly down into the path of Trouba

3. Did the player change direction immediately prior? Once again… yes

This is the definition of seeing what you want to see and realllyyyy reaching.

You will be rightly criticized for one of the worst interpretations of the rule that I’ve ever seen.
Did you watch it at all? Its at post 122 so you can go see.

1. No he didn't. As then he wouldn't have hit the head first. Trouba is such a great hitter right so shouldn't be a problem then should it?

2. Its a yes and no. All players are in dangerous positions offensively. He didn't change direction, the video is there to prove it. He goes in the same direction. Frankly even skating closer to the board. Now he might have wanted to intend to do it but he didn't.

3. Once again no, referring to 2.

You are the one arguing he changed direction and the video show he didn't.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
All chest, no head...lol right

Its awesome to watch, but this is not needed in our game today.

And yes, a lot of the onus os on Barron for thinking he can just dump a pass, watch it, and cruise back to his blueline on Trouba's wing.

Attachments

• B 4.png
    B 4.png
    203 KB · Views: 1
  • B.png
    B.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 1
  • B 1.png
    B 1.png
    52 KB · Views: 1
  • B 2.png
    B 2.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 1
  • B 3.png
    B 3.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 1

lardneau

Oct 7, 2011
The head is principal point of contact, but, to me, looks unavoidable due to Barron putting himself in a bad (awful) position. A clean hard play as per NHL rulebook, the back ref has a good look on it too
Its is actually.

You left out the pertinent section that reads

“In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:

(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.”

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
You are the one saying head contact was avoidable so please explain how he was supposed to not make head contact with Barron's head being so low and hitting through the body.
Make a correct hit and not hit the head first. If not, don't make the hit. There isn't an argument that it can't be made as we have endless amounts of clean hits. Apparently players are able to do it. IF Trouba can't do it, then don't make the hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad