Rumor: Trouba could be the odd man out in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He was horrible in the playoffs, not sure what you watched.
He was pretty decent in the playoff. He made a few mistakes but so does everyone else. The only difference is for some reason, his were constantly targeted and picked apart on national television. Overall, I thought he was pretty reliable during the playoff.
i mean, 3 of those 5 statements are correct. It's not the first 2 though
Sure.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Is it really an odd-man out when they already got rid of Goodrow and want to change a lot this season for cap space.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The guy played with a hurt ankle for a chunk of the season, including the playoffs. Trouba isn’t half as bad as advertised here. The dude is mostly given d-zone deployments as a shutdown guy. Of course his numbers aren’t going to look great.

I’d gladly take him on Detroit, no retention needed if we can get away from Holl and Copp.
Rangers have to replace Holl with somebody else. So it's basically like paying Trouba for 2 years while having Holl and some other meh performer, since we won't be able to spend 6 million on a defender in this scenario. I don't see the point.

Copp makes too much for the role he would have with us. Trouba being moved would be to improve the team with the cap space, not just remove Trouba and settle for slightly more space and a player we don't need.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Rangers have to replace Holl with somebody else. So it's basically like paying Trouba for 2 years while having Holl and some other meh performer, since we won't be able to spend 6 million on a defender in this scenario. I don't see the point.

Copp makes too much for the role he would have with us.

I’m not talking about Holl for Trouba. I’m talking Detroit waives Holl and Copp, they f*** off to San Jose, Chicago or Utah. Then NYR trading Trouba for future considerations.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I’m not talking about Holl for Trouba. I’m talking Detroit waives Holl and Copp, they f*** off to San Jose, Chicago or Utah. Then NYR trading Trouba for future considerations.
Gotcha. I don't know. Copp at almost 6 million is a lot for 3 years. I still don't know how Holl got that contract with nothing to show for it. I understand bad contracts given out that often end up in regret, but those players usually did something to justify a team wanting to hand that out for 3 years or so years.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I don't think the Rangers move him. Yes, he didn't have the best playoff performance, but he fractured his ankle earlier in the season, and came back to play through it. Unfortunately from a fans perspective you are only as good as your last game/last series.

He became the clear cut leader of the team that had a lot of vets but lacked leadership. He brought them together and they had a tremendous season winning the presidents trophy. Not too mention. This guy eats pucks. Was leading the league in blocked shots before the injury. Over a full season he would have finished 2nd. He also crushes people and is among the leagues most physical blueliners.

For the Rangers, Drury is all over building this model of a physical team, that is tough to play against. He moved out Goodrow because of a bad contract only. Now if he's moving out the teams most physical Dman, and a guy that plays the right side. How is he replacing that in Free Agency, or via trade?

Team would lose its Captain, best shot blocker, most physical defenseman. There's one player in the current top 6 that is difficult to play against. That's Trocheck. Lafreniere also plays physical, but not in the same sense as Trocheck. Kreider used to play a more physical game. I don't think you can label him that anymore. On D, Schneider is a watered down version on the physical side, but is progressing to be a better two way Dman. Miller, at 6'5 and among the strongest players in the league. He doesn't have a mean streak.

Lose #8, and the team becomes much easier to play against, and far less physical.

Reactions: Waivers

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If he is the odd man out, have to imagine he signs with the Devils/Islanders/Buffalo so he's still close to his wife ?

Hes not very good, but I have to imagine the Devils would prefer him to be on their team trying to kill other people ?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think at the end of the day he ends up on the Rangers roster next season. He is still an NHL dman, hes just overpaid by about 5-6m.

Classic Rangers though, naming a captain for the first time since McDonogh and 1 year later the dude turns into an absolute slug.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
amazing what simply “playing on a media darling” does for a player. if his face wasn’t plastered over ESPN any time the subject of hockey arose, there’s no chance this thread would be filled with “oh i’ll totally take him for my 2nd pairing since he’s cheap to acquire”

he’s an objectively horrible defender and if there’s a God in heaven the rangers will need to slap a few 2nd round picks to his name to avoid paying him EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS to be a meme.

If he is the odd man out, have to imagine he signs with the Devils/Islanders/Buffalo so he's still close to his wife ?

Hes not very good, but I have to imagine the Devils would prefer him to be on their team trying to kill other people ?
we already have Kurtis Macdermid, who hasn’t played defense in 3 years but probably grades out as a better defender than trouba.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Put him on waivers and the Sharks should take him for free

As much as he's declined he'd still be our best D right now and help us progress from our historically terrible season last year

He has a lot of playoff experience that would be valuable to help teach our lottery picks joining the roster this season

Adding his whole cap hit barely drags us above the salary floor and with only 2 years left on his deal it doesn't ruin our long term plans

It would also make the Goodrow claim make more sense in retrospect, to the degree that I kinda think this is what's going to happen, little wink-wink nudge-nudge going on between 2 old buddies in the GM chairs

Reactions: Dijock94

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Put him on waivers and the Sharks should take him for free

As much as he's declined he'd still be our best D right now and help us progress from our historically terrible season last year

He has a lot of playoff experience that would be valuable to help teach our lottery picks joining the roster this season

Adding his whole cap hit barely drags us above the salary floor and with only 2 years left on his deal it doesn't ruin our long term plans

It would also make the Goodrow claim make more sense in retrospect, to the degree that I kinda think this is what's going to happen, little wink-wink nudge-nudge going on between 2 old buddies in the GM chairs
No worries. Detroit will send SJ a 1st in a 3-way trade as well. We don't need anything in return.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He became the clear cut leader of the team that had a lot of vets but lacked leadership. He brought them together and they had a tremendous season winning the presidents trophy. Not too mention. This guy eats pucks. Was leading the league in blocked shots before the injury. Over a full season he would have finished 2nd. He also crushes people and is among the leagues most physical blueliners.
The problem is he gets caved in and just doesn't have the foot speed/mobility to do anything else. It's easier to block shots when you spend the entire time in your zone.

If they aren't winning the cup with Trouba in the line-up then what difference does it make? Did Trouba do anything this season that screams "we can't replace this"? I really don't think he did. There was no tremendous season for Trouba, and if he loses more mobility, it's going to get worse. Bone-crushing hits are nice, but you know what, that's not needed. You can be tough to play against when it comes to board battles, gap control, and puck separation hits without needing the occasional bone-crushing hits.

Also, these big hits from Trouba haven't stopped players from attacking him one on one with skill because most of the times he misses and ends up out of position. I don't see the fear playing against Trouba to justify the hype on the hits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad