Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
tell me when will Zegras learn to play some defense? -24, -25 or so. All these stats prove to me so far is that he only cares about his stats. how about the habs just pass of Zebras and look for a real hockey player. a two way player.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You should see what some habs fans expectations for dach… and then wonder why they don’t think zegras can score more than 70 with better team around him
I don’t think anyone expect Zegras top plateau at 60 points except maybe the odd guy who just want to troll.

That being said, people forget how good Dach was closing out last year & training camp. Unfortunate he got injured. Also wouldn’t be surprised if be broke out with 70+ points next year. Here’s an highlight from his last 15 games from 2022-2023 at 21.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
tell me when will Zegras learn to play some defense? -24, -25 or so. All these stats prove to me so far is that he only cares about his stats. how about the habs just pass of Zebras and look for a real hockey player. a two way player.
E714B368-4811-427F-8D07-AD6CB84F8584.jpeg

Name that player! And no disrespect towards that player, just pointing out how dumb +\- looks when a player is on a bad team

But also zegras is never going to be know for defense.You also forgot to talk about his -1 this year in 31 games on a bad Anaheim team while being injured for a portion of those games …. Almost like it didn’t help your argument.

He took steps forward this year and showed he can play a more mature/structured game

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don’t think anyone expect Zegras top plateau at 60 points except maybe the odd guy who just want to troll.

That being said, people forget how good Dach was closing out last year & training camp. Unfortunate he got injured. Also wouldn’t be surprised if be broke out with 70+ points next year. Here’s an highlight from his last 15 games from 2022-2023 at 21.
I’m not saying dach won’t be solid, it’s just funny how some fans think zegras plateaued while dach can still improve significantly.

Zegras was very good when he came back from injury this year, it’s unfortunate that injuries kinda made this year a throwaway from him because I thought eye wise it was his best season on both sides of the ice.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I’m not saying dach won’t be solid, it’s just funny how some fans think zegras plateaued while dach can still improve significantly.

Zegras was very good when he came back from injury this year, it’s unfortunate that injuries kinda made this year a throwaway from him because I thought eye wise it was his best season on both sides of the ice.
Yeah I agree with that. Not sure who doesn’t though

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

That highlight package consisted of a grand total of 3 points with the opposing team having 5 players on the ice.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
One can also see Detroit and Carolina being interested in Zegras.

It seems likely people would want him for his perceived offensive upside and not his 200 ft game. So this talk of his 200 ft game seems a little strange. It seems that Anaheim looks at him and sees a donkey. He needs to find a team that sees him as a swan.

With Anaheim’s anticipated window being tied to the development of young D, his age might no longer align with that window. It might be somewhat analogous to Duchene with the Avs.

Reactions: Fatass

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
One can also see Detroit and Carolina being interested in Zegras.

It seems likely people would want him for his perceived offensive upside and not his 200 ft game. So this talk of his 200 ft game seems a little strange. It seems that Anaheim looks at him and sees a donkey. He needs to find a team that sees him as a swan.

With Anaheim’s anticipated window being tied to the development of young D, his age might no longer align with that window. It might be somewhat analogous to Duchene with the Avs.
I think it’s all rumors…. I think Anaheim wants to keep him around, and maybe if a team wants to overpay for him you’ll see a move but short of that why.

He’s a young kid and def had maturing to do as a face of franchise/nhl star…. But to me this interview showed how much he’s matured in his first couple seasons

For context this is after he got sat for a couple bad turn overs on a power play

I don’t think pv or Cronin dislike zegeas…. I just think they see a very high ceiling for him and want him to hit that…. But that involves him maturing on and off the ice and playing in all 3 zones.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Some fans would rather talk down a player than simply say “don’t see a fit anymore”
Yeah but that’s just bad faith and I usually mute/ignore those people.

That highlight package consisted of a grand total of 3 points with the opposing team having 5 players on the ice.
He had 10 points total in that 15 games stretch. The highlight was not meant to show how he produce but rather how he can control the play and work around the defender(s) and his ability to produce high danger scoring chances.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I could see the Red Wings wanting him, he's young and fits the timeline of a lot of their younger/newly drafted players maturing.

Red Wings trade 1st round pick, LHD Ollie Maata, RFA Jonatan Berggren, and G Trey Augustine..

Ducks trade F Trevor Zegras.

Idk if it's an over or under pay but it's what I'd be willing to do. He's signed two more years and is still a RFA in three years.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So much wrong with this.

Mailloux is more of an offensive guy than shut down type. Has only played one pro season and it was very solid. He has some development to go through yet. In terms of upside, Chelios is not the he player I would think of.
Chelios came to mind because he was high offence, not the most responsible on defense, dropped them with pleasure and had a few screws loose. Mailman had the third highest pm's, wont hesitate to drop them and his offence started slow then really took off. It took him a few dozen games to shake of his junior thinking.

Most people in here wouldn't know that he had the 3rd highest points in the AHL as defenseman and he was on the ALL STAR team. Again, despite the slow start.

The Habs are maturing and they need to put more defensive oriented system, which will choke down offense from the defenseman, regardless, his offense should show through.

In my ideal world, he's paired with X and they form the pair from hell.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think it’s all rumors…. I think Anaheim wants to keep him around, and maybe if a team wants to overpay for him you’ll see a move but short of that why.

I don’t think pv or Cronin dislike zegeas…. I just think they see a very high ceiling for him and want him to hit that…. But that involves him maturing on and off the ice and playing in all 3 zonzones
Sometimes the trades you don't make is the best decision.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

He’s a young kid and def had maturing to do as a face of franchise/nhl star…. But to me this interview showed how much he’s matured in his first couple seasons

For context this is after he got sat for a couple bad turn overs on a power play

I don’t think pv or Cronin dislike zegeas…. I just think they see a very high ceiling for him and want him to hit that…. But that involves him maturing on and off the ice and playing in all 3 zones.

I can see how he needed to mature. I try not to be too forceful in talking about this because of sample size. But after he was on the video game cover, in only a few times watching the ducks, I would see him going at guys who were chirping him. And it seemed to happen in a way where he did it for the gratification of seeing others have his back...because he was now the star of the team. Fully admit there’s more to it than what you see. And that’s also why I say I mention this with reluctance or without being to forceful. But that was the impression I had based on what I saw. Could be wrong. If my impression is in the ballpark of being correct, then yes, agreed, there was some immaturity there.

The game cover may not have been the best thing for him at the time. Doesn’t matter now though. It’s in the past and people are allowed to mature. Still though, it seems like a fresh start might not be the worst thing. It’s hard to pinpoint the return though.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I can see how he needed to mature. I try not to be too forceful in talking about this because of sample size. But after he was on the video game cover, in only a few times watching the ducks, I would see him going at guys who were chirping him. And it seemed to happen in a way where he did it for the gratification of seeing others have his back...because he was now the star of the team. Fully admit there’s more to it than what you see. And that’s also why I say I mention this with reluctance or without being to forceful. But that was the impression I had based on what I saw. Could be wrong. If my impression is in the ballpark of being correct, then yes, agreed, there was some immaturity there.

The game cover may not have been the best thing for him at the time. Doesn’t matter now though. It’s in the past and people are allowed to mature. Still though, it seems like a fresh start might not be the worst thing. It’s hard to pinpoint the return though.
This is the way

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sometimes the trades you don't make is the best decision.
Wasn’t that Scotty Bowman talking about almost trading Yzerman (after Yzerman put up 155 points) and being glad he didn’t? Yzerman learned to be a great leader and sacrificed his offensive game to help his team win in other ways. (He still put up big numbers though)
Would Zegras make a similar change to how he plays?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Chelios came to mind because he was high offence, not the most responsible on defense, dropped them with pleasure and had a few screws loose. Mailman had the third highest pm's, wont hesitate to drop them and his offence started slow then really took off. It took him a few dozen games to shake of his junior thinking.

Most people in here wouldn't know that he had the 3rd highest points in the AHL as defenseman and he was on the ALL STAR team. Again, despite the slow start.

The Habs are maturing and they need to put more defensive oriented system, which will choke down offense from the defenseman, regardless, his offense should show through.

In my ideal world, he's paired with X and they form the pair from hell.
I’m guessing saying a hof name there is going to be taken out of context

As far as offense goes, was there even much competition against him?

Clarke/zellweger were significantly better and more productive…. Outside of that there isn’t a lot of high ceiling guys on the rookie ahl dmen list.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I could see the Red Wings wanting him, he's young and fits the timeline of a lot of their younger/newly drafted players maturing.

Idk if it's an over or under pay but it's what I'd be willing to do. He's signed two more years and is still a RFA in three years.
I don't know what page you pulled that off of but there'd be less than zero interest from Anaheim. From day one of all these silly clickbait driven rumors/speculation, Ducks fans and more importantly their Front Office have said that 'if' there is a trade (which none of them want or are looking for), 'if', it will be a hockey trade one for one that will hurt the other team to do.

'If' he gets traded it will be a quality for quality trade and not quality for quantity. Looking at what you quoted, nothing, nothing in that list would be of any interest (perhaps the first as a minor piece of it). They have no need for any LHD, zero use for a career AHL forward, & no need for any more goalies now or into the immediate future (to be fair, Augustine looks like he's going to be quite good).

The only hole that needs filled would be a NHL ready top four RHD projected to be top line. That's pretty much it if you want to be in the Zegras conversation. PV would probably talk about/trade other players/picks to shore up weak areas (such as a top 6 right side forward with a contract not over a couple of years to be a stopgap until the youngsters show who they might become), but you're not getting Z for those.

Sorry.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wasn’t that Scotty Bowman talking about almost trading Yzerman (after Yzerman put up 155 points) and being glad he didn’t? Yzerman learned to be a great leader and sacrificed his offensive game to help his team win in other ways. (He still put up big numbers though)
Would Zegras make a similar change to how he plays?

I think he shows a lot of leader characteristics, and he also took massive steps in how he plays in all 3 zones.

Not saying he’s the next yzerman…. But I wouldn’t be shocked if he wears a letter some time down the line…. And if he can turn his defense to a nuetral from a negative I think that’s a big win. He was very aggressive on back check/forecheck this year, and was very good about covering the point, and being the first man back in the dzone. I would say out of our young guys he was prob the best defensively(not saying a tone, but a point I think many duck fans would agree with)

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Hockey is a very conservative sport and there are expectations of behaviour. While Z hasn't breached any taboos, he's still held to ridiculous "maturity" expectations.

95% perception, 5% reality.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think he shows a lot of leader characteristics, and he also took massive steps in how he plays in all 3 zones.

Not saying he’s the next yzerman…. But I wouldn’t be shocked if he wears a letter some time down the line…. And if he can turn his defense to a nuetral from a negative I think that’s a big win.
I like that Zegras can play an irritating game. He can be a bit of a pest, which (imo) makes him a better player. 60-70 points, good in all three zones, and a pest is a player all clubs would love to have. If he is moved, I think he becomes a real important player for his new club.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like that Zegras can play an irritating game. He can be a bit of a pest, which (imo) makes him a better player. 60-70 points, good in all three zones, and a pest is a player all clubs would love to have. If he is moved, I think he becomes a real important player for his new club.
It’ll be interesting to see how much more he can produce on a better team/or improved roster.

Maybe I’m wrong(but I watched him through college/ahl/jrs) and think he’ll be at least ppg player in his prime…. Anything below that would leave me disappointed based on the type of talent he has

Reactions: ohcomeonref

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Ship sailed. If the Ducks were going to trade Zegras, it was happening at the draft. I doubt he was really available, but Verbeek was willing to listen.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’m guessing saying a hof name there is going to be taken out of context

As far as offense goes, was there even much competition against him?

Clarke/zellweger were significantly better and more productive…. Outside of that there isn’t a lot of high ceiling guys on the rookie ahl dmen list.
Funny thing, i can drop a lot of HOF names that I've seen live. The first hazy memory i have is sitting on my fathers shoulders in a cup parade...in '56.

Mailman has no real offensive competition on the right side and Hutson is the "great white little hope" on the left. I'm not sure Hutson will be able to ply his wizardry without getting consistently plastered against the glass. Mailman has no such problem at 6'3", 230 and a nasty attitude. He will give it back in spades and if my dream of him getting paired with X, look out...

There is no guarantees as to how prospects turn out. Right now, from having watched him with amateur scout eyes, his minimum floor is top 6, his likely is top 4 and his ceiling is top 2. He has ALL the high end tools other then vision, which is more a function of missing a ton of development. Which he's getting now.

To be honest, he's better for you as a RHD and fits your offense better then Guhle....but you can't have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad