TSN: Treliving: "We've got young players for the 1st time in a long time that are pushing..."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

It has been said Leafs core does not have an Alpha. Chose One

• Cowan

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Minten

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Grebyonkin

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Knies

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Other Prospect

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Tanev - Interim

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
...to get in our line-up".

Aug 14th TSN overdrive interview with Brad Treliving.

He mentioned some encouraging things about TOR's young players:

"Matthew Knies is coming off a couple of regular season games and a playoff series. (Now) he's got a year under his belt. Bobby McMann wasn't even talked about. He didn't start on the roster with our team. The Holmbergs (Pontus Holmberg). "

I like where he's going with this. I'm pulling for our young players. I actually like who he mentioned. I even think they could be likeable players by our fanbase (if they're not already), and possibly unsung heroes in the playoffs.

I found it significant as to who he didn't mention. One being Robertson then nothing of Cowen/Minton. Perhaps that was by design. Perhaps they were accidentally omitted.

Are we looking at Knies and McMann as our starting top 6 left wingers, and Holmberg ad our 4C? It wouldn't be a stretch IMHO.

What do you think? Is Knies capable of 50 pts?

Could McMann contribute with 15+ goals?

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Robertson isn't under contract yet, so the omission doesn't necessarily mean much as of yet. Minten and Cowen are a bit unknown, as we don't even know if they are NHL ready as of yet.

But...

Knies is a guy that I agree could be a 30-40 goal guy, if he gets PP time at some point. Hopefully they get him extended before that happens though. It's his sophomore year... so who knows... sophomore jinx, or big step forward. There is a lot of potential there.

I think McMann, last year is about what we can hope from him. 20 goal depth scorer with some size and grit, if he stays healthy for the year.... and that's great.

I agree, and have said there is more in Holmberg too... I think 3C upside.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Knies will be lucky to top out as a 30 goal guy, imo.

I like him cause he's a big body and he plays honest hockey but he hasn't really shown much instinct in the offensive zone.

Will he? To be foreseen, but Knies could absolutely be a 30 goal guy.

Seen some of his highlights, he’s a menace in front of the net and he’s got good hands.

Will is TBA but could is yeah.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Cowan and Minten's ETA and moreso, just how effective they can be is a real wildcard.

I would say it's unlikely that both will look fully ready next season but if they are, We could have an extremely deep forward group.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
As far as I can tell the main reason people are down on Minten is the WJC last year. Perhaps some link between his draft position and size to Freddy the Goat.

I've still got high hopes for him. He didnt have crazy junior numbers, but I think he can be one of those all around players who excels at the pro game, maybe just not this year.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I have Dewar as a sleeper for 10 goals. Hes similar to McMann in which the effort level is always high.

Reactions: aingefan

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
As far as I can tell the main reason people are down on Minten is the WJC last year. Perhaps some link between his draft position and size to Freddy the Goat.

I've still got high hopes for him. He didnt have crazy junior numbers, but I think he can be one of those all around players who excels at the pro game, maybe just not this year.
Not just WJC. He had a poor offensive season. He should have been putting up better numbers than that at his age, especially after getting a taste of the NHL.

Reactions: hotpaws

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Not just WJC. He had a poor offensive season. He should have been putting up better numbers than that at his age, especially after getting a taste of the NHL.
i don't think point production is really his game . He is not an electrifying player. Maybe he raised expectations too high with the camp, and then when he didn't completely obliterate junior and the WJC it was seen as a let down. I'm still high on the kid. I could see him getting some games due to injury and until we can add a C when we have more cap close to deadline.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think it's because they downplay his puck skills and offense so he comes across like a Matt Stajan.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
It’s really hard to determine where someone will be in 5 years. Who would have predicted Hyman would be a 50+ goal guy?

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
i don't think point production is really his game . He is not an electrifying player. Maybe he raised expectations too high with the camp, and then when he didn't completely obliterate junior and the WJC it was seen as a let down. I'm still high on the kid. I could see him getting some games due to injury and until we can add a C when we have more cap close to deadline.
Yeah for sure, but it’s hard to be more than a bottom line player without offensive production. Maybe he’ll still be a solid 3C for us, but anything more than that seems unlikely and there were definitely people who were hoping for more (myself included). We’ve really been starved of Center prospects.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
It’s really hard to determine where someone will be in 5 years. Who would have predicted Hyman would be a 50+ goal guy?
What terrible organization trades a guy like Hyman ?

A very poorly run one.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
What terrible organization trades a guy like Hyman ?

A very poorly run one.
Wait? Trades for a guy like Hyman? Answer: TOR.

Do you mean what type of org let's a guy like Hyman walk to free agency? Answer: TOR.

The difference I suppose was that TOR didn't have the cap allocation at the time they traded for Hyman.

Lou Lamoriello was GM when they traded for him. Dubas was GM when TOR let him walk.

Edit - according to sources Dubas traded for Hyman.

Last edited:

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Literally no one except Zach lying in bed at night saying to himself how he was going to prove those idiots in Leaf management wrong

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Wait? Trades for a guy like Hyman? Answer: TOR.

Do you mean what type of org let's a guy like Hyman walk to free agency? Answer: TOR.

The difference I suppose was that TOR didn't have the cap allocation at the time they traded for Hyman.

Lou Lamoriello was GM when they traded for him. Dubas was GM when TOR let him walk.

Hyman trade: June 19, 2015
Lamoriello hired as GM: July 23, 2015

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad