Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Zegras will be traded. He is a young player with elite skills who can put up points. He’s not going to help a club be a winner though. He would be a perfect fit on a rebuilding team. Fans would love his offensive flair and forgive his defensive faults. There’s no pressure to win.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Hmmm... whose a good match for him on the backend? Romanov from the Isles? I think Zegras could fetch a #3 or #4 defenseman at his current value

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
How could the ducks pass up such great offers…. Maybe those picks/prospects could become half the player zegras is already. And we get to push back the rebuild even further while we wait for those pieces to develop into NHL players (if they ever do).
Especially when you also factor in that the Ducks have what, seven picks in the first three rounds this year (2 1st, 2 2nd, 3 3rd). Why they could trade away 'all' their established prospects all around the league and get over a dozen first round picks alone this year....woo hoo....

After doing all that, in five years they might even be able to get back to where they are right now. How can they pass that up...?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Zegras will be traded. He is a young player with elite skills who can put up points. He’s not going to help a club be a winner though. He would be a perfect fit on a rebuilding team. Fans would love his offensive flair and forgive his defensive faults. There’s no pressure to win.

Based on?

He’s been much improved defensively…. And Anaheim is miles better with him in the line up.

He literally carried his wj team to gold…..

I don’t really understand where the he won’t he won’t help a team be winners narrative came from

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What is a rebuilding team going to trade for him?

I swear so many people do not think of both sides of the coin when discussing trades on this site...

All this trade talk and trade proposals just reminds me so much of the Nylander situation in Toronto. Everyone in the media wanted to trade him. People kept goin on about how he wasnt a fit, doesnt care, attitude issues, should trade him for d etc. The most common talked about person at the time trading Nylander for was Pesce. And if you look at it today, if the Leafs decided to trade Nylander for Pesce they would be kicking themselves.

I see absolutely zero logic in the ducks trading Zegras at this time. If he wanted out, or there were major issues behind the scenes then sure that might force a trade, but there is no evidence backing any of this.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Does Zegras have the same value that debrincat had with the hawks? I'd be all over a package like that from the Habs. 6-8th OA plus a second.
No, I don’t think the Ducks would trade Zegras for a 17/18 year old at this point. If he’s moved it’s in a hockey trade for a young NHLer (or soon to be NHLer), like Drysdale-Gauthier.

Hmmm... who’s a good match for him on the backend? Romanov from the Isles? I think Zegras could fetch a #3 or #4 defenseman at his current value
The Ducks should probably just keep Z then.

Reactions: lwvs84

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There was a time when fellow fancy boy Jonathan Drouin was thought of as highly valued around the league by HF posters because of his talent level, despite his struggles to turn his puck skill into high-end production, but I doubt NHL GMs valued him the same way.

Right or wrong they generally don't like players like Zegras. Could see his value being a lot lower around the league than people on this site think it is.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There was a time when fellow fancy boy Jonathan Drouin was thought of as highly valued around the league by HF posters because of his talent level, despite his struggles to turn his puck skill into high-end production, but I doubt NHL GMs valued him the same way.

Right or wrong they generally don't like players like Zegras. Could see his value being a lot lower around the league than people on this site think it is.

drouin 29
60 point seasons 0

Zegras 23(tho technically his 22 season)
60 point seasons 2

People really want to push ridiculous narratives, watch a game

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Not a great comparison at all. Drouin had more pre draft hype that he's never been able to live up to. Zegras saw his hype grow after making the NHL based on his performance in his first two seasons.

Zegras in his rookie year had five more points than Drouin has in this his career best season as tenth year pro and a passenger on a powerhouse team. They don't belong in the same conversation.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
drouin 29
60 point seasons 0

60 point seasons 2

Drouin had several seasons producing in the 50-60P range from age 21-23.

Zegras may have put up 60P+ the previous two years but scoring is also higher than it was 5 years ago.

Difference isn't that significant taking that into consideration.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

Zegras may have put up 60P+ the previous two years but scoring is also higher than it was 5 years ago.

Drouin's season point totals in order: 32, 10, 53, 46, 53, 15, 23, 20, 29.

Garbage take.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Two, he had two seasons over 50 points in his nine seasons in the league before this year (53 points twice), not several. Zegras had 61 and 65 points in his first two seasons in the league, again they just don't belong in the same convo.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Drouin's season point totals in order: 32, 10, 53, 46, 53, 15, 23, 20, 29.

Garbage take.

Drouin
19YR old season: 32 points in 70 games
20YR old season: 10 points in 21 games
21YR old season: 53 points in 73 games
22YR old season: 46 points in 77 games
23YR old season: 53 points in 81 games

Zegras
19YR old season: 13 points in 24 games
20YR old season: 61 points in 75 games
21YR old season: 65 points in 81 games
22YR old season: 12 points in 28 games
23YR old season: ???????????

Not much of a difference in production when you consider scoring is higher now.

Zegras was better in his 20YR old season but Drouin was doing better at the same age as Zegras is now, which obviously matters more when considering what Zegras' trade value would be if he were to be traded this off-season.

I think Duck fans would be disappointed in seeing what Zegras returns should he be dealt (which he shouldn't be). NHL GMs are an old school bunch. Fans get excited Zegras' fancy stick tricks and his attempts at making the highlight reel, while they get turned off at that stuff.

Ducks would be smarter to hold onto him and hope that he not only rebounds but takes a big step forward in production.

Reactions: Fatass

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Drouin
19YR old season: 32 points in 70 games
20YR old season: 10 points in 21 games
21YR old season: 53 points in 73 games
22YR old season: 46 points in 77 games
23YR old season: 53 points in 81 games

Zegras
19YR old season: 13 points in 24 games
20YR old season: 61 points in 75 games
21YR old season: 65 points in 81 games
22YR old season: 12 points in 28 games
23YR old season: ???????????

Not much of a difference in production when you consider scoring is higher now.

Zegras was better in his 20YR old season but Drouin was doing better at the same age as Zegras is now, which obviously matters more when considering what Zegras' trade value would be if he were to be traded this off-season.

I think Duck fans would be disappointed in seeing what Zegras returns should he be dealt (which he shouldn't be). NHL GMs are an old school bunch. Fans get excited Zegras' fancy stick tricks and his attempts at making the highlight reel, while they get turned off at that stuff.

Ducks would be smarter to hold onto him and hope that he not only rebounds but takes a big step forward in production.

0.73 ppg is a pretty significant difference over 0.60... no matter which way you try to frame this one, there really isn't much merit to the comparison, statically or other. They are left handed forwards who are primarily skill first players, it ends there. They don't even play the same position. Drouin ten years into his career, needs a strong finish to push his career high to match Zegras rookie year. Z has shown a much higher ceiling already at the NHL level, both statiscally and overall. You have just decided they share some similar traits you don't like, and are reaching hard to try and make them more comparable than they actually are.

Reactions: Vipers31

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
drouin 29
60 point seasons 0

60 point seasons 2

To be fair, at the time of the trade Drouin had just turned 21 and had a 53 points in 73 games season and 14 points in 17 games playoff.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Anaheim would want a hockey trade, most likely a young d man similar in age and pedigree.
I don't really see one - if you do please reply.

So, if there isn't one what is the value for Zegras? A 1st? Two 1sts? A 1st and blue chip prospect?

Owen Power.

Who says no? Besides me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad