Trending Up? Trending Down?

How are the Blues trending heading into the 2022-2023 season?

• Up

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Down

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • The needle is stuck

Votes: 26 33.8%

• Total voters

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Greiss will surprise folks.

Thomas locked in is beautiful.

Need to address LD. Leddy is a quality signing but we still need something more substantial in that position.

Perron gone which is really tragic but it happens more often than we are willing to admit.

Chucky leaving is a good thing. He’s going to get the shot he deserves that we can’t really give him. Last guy who was the odd man out was Bishop and if he has half the career as Bishop, I for one will be proud. He deserves this.

I think Army is doing what he can without handcuffing us. I don’t think he’s done yet.

Reactions: eibyyz and mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It's way too early to tell without seeing a complete offseason. I hate losing Perron for the contract he walked out on, but without seeing the full body of work this offseason no rational conclusion can be made.

Day 1 of free agency though I give DA a C.
-Leddy contract. good in my book
- Acciari, good in my book
- Griess, I think the contract terms $1.25x1 are perfect, I think there were other bargain bin goalies out there that would have been better though.
- Losing Perron for 2x4.75, that's the only one that is purely a bad move to let him walk for under 5.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
The only bad today was Perron leaving.

Acciari is a solid 4th line pickup
Griess is a meh backup. But, comes in fairly cheap. As long as he isn't Chris Johnson bad it's whatever.
Leddy for 4M is good, maybe a year too long, but it is what it is. In years 3 and 4 the cap is projected to have a strong increase after the NHLPA pays their debt off.
Thomas at 8.125 is going to be a steal in 3 years.

Reactions: mk80

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Losing Perron sucks, but it's hit we can afford if young players step up. Resigning Leddy was huge. Aciari should upgrade 4th line. Don't love Greiss signing. But we need to look at context.

What good team got better today? A bunch of bad teams added some nice players. Good teams mostly lost. If Kadri walks then Colorado will have lost much more than us this offseason. Wild took step back. Nash got bit better but they were marginal. Dallas hasn't done anything to improve. We are in better position right now than we were 1 year ago.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Up.

The Thomas extension outweighs any negatives for me. I was very concerned about him having another point per game season and making us choose between arbitration or a $10M+long term deal. There are 19 centers that have an AAV of $8M+ for 2022/23 and I think there is a good chance that is 20 whenever Kadri finds a team. That number will only grow as the cap grows for the next 9 years. Thomas will be starting his 8 year extension being paid like an average-to-below average 1C.

We locked in a homegrown 1C under Army's 'death by a thousand cuts' financial structure and Thomas will be 31 years old when this contract expires. As of today, Thomas is set to be the league's 46th highest cap hit in 2023/24. He will fall down that list as more guys sign deals in the next 14 months. And that will be year 1 of 8 at that locked in cap hit. He makes slightly less than Brady Tkachuk.

$24M in cap space left for 2023/24 and priority #1 is taken care of at a number below what I expected. There is work to do, but the organization is in great shape.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Prophetic...57% down...we miss you DP!!!

Screenshot_20220713-165734.png

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
Easy answer. Up.

Kyrou, Thomas, Perunovich, Neighbours, Bolduc, Hofer, etc etc. This team has plenty of young talent.

Reactions: cardinalnation

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
As of this moment, down. Hard to deny that.

But I'd be shocked if they didn't have something bigger in the works that comes to light in the next 48 hours.

Reactions: cardinalnation

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
We've got multiple months to find out what the opening night roster is going to be. I'm saying the needle is stuck until training camp, we'll have a much better look at the roster at that point.

Reactions: mk80

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Hard to argue that we are not trending down. We need Kyrou and Thomas to take that next step to remain equal.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
In a cap world, we were either going to keep Leddy or keep Perron. We keep the LHD. That should seem to be the correct move. And really a no brainer. Scoring was not an issue last year.

Leddy is both younger and a position OF NEED. Plus Tarsenko wI’ll be more productive than Perron. Yeah, he is a fan favorite this time around, but most were happy he was the forward traded to Edmonton the last time he was here.

everyone does realize that 26 of his points were on the PP.

This is part of the hard area of business. Letting fan favorites walk at the right time. Fans here were mad about Backes, leaving and Pie leaving. But both have been the correct move. We will see with Perron, but with concussions and age, I don’t mind him leaving. While not ideal, I am glad we went in the direction we did.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Looking at our playoff roster to the one we have today, we have trended down. We downgraded goaltending and at forward. Losing a high production forward in Perron hurts.

Now, that could be offset by increases in productivity by our young guys like Thomas, Kyrou, Buch and Neighbours/Bolduc. I am not sure there is much higher of a ceiling for most of those players aside from the rookies on the offensive side, but defensively there is a ton of room for improvement.

But, that also has to assume no declines from our vets, which to me is a hard sell given some of their ages.

I think our defense still didn’t get the upgrade it needed. I don’t love the composition there. Leddy is ok. He did well for us, but he needs to avoid the Scandella cliff that happened after his new contract. Leddy still isn’t enough in my opinion and our defense is now pretty expensive.

A lot is riding on Binnington now. He really needs to get his head on straight and make sure his valleys are shallower. We can’t have a repeat of last regular season.

Admittedly, this is an initial assessment of day one of the FA period. A lot can change between now and the end of the season. I expect the team at the end of the year is different than today and it may even be different in a couple days.

I do like the Thomas contract. We have started to solidify our future core. If we can lock in Kyrou too, then we will know how much cap we have to build and solidify the next core.

Last edited:

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Currently: I would say slightly down trending. Depending on how they address the lost of Perron I could change my mind.

Leddy is good. It shores up the left side of the defense. Acciari is decent 4th liner. No issue with that. Thought they may go for Rodrigues (AKA Blues killer he is) or Tyler Motte, but Acciari is fine. Griess is meh, but we just need filler for a year or 2 at most before Hofer or Ellis may be ready for the leap into NHL (Hofer mainly)

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017
I voted that the needle is stuck. I will echo other posters' thoughts in that we can't really know up or down until camp begins and we know what we are working with. If we go into the season with the roster we have now, then I would expect us to make the playoffs and go no further than the 2nd round.

I thought all of the moves yesterday were fine, including letting Perron go. It stings but it isn't a death sentence. The term on Leddy's deal is a bit problematic for me but its a deal that I think DA can pretty easily get out from under should it go south. I'm wondering what the plan is with Vova as it seems that he will walk. Personally, I think we need to move him in a hockey trade for a top 4(2?) LHD but that deal has to present itself. I wouldn't just move him for the sake of it, at least not yet. If the opportunity presents itself before the deadline and we are in a position like we were the year Stastny was moved, we can always cash in then too.

However, there is a lot of time left to rework the defense in the off-season, which I think is the biggest issue moving forward.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I definitely think they took a step back, but not as drastic as a large part is making it out to be. On a scale from 1(large step back) 5(needle is stuck) and 10(large jump forward) I'd put it around a 4.

Outside of needing to drop a LHD (most likely Scandella) or top 4 is set for the next few years and both of our RHD now has a puck moving LHD by their side.

We lost Perron, which completely sucks, but now we need to see what we have in our younger guys.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I definitely think they took a step back, but not as drastic as a large part is making it out to be. On a scale from 1(large step back) 5(needle is stuck) and 10(large jump forward) I'd put it around a 4.

Outside of needing to drop a LHD (most likely Scandella) or top 4 is set for the next few years and both of our RHD now has a puck moving LHD by their side.

We lost Perron, which completely sucks, but now we need to see what we have in our younger guys.
I would agree that our downgrade is probably closer to neutral than a huge drop off.

I am guessing that the way we read other’s post may not be reflective of how much they feel we improved or declined yesterday.

I tend to read these as fairly raw reactions. How intensely people feel possibly resides in the forthcoming days.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Colorado took bigger step back.

Reactions: Brian39

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark