Speculation: Trevor van Riemsdyk (Signs with Chicago)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Roster spot and a good chance at wasting time . Remember how Irwin got right into the team when he signed? Not saying that will happen again, but its pointless. I'd rather focus on the talent we already have.

So you would rather have Cameron Abney, Ryan Lasch, Jerred Smithson, Brad Staubitz and Kenny Ryan in the organization over a player that is having actual success at the NCAA level? Do you really think those four players have more upside and worth than Trevor Van Reimsdyk?

Last edited:

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
We have players already in the system that may or may not already fail, why waste a spot on him? Because he may or may not fail? :laugh: Its a waste of time. Majority of these guys wont be anything, at least try to develop the players already on the Marlies or in the juniors. We have Leivo , McKegg , Percy , Ryan , Ross, Granberg etc that should get a chance

Because sometimes you land a first line center like we have. Or a goalie with enough value to package for a starting goalie drafted 11th overall.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Roster spot and a good chance at wasting time . Remember how Irwin got right into the team when he signed? Not saying that will happen again, but its pointless. I'd rather focus on the talent we already have

What talent? Our D on the team sucks and while we have some nice D prospects it doesn't hurt to add more. At the very least it helps the Marlies, and we'd be signing AHL scrubs anyways if we aren't adding TVR.

Also Bozak was a free agent signing and so was Scrivens. Scrivens is looking good and he was an important piece in the Bernier trade.

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
So you would rather have Cameron Abney, Ryan Lasch, Jerred Smithson, Brad Staubitz and Kenny Ryan in the organization over a player that is having actual success at the NCAA level? Do you really think those four players have more upside and worth than Trevor Van Reimsdyk?

maybe not K.Ryan

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
We have players already in the system that may or may not already fail, why waste a spot on him? Because he may or may not fail? :laugh: Its a waste of time. Majority of these guys wont be anything, at least try to develop the players already on the Marlies or in the juniors. We have Leivo , McKegg , Percy , Ryan , Ross, Granberg etc that should get a chance

We need more talent. Can never have enough

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Roster spot and a good chance at wasting time . Remember how Irwin got right into the team when he signed? Not saying that will happen again, but its pointless. I'd rather focus on the talent we already have.

No you're totally right, comparing asking a girl out to running a billion dollar hockey team is the exact same :laugh:

Bozak didn't fail. Thats why I didn't mention him as a failure. I'm sick of hearing all this free wallets crap . How many "free wallets" has failed already? Not just NCAA kids either, guys form overseas? Owuya, Rynnas , Gustvasson , Mueller , Brunnstrom etc

How many draft picks have failed already?

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Bozak didn't fail. Thats why I didn't mention him as a failure. I'm sick of hearing all this free wallets crap . How many "free wallets" has failed already? Not just NCAA kids either, guys form overseas? Owuya, Rynnas , Gustvasson , Mueller , Brunnstrom etc

People keep attempting to argue this point and it's so stupid. How many draft picks have failed? Based on this idea we should trade all our picks and stop drafting players because there's a chance they might suck and take away a roster spot.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Will we ever learn? With the likes of Irwin,Hanson ,and Gysbers having failed miserably you'd think they'd be more cautious but they seem to always be in the mix for these college free agents.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Same can be said about these NCAA free agents.

ClarkHislopCox

Jan 14, 2014
Vermont
Whether Trevor van Riemsdyk signs as a free agent in March/April or comes back to UNH for his senior season will depend on numerous factors. One is likely to be how quickly his broken ankle heals and when he is able to skate competitively. He's not back in the UNH lineup yet as they begin the Hockey East playoffs this weekend. If the recovery takes another month (hypothetically) and he is unable to play any NHL and/or AHL games this spring, are there any advantages, for him or the pro team, for him to sign this season?

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Signing these college agents is a win-win for them. First, they make 10x more than what people make in a years.

$500,000 for 3 years. Enough money to have a "comfortable" life without having to worry about a mortgage like 90% of the population.

Second, a rich team like the leafs have buttloads of cash to spend. Why not? Take a gamble and consider it a lottery ticket

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
We shouldn't sign them because they are possibly a waste of a contract spot? Every prospect signed to a ELC is essentially also a possible waste of a contract spot too.

It's not like teams don't scout these players, and are just signing them blindly because they are getting talked about. Clearly teams that sign them feel that they can make possibly make an impact in the NHL and if not in the AHL.

Sebastien Centomo

Feb 29, 2004
www.tmlfans.ca

What does "wasting time" mean? Who is wasting time?

Can Steve Spott only instruct 10 or 12 players during the season? Does TJ Brennan go quietly stand at the other end of the ice during practice so Spott can teach Stu Percy in peace?

Again, what spot is being wasted on a undrafted player? Would it be more wasteful to use that spot on an undrafted player than it is to use the spot the way it's currently being used, by a journeyman who has no NHL future? (Mike Duco, Brad Staubitz, Kory Nagy, Wade MacLeod, Stefan Legein, etc.)

You seem to be under the impression that there are about ten spots on an AHL team. There aren't. The Marlies have used 36 different players this year. Last year it was 45.

Bozak didn't fail. Thats why I didn't mention him as a failure. I'm sick of hearing all this free wallets crap .

"All this free wallet crap":

Kunitz - Bozak - St. Louis
Zuccarello - T. Johnson - Read
Glencross - Peverley - Purcell
Dupuis - Letestu - J. Ward
Burrows - Desharnais - Clarkson
Bourque - Arcobello - Brunner
Leino - Halpern - Penner
Conacher - Garbutt - Klinkhammer
Roussel - Konopka - Fontaine

Giordano - Girardi
Gorges - Boyle
Greene - Michalek
Garrison - Tanev
DeKeyser - Krug
Benn - Belov
Dillon - Diaz
Gustafsson - Irwin
Schlemko - Stanton

Bobrovsky
Niemi
Hiller
Fasth
Scrivens
Martin Jones
Backstrom
Lack
Talbot
Gustavsson

Glad the Leafs didn't waste a spot on Tyler Johnson. Brad Ross would have never turned into the great player he is today.

How many "free wallets" has failed already? Not just NCAA kids either, guys form overseas? Owuya, Rynnas , Gustvasson , Mueller , Brunnstrom etc

Another bizarre point of view. Are you aware that 90+% of 4th to 7th round draft picks "fail"? (1. http://oilersnation.com/2011/2/25/value-in-acquiring-draft-picks and 2. http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?ID=267960) Would you ever say something as ignorant as "why waste time with 7th rounders when we should be spending our time on developing our 1st-3rd rounders"?

During the Burke/Nonis "free wallet" era the Leafs have signed the following undrafted free agents:

Brayden Irwin
Christian Hanson
Tyler Bozak
Jonas Gustavsson
Marcel Mueller
Simon Gysbers
Andrew Crescenzi
Tyler Brenner
Ben Scrivens
Mark Owuya
Jussi Rynnas
Robert Slaney
Spencer Abbott

13 total players. Two of them have become quality NHLers (Bozak and Scrivens).

2-for-13 is a 15% success rate, better than the NHL average for 5th to 7th round draft picks as shown in the articles above. What exactly are you whining about again?

Here's a fun little exercise for you.

Up until 2004 the NHL draft was nine rounds long and they also gave out a large number of compensatory draft picks. Each year there were around 290 players selected. Today there are about 210 players drafted, I doubt you're even willing to open your mind and read this so I'm hiding a message right here hello, each year (7 rounds, 30 picks per round, no comp. picks). Take a look at some of the players taken after the 210th pick in the drafts in the final few years of the NHL's old nine round drafts: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/index.html

I'll spot you just a couple notables (just from 2003 and 2004):

Pekka Rinne
Dustin Byfuglien
Tobias Enstrom
Matt Moulson

Where do you think these players who used to be drafted between the 211th and 290th overall picks are going today? I'm not confident that you'll come to the correct conclusion so I'll just tell you: they're becoming undrafted free agents every single year. And as "non-hockey" countries like Denmark, Switzerland, Norway, Slovenia, Germany, etc. begin to start producing talent, the number of NHL calibre players developed each year will continue to rise. More talent to select in the top 7 rounds of the draft = more talented "8th and 9th rounders" who are bumped out of the draft.

To ignore undrafted free agents is mind-numblingly ridiculous.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

Can Steve Spott only instruct 10 or 12 players during the season? Does TJ Brennan go quietly stand at the other end of the ice during practice so Spott can teach Stu Percy in peace?

Again, what spot is being wasted on a undrafted player? Would it be more wasteful to use that spot on an undrafted player than it is to use the spot the way it's currently being used, by a journeyman who has no NHL future? (Mike Duco, Brad Staubitz, Kory Nagy, Wade MacLeod, Stefan Legein, etc.)

You seem to be under the impression that there are about ten spots on an AHL team. There aren't. The Marlies have used 36 different players this year. Last year it was 45.

Leino - Halpern - Penner

Giordano - Girardi
Gorges - Boyle
Greene - Michalek
Garrison - Tanev
DeKeyser - Krug
Benn - Belov
Dillon - Diaz
Gustafsson - Irwin
Schlemko - Stanton

Bobrovsky
Niemi
Hiller
Fasth
Scrivens
Martin Jones
Backstrom
Lack
Talbot
Gustavsson

Glad the Leafs didn't waste a spot on Tyler Johnson. Brad Ross would have never turned into the great player he is today.

Another bizarre point of view. Are you aware that 90+% of 4th to 7th round draft picks "fail"? (1. http://oilersnation.com/2011/2/25/value-in-acquiring-draft-picks and 2. http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?ID=267960) Would you ever say something as ignorant as "why waste time with 7th rounders when we should be spending our time on developing our 1st-3rd rounders"?

During the Burke/Nonis "free wallet" era the Leafs have signed the following undrafted free agents:

Brayden Irwin
Christian Hanson
Tyler Bozak
Jonas Gustavsson
Marcel Mueller
Simon Gysbers
Andrew Crescenzi
Tyler Brenner
Ben Scrivens
Mark Owuya
Jussi Rynnas
Robert Slaney
Spencer Abbott

2-for-13 is a 15% success rate, better than the NHL average for 5th to 7th round draft picks as shown in the articles above. What exactly are you whining about again?

Up until 2004 the NHL draft was nine rounds long and they also gave out a large number of compensatory draft picks. Each year there were around 290 players selected. Today there are about 210 players drafted, I doubt you're even willing to open your mind and read this so I'm hiding a message right here hello, each year (7 rounds, 30 picks per round, no comp. picks). Take a look at some of the players taken after the 210th pick in the drafts in the final few years of the NHL's old nine round drafts: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/index.html

Pekka Rinne
Dustin Byfuglien
Tobias Enstrom
Matt Moulson

Where do you think these players who used to be drafted between the 211th and 290th overall picks are going today? I'm not confident that you'll come to the correct conclusion so I'll just tell you: they're becoming undrafted free agents every single year. And as "non-hockey" countries like Denmark, Switzerland, Norway, Slovenia, Germany, etc. begin to start producing talent, the number of NHL calibre players developed each year will continue to rise. More talent to select in the top 7 rounds of the draft = more talented "8th and 9th rounders" who are bumped out of the draft.

Won.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

Leino - Halpern - Penner

Giordano - Girardi
Gorges - Boyle
Greene - Michalek
Garrison - Tanev
DeKeyser - Krug
Benn - Belov
Dillon - Diaz
Gustafsson - Irwin
Schlemko - Stanton

Bobrovsky
Niemi
Hiller
Fasth
Scrivens
Martin Jones
Backstrom
Lack
Talbot
Gustavsson

Brayden Irwin
Christian Hanson
Tyler Bozak
Jonas Gustavsson
Marcel Mueller
Simon Gysbers
Andrew Crescenzi
Tyler Brenner
Ben Scrivens
Mark Owuya
Jussi Rynnas
Robert Slaney
Spencer Abbott

Pekka Rinne
Dustin Byfuglien
Tobias Enstrom
Matt Moulson

Great post!

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
I was about to mention Danny DeKeyser too.

Wasn't Martin St. Louis a NCAA free agent?

I think college is a good place to recruit talent. These are men playing with men. Whereas the CHL skews a bit younger. The CHL has 16-20 year olds (except for the rare few 15 year olds in its history. Like Connor McDavid and John Tavares when they first started). Whereas the NCAA is around 18-22 and in some cases even older since it's not unusual for college students to start later or graduate later.

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Lots of names mentioned. My favourite undrafted college free agent is a hall of fame goalie who set the current Leafs record for wins in a season

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

Leino - Halpern - Penner

Giordano - Girardi
Gorges - Boyle
Greene - Michalek
Garrison - Tanev
DeKeyser - Krug
Benn - Belov
Dillon - Diaz
Gustafsson - Irwin
Schlemko - Stanton

Bobrovsky
Niemi
Hiller
Fasth
Scrivens
Martin Jones
Backstrom
Lack
Talbot
Gustavsson

Brayden Irwin
Christian Hanson
Tyler Bozak
Jonas Gustavsson
Marcel Mueller
Simon Gysbers
Andrew Crescenzi
Tyler Brenner
Ben Scrivens
Mark Owuya
Jussi Rynnas
Robert Slaney
Spencer Abbott

Pekka Rinne
Dustin Byfuglien
Tobias Enstrom
Matt Moulson

Jeeeeze. Good post.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Leino - Halpern - Penner

Giordano - Girardi
Gorges - Boyle
Greene - Michalek
Garrison - Tanev
DeKeyser - Krug
Benn - Belov
Dillon - Diaz
Gustafsson - Irwin
Schlemko - Stanton

Bobrovsky
Niemi
Hiller
Fasth
Scrivens
Martin Jones
Backstrom
Lack
Talbot
Gustavsson

Brayden Irwin
Christian Hanson
Tyler Bozak
Jonas Gustavsson
Marcel Mueller
Simon Gysbers
Andrew Crescenzi
Tyler Brenner
Ben Scrivens
Mark Owuya
Jussi Rynnas
Robert Slaney
Spencer Abbott

Pekka Rinne
Dustin Byfuglien
Tobias Enstrom
Matt Moulson

Not that I was against this view point before, but I think this won more or less any debate.

I would sign Trevor to an amateur agreement the rest of the year, and then a contract this off season.

In regards to an an above post (not this one) - I would keep Kenny Ryan around, even if it is a 4th line role for him most likely in the future, I think he'd be a good 4th liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad