Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Funny thing, i can drop a lot of HOF names that I've seen live. The first hazy memory i have is sitting on my fathers shoulders in a cup parade...in '56.

Mailman has no real offensive competition on the right side and Hutson is the "great white little hope" on the left. I'm not sure Hutson will be able to ply his wizardry without getting consistently plastered against the glass.

There is no guarantees as to how prospects turn out. Right now, from having watched him with amateur scout eyes, his minimum floor is top 6, his likely is top 4 and his ceiling is top 2. He has ALL the high end tools other then vision, which is more a function of missing a ton of development. Which he's getting now.

To be honest, he's better for you as a RHD and fits your offense better then Guhle....but you can't have him.

I think solberg kinda fills that potential void we woulda wanted to fill with guhle. Zellweger/lacombe have both played rhd for a portion of careers, and played there at nhl lvl also…. So idk that handiness is a big issue to us…. Zellweger might actually be more comfortable on right side

I don’t see the fit with mailloux in Anaheim…. As I think we’d want a more shutdown guy…. I think Reinbacher was the guy that always made most sense.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think solberg kinda fills that potential void we woulda wanted to fill with guhle. Zellweger/lacombe have both played rhd for a portion of careers, and played there at nhl lvl also…. So idk that handiness is a big issue to us…. Zellweger might actually be more comfortable on right side

I don’t see the fit with mailloux in Anaheim…. As I think we’d want a more shutdown guy…. I think Reinbacher was the guy that always made most sense.
We don't know what we have in Rein until he's faced NHL Neanderthals. I suspect in modern terms we got two McDonoughs in Rein and Guhle, with probably better offense from Guhle.

Like i said before, i rather keeps all 6 that we got now and see where they land up.

No different from you keeping Z and enjoying what could be eceptional offensive team.

Who knows, maybe one day we will meet in the finals as the new Ministry of Defense versus the Ministry of Offense.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’ll be interesting to see how much more he can produce on a better team/or improved roster.

Maybe I’m wrong(but I watched him through college/ahl/jrs) and think he’ll be at least ppg player in his prime…. Anything below that would leave me disappointed based on the type of talent he has
Does Zegras need to be a ppg player though if he’s playing sound defensively in all zones while adding being a pest? If he’s a ppg guy while adding those other two parts then he moves into a very special category of player.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We don't know what we have in Rein until he's faced NHL Neanderthals. I suspect in modern terms we got two McDonoughs in Rein and Guhle, with probably better offense from Guhle.

Like i said before, i rather keeps all 6 that we got now and see where they land up.

No different from you keeping Z and enjoying what could be eceptional offensive team.

Who knows, maybe one day we will meet in the finals as the new Ministry of Defense versus the Ministry of Offense.

We got some big boys on back end

Solberg hinds Warren helleson all with nhl upside

And guys like Mintyukov lacombe and luneau are surprisingly physical

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Ryan McDonagh was 7th in the league among dmen in even strength scoring at age 22, while being among the best defensive dman in hockey.

In Fact, McDonaghs offense even strength was virtually identical to a pair of habs dman. PK Subban and Shea Weber

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 1.46.46 PM.png

Guess who is who from 2011-2019.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I could see the Red Wings wanting him, he's young and fits the timeline of a lot of their younger/newly drafted players maturing.

Idk if it's an over or under pay but it's what I'd be willing to do. He's signed two more years and is still a RFA in three years.
Massive under pay, as in there isn't even a starting point in there. Detroit 1st will be around 20th overall (good asset, but not a guaranteed 2nd line player/top 3 D), Matta is at best a neutral asset but probably more of a cap dump to the Ducks (LHD where the Ducks already have 5 NHL LHD) and is nearly 30 years old. Berggen is older than Z and has less career points (34) than Zegras has had in 2 of his seasons (61 and 65). And goalie is the last position Ducks need... doubt Augustine is going to be a huge improvement over Dostal and Clara/Suchanek are in the system as a future backup. Goalies also have a lot less value than skaters.

A trade for Zegras is going to be one that actually helps the Ducks. Pretty much the two needs are offense and defensive RD. Anaheim doesn't get a RD and massively downgrades the offense in that proposal.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

I have now seen you throw out these comps for habs dman prospects:

Mailloux: Chris Chellios
Mailloux-Xhekaj: Weber-Chiarot
Reinbacher: McDonagh
Guhle: McDonagh
Hutson: Quinn Hughes

Wild expectations.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Massive under pay, as in there isn't even a starting point in there. Detroit 1st will be around 20th overall (good asset, but not a guaranteed 2nd line player/top 3 D), Matta is at best a neutral asset but probably more of a cap dump to the Ducks (LHD where the Ducks already have 5 NHL LHD) and is nearly 30 years old. Berggen is older than Z and has less career points (34) than Zegras has had in 2 of his seasons (61 and 65). And goalie is the last position Ducks need... doubt Augustine is going to be a huge improvement over Dostal and Clara/Suchanek are in the system as a future backup. Goalies also have a lot less value than skaters.

A trade for Zegras is going to be one that actually helps the Ducks. Pretty much the two needs are offense and defensive RD. Anaheim doesn't get a RD and massively downgrades the offense in that proposal.
I'd say it's a lock then that the Ducks will pretty much just be keeping him. No one's going to pay up for Zegras just because, but if Anaheim is looking to unload, they'll be callers/buyers.

Good luck to the Ducks and their fans either way. One of my top five favorite teams before the Jersey change and solid D.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Is Zergas just Sprong with more ice-time?ww

I'd say it's a lock you're pretty much just keeping him. No one's going to pay up for Zegras just because, but if Anaheim is looking to unload, they'll be callers/buyers.

Good luck to the Ducks and their fans either way. One of my top five favorite teams before the Jersey change and solid D.
Everything that’s been said is other teams called, and Anaheim wasn’t actively shopping him.

And I think plenty teams are going to want to kick tires on a center with 2 60+ point seasons under the age of 23.

Kakko.

The trade is 1 for 1.
That would be brutal lol

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'd say it's a lock then that the Ducks will pretty much just be keeping him. No one's going to pay up for Zegras just because, but if Anaheim is looking to unload, they'll be callers/buyers.

Yeah, he's probably going to be a Duck. Anaheim shouldn't be giving him away just because. If there's a trade, it has to be for good value. He's not a cap dump, a cancer, or demanding a trade so it would have to be for something that actually helps the team.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
This is exactly how internet works now. Some random fan website, with no credibility at all, posts a "rumor" -> some people, especially here, regurgitate it even if THEY KNOW it's just a fansite rumor to talk shit.

Time passes on -> fansite non-sense bullshit is now considered fact by fans.

That’s why I’m always confused as to why these ‘rumor websites’ are allowed to be discussed on here. This thread should be locked

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
We got some big boys on back end

Solberg hinds Warren helleson all with nhl upside

Helleson is at the point where he has to earn a role this year or he'll be moving on to his next team, because he's about to be buried behind a slew of quality D prospects in Anaheim very soon.

That’s why I’m always confused as to why these ‘rumor websites’ are allowed to be discussed on here. This thread should be locked

If people would just stop to think about it ... if that's all the Ducks wanted for Zegras, surely some other team would have ponied up something in the same ballpark?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I don,t want Zegras. He dont play defense. -24 -25 Martin wont let him play only PP just for goals. A good player scores and covers his defense game.
I don’t think his D is that bad. At least equal to Caufield’s in my honest opinion.

What worries me is I just don’t know whether he would have PP1 time 2 years from now. He’s certainly not taking Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf or Hutson spot on the PP and would likely be competing with Demidov and Dach for the last spot available.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don,t want Zegras. He dont play defense. -24 -25 Martin wont let him play only PP just for goals. A good player scores and covers his defense game.
Since you ignored my post, to post the same dumb comment you posted on Wednesday .
B849B0E4-5A72-476C-958A-6D9528399DA2.jpeg

Name that player! And no disrespect towards that player, just pointing out how dumb +\- looks when a player is on a bad team

But also zegras is never going to be know for defense.You also forgot to talk about his -1 this year in 31 games on a bad Anaheim team while being injured for a portion of those games …. Almost like it didn’t help your argument.

He took steps forward this year and showed he can play a more mature/structured game.

Again just a terrible post from you, and shows a lack of knowing who you are even talking about

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You could’ve said you don’t watch any ducks games
tell me when will Zegras learn to play some defense? -24, -25 or so. All these stats prove to me so far is that he only cares about his stats. how about the habs just pass of Zebras and look for a real hockey player. a two way player.

He’ll be back in a day to post same thing

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

You want two Nick Suzukis then? If one Nick Suzuki was enough, every Zegras thread wouldn’t turn into a Habs thread. Be honest about why you’re here. It’s upside. If you can add a potentially 90 or 100 pt C, are you seriously going to complain that he’s not Bergeron or Suzuki?

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

It could very well be the price is very high and the fact that the Ducks aren't really that motivated to trade him either. Guerin was trying to move Rossi and reportedly he wanted a young top player in return (of equal caliber) which seemed like they like the skill, maybe not the player and Rossi is still on the Wild. So it's not like these players aren't highly coveted, the price is likely just not worth it for a lot of teams and the negotiations might not be as active as we'd like to hear about at this dead stage of the free agency period.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It could very well be the price is very high and the fact that the Ducks aren't really that motivated to trade him either. Guerin was trying to move Rossi and reportedly he wanted a young top player in return (of equal caliber) which seemed like they like the skill, maybe not the player and Rossi is still on the Wild. So it's not like these players aren't highly coveted, the price is likely just not worth it for a lot of teams and the negotiations might not be as active as we'd like to hear about at this dead stage of the free agency period.

It’s a little bit silly to say the Ducks have no motivation to trade him. He’s been replaced internally at C. His greatest value to the Ducks is teams perceiving him as a C. The longer he plays wing for the Ducks, teams may start to perceive him as a W. This could continue to go south for Anaheim aside from injury. Agreed they shouldn’t trade him basing his value on last year. But waiting isn’t necessarily good either.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It’s a little bit silly to say the Ducks have no motivation to trade him. He’s been replaced internally at C. His greatest value to the Ducks is teams perceiving him as a C. The longer he plays wing for the Ducks, teams may start to perceive him as a W. This could continue to go south for Anaheim aside from injury. Agreed they shouldn’t trade him basing his value on last year. But waiting isn’t necessarily good either.
I think there is def little to no motivation unless a team is willing to overpay.

Every report has suggested Anaheim isn’t trying to trade him, just teams asking(likely because we have gauthier carlsson and mctavish as centers).

It’s PV job to build the best team he can…. If he can improve the team with a zegras move then maybe he considers…. But zegras has been our best player over the last 3 seasons, so I doubt we’re going to really give him away for Montreal scraps or any other teams scraps

Issue is teams see him potentially able to get and think that instantly means we’re selling low

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad