Rumor: Trouba could be the odd man out in NY

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not saying they won’t move him but this is a standard housekeeping thing.
Well, his nmc is in effect til June 30. But if nYR can find a deal for him at the draft they need the list to ensure that the transaction gets done.

Really no difference to Trouba to get moved on June 28 or July 1.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If Trouba was getting paid fairly what would he be making?

He was always pretty good, young and cheap in Winnipeg so I always struggle picturing him as this big liability.

He is such a headhunter now too he rarely did that for us :laugh:
$3.5 million?

He was overpaid when he signed the deal, but was leagues better than he is right now. I don't think it is a purely physical decline either. At times it feels like he forgot how to play hockey.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
The problem is he gets caved in and just doesn't have the foot speed/mobility to do anything else. It's easier to block shots when you spend the entire time in your zone.

If they aren't winning the cup with Trouba in the line-up then what difference does it make? Did Trouba do anything this season that screams "we can't replace this"? I really don't think he did. There was no tremendous season for Trouba, and if he loses more mobility, it's going to get worse. Bone-crushing hits are nice, but you know what, that's not needed. You can be tough to play against when it comes to board battles, gap control, and puck separation hits without needing the occasional bone-crushing hits.

Also, these big hits from Trouba haven't stopped players from attacking him one on one with skill because most of the times he misses and ends up out of position. I don't see the fear playing against Trouba to justify the hype on the hits.

I think you are grossly underrating the player. I think he is the guy that brought that room together. Clubs don't toss a C on your chest w/out reason. They didn't win a cup. They made it to the ECF 2X's. He's been a big part of it. For the now he becomes the scapegoat. Seen this story a hundred times already.

For the rest of the Rangers defense. Whos winning the board battles? Who's seperating the player from the puck? K'Andre has a good stick off the rush yet he may be among the most inconsistent defenseman the club ever had. Fox is a Norris caliber guy, but lets face it. He couldn't even skate into the corner to win the board battle. Lindren is a warrior, plays through injuries. Eats pucks. But his game has taken a toll on his body, and he likely isn't a top pairing dman anymore.

So, toss Trouba out, and how are they replacing him?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Many non Ranger fans in here actually saying that they think Trouba is pretty good. That gives me hope something not super painful might actually get done.

I’ll refrain from discussing the depths of the horror show he committed on the ice this past playoff on the off chance the acquiring GM browses this site.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think you are grossly underrating the player. I think he is the guy that brought that room together. Clubs don't toss a C on your chest w/out reason. They didn't win a cup. They made it to the ECF 2X's. He's been a big part of it. For the now he becomes the scapegoat. Seen this story a hundred times already.

For the rest of the Rangers defense. Whos winning the board battles? Who's seperating the player from the puck? K'Andre has a good stick off the rush yet he may be among the most inconsistent defenseman the club ever had. Fox is a Norris caliber guy, but lets face it. He couldn't even skate into the corner to win the board battle. Lindren is a warrior, plays through injuries. Eats pucks. But his game has taken a toll on his body, and he likely isn't a top pairing dman anymore.

So, toss Trouba out, and how are they replacing him?
This argument here seems like "The rest of the defense is bad, so they should keep Trouba." Right now Miller doesn't carry that cap hit. The only one that does is Fox. If you want to get into a discussion about the defense, we can take that elsewhere, because I'm not suggesting that Lindgren was any better. What I am suggesting is the positives you're bringing up on Trouba isn't enough to justify the cap hit of a guy losing mobility and needing to be put on the 3rd pair, just to not look as out of place.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
$3.5 million?

He was overpaid when he signed the deal, but was leagues better than he is right now. I don't think it is a purely physical decline either. At times it feels like he forgot how to play hockey.
His role changed. When he signed that he was top pair and PP1. Once we got Fox his role completely switched into a full shutdown defenseman

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
I'd much rather take Trouba for two years as a stop-gap solution than commit myself to a Brady Skjei or a Brett Pesce for 6-7 years.

Yeah and that's why Trouba has some value to teams. He's also an RD, the hardest position to fill and makes $6M/yr in real money, which matters to poorer teams that aren't up against the cap. And at the 2026 TDL, he'll have real value as a rental.

You pay him $9-10M for 1.5 regular seasons, then dump him for picks and prospects. Alternatively, you use him for 2 seasons when your Cup window is wide open, and you're not stuck with a contract of an aging player for years beyond your window.

I'm not suggesting he has tons of value, but I don't think the Rangers need to add in order to get someone to pick him up.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
This argument here seems like "The rest of the defense is bad, so they should keep Trouba." Right now Miller doesn't carry that cap hit. The only one that does is Fox. If you want to get into a discussion about the defense, we can take that elsewhere, because I'm not suggesting that Lindgren was any better. What I am suggesting is the positives you're bringing up on Trouba isn't enough to justify the cap hit of a guy losing mobility and needing to be put on the 3rd pair, just to not look as out of place.

The only piece i agree with it is that he is overpaid. But, that isn't a major factor right now. Goodrow is out. Team has money to play with.

My argument, or arguments are.
1) Who replaces the physicality he brings?
2) Who replaces the leader ship he brings?
3) Who is going to eat the pucks that he was doing for the team since he's been here?

Organization publicly states that they want and I quote...A fast, physical team that can play a relentless style of hockey"

If they move Trouba, they are moving the most physical defenseman the team has employed since Jeff Beukeboom. So for a team that wants that label, who are they bringing in if they jettison him?

Leadership- Who is picking up the leadership role? Zibanejad? He went Vegan, grew his hair out like Gandalf, and is more concerned withy his popularity in Sweden as a performer on a concert stage. Kreider is an introvert. Love the guy. Just not a leader. Panarin is a regular season dynamo. He is a playoff dud.

I don't think the issue or issues the Rangers have getting over the hump are scapegoated on an inflated salary of one player. I think the Core group of forwards lacks that guy that can elevate them when the games matter most...The Playoffs.

Reactions: MagicMann13

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Can't see Troubitch being anywhere else than NYR si ce he's fitting so well with all those dirty ass players in that "team"
B2S26XIIYAAS_Af.jpg

Reactions: UnSandvich

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
3 way deal
Trouba to Detroit @ 1 million retained
Justin Holl waived and claimed by SJ
NYR send a sweetner pick to SJ for helping them eat cap space

Rangers get out of his contract for almost nothing
Detroit gets 2nd pair RHD for 3.5 million x 2 years with Edvinsson
SJ got Walman, a 2nd and another pick to take Holls contract

Reactions: lilidk

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The only piece i agree with it is that he is overpaid. But, that isn't a major factor right now. Goodrow is out. Team has money to play with.

My argument, or arguments are.
3) Who is going to eat the pucks that he was doing for the team since he's been here?

Organization publicly states that they want and I quote...A fast, physical team that can play a relentless style of hockey"

If they move Trouba, they are moving the most physical defenseman the team has employed since Jeff Beukeboom. So for a team that wants that label, who are they bringing in if they jettison him?

Leadership- Who is picking up the leadership role? Zibanejad? He went Vegan, grew his hair out like Gandalf, and is more concerned withy his popularity in Sweden as a performer on a concert stage. Kreider is an introvert. Love the guy. Just not a leader. Panarin is a regular season dynamo. He is a playoff dud.

I don't think the issue or issues the Rangers have getting over the hump are scapegoated on an inflated salary of one player. I think the Core group of forwards lacks that guy that can elevate them when the games matter most...The Playoffs.
Schneider hits per 60 were less than a half hit difference. Maybe he gets a bigger role? We're not seeing nearly as many big hits from Trouba these days. Most of the big hits are missing. I think you can find physically for less than what Trouba is making. Trouba isn't fast, nor relentless, but he can throw a big hit here and there if he catches you. We're talking about a player making 8 against the cap. There's needs to be more than "Don't let Trouba catch you not looking."

This is a fair question because we don't truly know the leadership he brings. We hear rumors that he's a great leader and great in the community. We hear rumors that Kreider didn't want the C. In my opinion, this team is either going to buy in or it's not. If they can't buy in without Trouba's leadership, we have a much bigger problem. I'd like to think the coaching change made will bring the players together taking more responsibility than the previous coach and we don't need a helmet throwing incident to get the team to wake up.

Nobody on Florida or Edmonton had a dman blocking more shots or hit more /60 during the season. (using at least 25 games) The closet was Nurse. Maybe the key is not to spend all the time scrambling in your own zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad