Proposal: Tristan Jarry, Jeff Carter, plus what for John Gibson?

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Jarry: 5 x 5.375
Carter: 1 x 3.125
Gibson: 4 x 6.4

The Penguins would save a much needed $2.1M on the cap this year, while getting an upgrade (albeit minor) in net.

The ducks have plenty of space this season. They take on $2.1M extra this year, but actually save $1.025M going forward swapping Gibson for Jarry once Carter is off the books. Jarry is younger as well, so he can be around for the rebuild.

So the question is what do the Pens have to add here? I really don’t think the gap between Jarry and Gibson is all that big (I know that has been debated on this platform), but we would have to pay Anaheim to take Carter. Does adding Pickering cover the difference? If not what does? Yager would be off the table. Not that he’s necessarily untouchable but he’s simply too valuable to be the difference in this particular deal.

For argument sake let’s say Carter waives. He’s no stranger to Southern California I think if there’s a team he waives for ANA would be on the list. And honestly I think he knows Pitt doesn’t want him anymore. And yes I know we just re-signed Jarry but Dubas clearly wants to win and if he feels he can upgrade at goalie I believe he will.

Let’s discuss

• Haha
Reactions: HabsQC and MMC

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Don't want Jarry, don't want Carter.
Don't want to trade Gibson, he's our starter.
HFB says he has no value, so why bother?
Let the pissing contest begin, sad violin.
Wondering if there is truth to the rumors earlier in the summer that Gibson wanted out. Would think he’d be interested in competing in the playoffs.

Obviously you don’t want Carter, no one does, but with 1 year left on his contract why not benefit from the added sweetener?

If the Penguins want to downgrade in net like that, they could have just signed Martin Jones.
I would disagree. While I don’t see a huge gap I think Gibson is the better goalie. Plus we get rid of Carter in the deal.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Wondering if there is truth to the rumors earlier in the summer that Gibson wanted out. Would think he’d be interested in competing in the playoffs.

Obviously you don’t want Carter, no one does, but with 1 year left on his contract why not benefit from the added sweetener?

I would disagree. While I don’t see a huge gap I think Gibson is the better goalie. Plus we get rid of Carter in the deal.
Where is the sweetener you mentioned?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Gibson is the most sure bet there, but I want the penguins to miss playoff and the sharks to get a higher pick from the karlsson trade…. So no thanks to trading gibson to them
Not since '18-'19.

'19-'20 to Present
Gibson - GAA: 3.32, SV%: .902
Jarry - GAA: 2.62, SV%: .915

Jarry's also younger. If it's between he and Gibson, I'll run with Jarry. If he doesn't get the job done, there's always the deadline.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Doubt they downgrade in goaltending just to get rid of Carter's contract. Gibson has barely been an NHL caliber goalie for the past 4 years and would get a near minimum salary contract at this point if he was UFA. Ducks will have to pay a LOT to dump him anywhere.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Where is the sweetener you mentioned?
Pickering. But the also the purpose of the thread was to discuss what Anaheim would want as an add on

Not since '18-'19.

'19-'20 to Present

Jarry's also younger. If it's between he and Gibson, I'll run with Jarry. If he doesn't get the job done, there's always the deadline.
Gibson is not an upgrade on Jarry for us anyways. We need to stop with this fantasy just because he was born in Pittsburgh
Thing about this is Pittsburgh has been a substantially better team than Anaheim for nearly a decade. Gibson’s numbers are bound to look worse. I think he is more talented and would win more games in Pittsburgh than Jarry would.

Again I agree the gap is small, but an upgrade nonetheless plus dumping Carter is an attractive idea to me.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Pickering. But the also the purpose of the thread was to discuss what Anaheim would want as an add on

Thing about this is Pittsburgh has been a substantially better team than Anaheim for nearly a decade. Gibson’s numbers are bound to look worse. I think he is more talented and would win more games in Pittsburgh than Jarry would.

Again I agree the gap is small, but an upgrade nonetheless plus dumping Carter is an attractive idea to me.

Gibson hasn't outplayed his backups in any of his past 4 seasons.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Adding Pickering just to be able to get rid of Carter's final season of contract makes 0 sense. I'd rather he stays a healthy scratch than to lose a 1st round pick 19 year old who has been developping quite nice since last year.

Reactions: Ogelthorpe

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Wasn't Jarry just a UFA?

When's the last time (or first) a team signed an unrestricted free agent to a 5+ year deal (or any deal) and traded them a month or two later?

Reactions: Bleedred

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Adding Pickering just to be able to get rid of Carter's final season of contract makes 0 sense. I'd rather he stays a healthy scratch than to lose a 1st round pick 19 year old who has been developping quite nice since last year.
Well I included him because I believe Gibson is an upgrade on Jarry, in which case an upgrade in net + dumping Carter is worth Pickering IMO. We don’t agree on Gibson, which is ok.

I would not add Pickering just to dump Carter to be clear, I agree that would be foolish.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Wasn't Jarry just a UFA?

When's the last time (or first) a team signed an unrestricted free agent to a 5+ year deal (or any deal) and traded them a month or two later?
Unlikely I admit. But if Dubas can upgrade his teams chances at winning a cup he won’t not trade Jarry just to save face. Pens have a small window remaining.

Maybe this isn’t the deal, as I seem to think Gibson is better than most other Pens fans do, but the point remains.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not since '18-'19.

'19-'20 to Present

And I’d still feel 100 times more comfortable with gibson in net here

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I know, but most of us are also annoyed by it. Jarry was extended by Dubas, pretty sure the Gibson rumors are dead now going forward
At this point gibson is prob better off staying here…. Realistically how many years do the penguins have left of being good…. A lot really depends on how long Crosby malkin and karlsson can stay at a top level of play(and how creative dubas can get with trades/free agents)…. They missed playoffs last year…. I don’t think they are a sure-in this year even with the karlsson deal.

Anaheim will be competitive next year, it does suck that we wasted a bunch of gibsons prime icing shitty teams and letting Eakins coach

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Not since '18-'19.

'19-'20 to Present

You need to understand Gibson is such a unicorn the stats can't be used for reference. Gibson is in such a unique situation all the stats, advanced and standard, are too biased to give you a real assessment.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad