Rumor: Trotz says he done?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Even if you fire him, the core is still bad and not cup worthy. Without an adjustment this team is going nowhere. I don't truly believe that the core of Backstrom, Holtby, Oveckin, Carlson and Kuzy are good enough to win. I'd say trade Backstrom for a high impact winger. Coach is not the true issue here, sorry for destroying your hopes.

Reading this post and i cant help but ask "would you like to revise your position?

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Reading this post and i cant help but ask "would you like to revise your position?

Look when we were down 0-2 to CBJ, everyone thought the worst (and you probably did too), don't bring up old posts just to gloat. It's petty and unnecessary.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Tables have really turned.

I was never really on the ’Fire Trotz’ train but was also looking forward having new face for next year. Thought he has done good job but isnt getting past the hump.

He did. Team is firing on every cylinder. Even if we lose this series, or the next, we can take so much positive from this run into next season. System is working perfectly, young guns are fitting to their places and Trotz is adjusting the hell out it.

But if/when Trotz goes, its another jump to unknown. We might lose the swing and it most of the times takes a year or two to find yourself under new coach. Dont like the idea of missing out any more years of this core on adjusting into new coach..

Reactions: third man in

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I don’t know what to say, it’s like a completely new system. Aside from the defensive neutral zone play I’m amazed at our breakouts. In the offensive zone we are skating and moving the puck briskly and with purpose. Where is has this been? Is it an issue of simply feeling it or did Trotz change his emphasis (or finally get through to the team).

If Trotz has learned something, heck yeah sign him again please.

Reactions: calicapsfan

SingleMalt

Feb 9, 2010
Maybe Trotz has told the team that this is his last season in the NHL? And being a well liked coach, the team is really giving their everything for Trotz's last chance for the cup. It may be a small detail but something that really unites them after finally beating the Pens...

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Maybe Trotz has told the team that this is his last season in the NHL? And being a well liked coach, the team is really giving their everything for Trotz's last chance for the cup. It may be a small detail but something that really unites them after finally beating the Pens...

I think it’s a combo of that and I personally believe Reirden is having more of a pull to transition him into head coach

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
I get what you’re saying, but doesn’t that seem like a really odd thing to say in a handshake line? I mean there would be much better times to tell torts, than when the cameras might catch you. It’s not like Trotz couldn’t get his cell or something.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I get what you’re saying, but doesn’t that seem like a really odd thing to say in a handshake line? I mean there would be much better times to tell torts, than when the cameras might catch you. It’s not like Trotz couldn’t get his cell or something.

Its been my view that Trotz had decided to retire. That would explain that comment if that comment is accurate and in context. I am simply saying that unless the Caps manage to choke this series away, that Trotz can return if he wants to. Leonsis wouldn't fire or move him on after this.

Again, Ovechkin appears to love Trotz. This Ov is the best Ov ever and Trotz gets the credit for that. Ov's leadership has grown. Trotz and Orpik get the credit for that.

No way that Leonsis chooses Reirden over Trotz.

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
Its been my view that Trotz had decided to retire. That would explain that comment if that comment is accurate and in context. I am simply saying that unless the Caps manage to choke this series away, that Trotz can return if he wants to. Leonsis wouldn't fire or move him on after this.

Again, Ovechkin appears to love Trotz. This Ov is the best Ov ever and Trotz gets the credit for that. Ov's leadership has grown. Trotz and Orpik get the credit for that.

That was meant for OP

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don’t know what to say, it’s like a completely new system. Aside from the defensive neutral zone play I’m amazed at our breakouts. In the offensive zone we are skating and moving the puck briskly and with purpose. Where is has this been? Is it an issue of simply feeling it or did Trotz change his emphasis (or finally get through to the team).

If Trotz has learned something, heck yeah sign him again please.

They are playing at a very high level in general. We have seen them do this before for a few weeks at a time. That's why I've scoffed at the complaints about talent or the desire to get that one key, star player at the TDL. It's clearly always a matter of motivation, belief, focus, and organization for this squad. I'm not sure anything is different scheme-wise. Unless someone can chip in on that point. The only thing I notice is a lot of touch passes and tips to streaking players, especially for transition.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The neutral zone set-up is new, no? It's seems like it's been arguably THE reason why they've managed to neutralize opposition speed, which has been their single biggest weakness the past couple seasons. Their breakouts have also been more aware, at least when keeping it simple up the boards and not just getting crashed down on.

Reactions: Hivemind

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Isabelle Khurshudyan was interviewed within the last hour on XM/Sirius NHL program and she was asked if she thinks Trotz will be back behind the bench next season and she stated yes, she believes he'll re-sign.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The neutral zone set-up is new, no? It's seems like it's been arguably THE reason why they've managed to neutralize opposition speed, which has been their single biggest weakness the past couple seasons. Their breakouts have also been more aware, at least when keeping it simple up the boards and not just getting crashed down on.

I think what is new, is that Barry is adjusting (maybe even within periods) the defensive setup. 1-2-2, 1-1-3, and we have even seen the 1-4. My question is, what did we do for a majority of the regular season? 2-1-2 or, ?

I have noticed our breakout / forwards using the boards not for just clears, but as a pass. Led by Willy. That is an easy and safe way to exploit our speed / slow D.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

McVechkin

Sponsor
Jun 29, 2015
Isabelle Khurshudyan was interviewed within the last hour on XM/Sirius NHL program and she was asked if she thinks Trotz will be back behind the bench next season and she stated yes, she believes he'll re-sign.

I used to not like her. But she is good and usually is dead on when it comes to these things.

smd333

May 2, 2012
This is hilarious ...bad lip reading becomes news. Seriously, you think after eliminating the Blue Jackets he would discuss his future in passing with Tortorella? what a joke

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Look when we were down 0-2 to CBJ, everyone thought the worst (and you probably did too), don't bring up old posts just to gloat. It's petty and unnecessary.

everyone? I think the usual meltdown was going on but winning game 3 is important in every series. Caps need to win game 3 this time too.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think what is new, is that Barry is adjusting (maybe even within periods) the defensive setup. 1-2-2, 1-1-3, and we have even seen the 1-4. My question is, what did we do for a majority of the regular season? 2-1-2 or, ?

I have noticed our breakout / forwards using the boards not for just clears, but as a pass. Led by Willy. That is an easy and safe way to exploit our speed / slow D.

They used either the 2-1-2 or the 1-2-2 for most of the regular season. The 2-1-2 and a trap scheme are typically used somewhat interchangeably, depending on the specific rush and the game state. Almost no team (save perhaps the Tortarella-era Rangers) use the 2-1-2 exclusively, but rather, they commit to a 2-1-2 when there's a legitimate chance to force a turnover (or when the score dictates that they need to take risks in order to create turnovers). When the other team has a clean possession in their defensive zone, most teams will use a less aggressive forecheck (trap), such as a left wing lock, 1-2-2, or 1-1-3.

Even if you go back and rewatch the Guy Boucher Lightning, who were famous for their zero pressure 1-1-3 variant (effectively a 0-1-1-3) , they would read the play and decide when they could go with a 2-1-2 instead of the 1-1-3. In my estimation, it was the Lightning's 2-1-2 attack (or minimally the alternation between the 2-1-2 and the 1-1-3) that gave the Capitals so much trouble in the 2011 playoffs, not the 1-1-3 alone. Boudreau couldn't create a breakout scheme that could react appropriate to both style's of Boucher's attack.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
They used either the 2-1-2 or the 1-2-2 for most of the regular season. The 2-1-2 and a trap scheme are typically used somewhat interchangeably, depending on the specific rush and the game state. Almost no team (save perhaps the Tortarella-era Rangers) use the 2-1-2 exclusively, but rather, they commit to a 2-1-2 when there's a legitimate chance to force a turnover (or when the score dictates that they need to take risks in order to create turnovers). When the other team has a clean possession in their defensive zone, most teams will use a less aggressive forecheck (trap), such as a left wing lock, 1-2-2, or 1-1-3.

Even if you go back and rewatch the Guy Boucher Lightning, who were famous for their zero pressure 1-1-3 variant (effectively a 0-1-1-3) , they would read the play and decide when they could go with a 2-1-2 instead of the 1-1-3. In my estimation, it was the Lightning's 2-1-2 attack (or minimally the alternation between the 2-1-2 and the 1-1-3) that gave the Capitals so much trouble in the 2011 playoffs, not the 1-1-3 alone. Boudreau couldn't create a breakout scheme that could react appropriate to both style's of Boucher's attack.

Nominating for POTD... thanks. The Boucher Lightning, I used to call that the 0-0-6.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Did feel pitt would take it again however i did have a small feeling that this might be Wash year .The thing with Wash and this regard i understand his post is they always seem to fall short.The difference this year though is that the pressure wasnt as high as past years. Thats where often teams surprise

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I hope Barry Trotz wins the Cup this season and retires. He then heads back to Nashville to continue the charity work he started there many years ago and maybe gets a front office position with the Preds.

He is a great coach who has done something many older coaches, like Hitchcock, have refused to do, he has changed his thinking, evolved as it were. Some of it necessity but most of it not.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

2 points of order:

1. Barry has used the 1-1-3 or basically a left-wing lock (with a right winger instead) his entire time in Washington. He used a traditional left-wing lock in Nashville. The difference that I am seeing is that they have been more aggressive at their own blue line. The center has been back a lot of the time this playoffs instead of a winger as well.

2. Boucher used a 1-3-1 neutral zone forecheck not a 1-1-3.

Reactions: g00n

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I can see why you’d say that, considering you’ve been calling for heads most of the season.

Telling people they were wrong is no more “petty and unnecessary” than the constant whining this board dealt with up until a week or so ago. Or maybe whining is “important and necessary”?

Reactions: beachrats

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Its entirely possible and probably most likely that, Trotz not resigning yet was not the Caps not offering, but Trotz not wanting, a new contract, so I basically agree with you here. Maybe Trotz had decided to retire at some point over the past year but he would fill out his contract, the Caps knew this so they didn't make any public statements about wanting to resign him or "waiting to see". Its also still entirely possible and even likely that even if he wins the Cup he won't change his mind, because retiring from 30/40/50 years in hockey isn't something one does on whim, or out of frustration or bitterness. Maybe he feels this is the right time for him to retire. Maybe that lack of pressure has freed his mind to see the game differently and his adjustments reflect that. Maybe he's told the team this and they are stepping up. Who the eff knows whats going on in all their heads?

But if he in fact told Torts that he was gone, it was likely him knowing he was retiring, rather than him knowing the Caps didn't want him anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad