Player Discussion Trent Frederic II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
On topic, Frederic is a clown player and it’s embarrassing to have him on the roster...

That's blatant trolling, right? :laugh:

Personally I don't buy into the cult of Frederic, whatever that is exactly. He wants to be an agitator and that's fine, but you have to earn that right in the big league. Guys he's trying to bait can just skate away from him with no loss of status, because, as an opponent I can't remember said to him a few weeks ago, he's a nobody who hasn't done anything. Start producing or at least having some sort of consistent tangible impact on the game, then you can start riling guys up and getting in their face and be taken seriously.

Purely looking at his play, I thought his first full-ish season in the NHL was ok. Started pretty well, had a little lull, went on a short burst of games where he looked like he was starting to really get it, then he got sick and never really recovered his form after that, or a regular spot in the team. Partly too he was a victim of Hall and Lazar coming in and making the battle for spots more competitive.

I think @BruinDust's point is well made that he's been asked to play a different role in Boston than he was in Providence, and it's fair to take that into account when evaluating his performance. There were games where he just mostly looked lost, his positioning was poor, and he didn't really know where to be to put himself in a position to either break up opposing team's attacking plays or take advantage of those of his linemates. When he went quiet on the fighting front the rest of his game mellowed too, and it was no good. What he seems to have missed is that you can be physical and play a hard-checking game that makes the opposition uncomfortable, without having to always be mouthing off and looking for the next scrap. Despite all that there were enough games where he knuckled down and put in a good solid effort to think that there's something there to stick with and keep working on.

He's certainly not in the initial starting 12 against the Caps, and Lazar has really limited the need for him, but he'd have to be in the mix if the Bruins last long enough and injuries take a toll. Whatever happens there, I think next season will be make or break and we'll see whether he can cut it long-term.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
To be fair he isn’t on the starting roster.

No. Freddie can play on my Bruins anytime.

If he's a clown, he's the right kind of clown. The kind that gets in players' heads.

The Bruins have lacked legitmate physicality for FIVE YEARS. It's time they gained some again. Frederic, Miller, McAvoy, Tinordi, Ritchie. Even Carlo and Coyle.

That's a start.

You cannot beat the Washington Capitols with "speed and skill" alone. B's better understand that, or it will a quick exit.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I am happy to be the one Trent Frederic fan

I like him a lot going to be a good one

You're not alone. I love his attitude, style and skill-set.

He's going to improve his overall game in the near future and become a fan favourite.

Count me in the fan club, too. Even choose him for half of my playoff avatar.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Count me in the fan club, too. Even choose him for half of my playoff avatar.

I like his game. And we're allowed to cheer on character and effort even if his game has some rough edges. Sand those off, develop the skills a bit more - but keep the attitude.

I'm not comparing but Nevin Markwart was always one of my favourites. Just to say I have no problem with guys who don't play a perfect game if they bring the perfect attitude.
Aww, now I miss Markwart. The NHL just couldn't have a player like him again. Probably the most reckless player I've ever seen. The epitome of 'through a brick wall'. There's a reason he was always injured.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ritmo and duffy

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Instead of asking to go with someone & getting turned down, Trent should just grab the offender and tune him up.

You've all heard the saying "The art of being a woman is knowing when not to act like a lady". In Trent's case it's "the art of being an enforcer is knowing when not to act like a gentleman". :)

Reactions: Fenian24

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
With this kid it will be about the work he puts in and addresses his foot speed.

Kevan Miller to me is a guy that did this well. Freddy needs to get quicker on the first step.

He's still young and will mature into his body.

Reactions: b in vancouver

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Instead of asking to go with someone & getting turned down, Trent should just grab the offender and tune him up.

You've all heard the saying "The art of being a woman is knowing when not to act like a lady". In Trent's case it's "the art of being an enforcer is knowing when not to act like a gentleman". :)
So Trent Frederic is an enforcer now?

I like the kid. I know a few of his bantam coaches from back in St Louis, and I watched him a lot at Wisconsin. He's a big kid, trying to find a way to stick in the NHL who's willing to do whatever it takes to do so. If that means he needs to stir the pot to find a spot on the lineup, then that's what he'll do. But lets not make him into what he's not. He's not the next Milan Lucic.

Right now, he's basically another version of Adam Burrish 2.0. Hopefully he continues to develop beyond that.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Love that you posted this

I see no similarities- zero

please enlighten me what I’m missing

this like comparing Michele Phillips to Mama Cass
me neither, while I`m not terribly impressed with his play for the last while, I also see things I like but he`s young and trying to figure out how to play with consistency and purpose. Like to see him work on skating over the summer, like him to add some jump to that step

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
So Trent Frederic is an enforcer now?

I like the kid. I know a few of his bantam coaches from back in St Louis, and I watched him a lot at Wisconsin. He's a big kid, trying to find a way to stick in the NHL who's willing to do whatever it takes to do so. If that means he needs to stir the pot to find a spot on the lineup, then that's what he'll do. But lets not make him into what he's not. He's not the next Milan Lucic.

Right now, he's basically another version of Adam Burrish 2.0. Hopefully he continues to develop beyond that.

I think the role of enforcer is going to fall to him by default- Miller's knee & age (33) mean he won't be playing that much longer, Ritchie is UFA & might sign elsewhere, & Tinordi (as much as I like him) will probably not be brought back next season. That leaves Freddy. I think he could be a good one- he clearly isn't intimidated by anyone which is half the battle for a fighter.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Love that you posted this

I see no similarities- zero

please enlighten me what I’m missing

this like comparing Michele Phillips to Mama Cass
Well, there are some clear connections and some very significant distinctions as well. Like most things, it's complicated.

Both were in the very popular '60's group The Mama and The Papas.
They spent a lot of time in the greater LA area and were a cornerstone of the so called Laurel Canyon community.
Michele Phillips was a truly beautiful girl. Stunning, actually.
Sadly Michele was also quite f***ed up on drugs and had some unfortunate relationship issues. Mainly stemming from John Phillips who was a prick. A massive prick.
Mama Cass was not what you'd call beautiful, but to those who knew her, she was apparently a beautiful person.
Mama also had a truly beautiful voice.
The group.....

Oh wait........ you were asking about similarities between Frederick vs. Caron, weren't you? Apologies and nevermind. I got nuthin'.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

First he'll have to find a lady to tune up.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I think the role of enforcer is going to fall to him by default- Miller's knee & age (33) mean he won't be playing that much longer, Ritchie is UFA & might sign elsewhere, & Tinordi (as much as I like him) will probably not be brought back next season. That leaves Freddy. I think he could be a good one- he clearly isn't intimidated by anyone which is half the battle for a fighter.
Well if it does, the kid better learn how to fight, because right now he's terrible at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad