Confirmed with Link: Travis Konecny Signs Eight Year Extension ($8.75M AAV w/ Six Years of NMC and 2 Years of M-NTC)

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
They shouldn't follow the consensus, b/c that guarantees mediocrity.
They should follow their board.

Now whether they're good at player evaluation will be revealed over the next couple years, but if you're going to follow the consensus, just fire all your scouts and get an AI program to aggregate all the "consensus" opinions.

Buium was the 6th D-man picked, which suggests NHL teams see some flaws that are more likely to be exposed at higher levels. It's not 20 years ago, teams love offensive D-men these days. Doesn't mean they're right, just that he wasn't a slam dunk or he'd have gone in the top 5.

Luchanko was a late riser, but wasn't going to get much past #15, with at least two teams prepared to take him. He's got the perfect skill set for today's NHL, but whether he can translate those skills to the ice remains to be seen.

If they were just picking for position, they should have taken Helenius, who's a pretty safe bet to be a 2C down the road.
They’ve demonstrated they are bad at player evaluation consistently.

Furthermore, mediocrity would be a large step forward for them.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For a team that has been as mediocre-bad for as long as they have, they sure do hand out max term contracts like they are going away. It's incredible. This doesn't apply directly to TK as he earned the term as much as anyone but yeah... They don't really like to make tough decisions.

Was Schenn the last player they traded that wasn’t either an expiring contract &/or someone they clearly gave up on?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
People are way to confident about this.
Given historical parallels, he's a high probability top 6, and probably even odds to be an elite scorer.
However, he's 19 this season, 40 ES points would be a great season, and we'll see if the PP can improve with him on it.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
With all the positivity that goes on in this board at least let us have this one
I mean I have super hugh hoped for MM. And I think he could turn into a real top 5-10 type super star. But it's not the guarantee people are making it sound like. He is going to be a great player but people have gone a little overboard with what he is "sure" to become.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I mean I have super hugh hoped for MM. And I think he could turn into a real top 5-10 type super star. But it's not the guarantee people are making it sound like. He is going to be a great player but people have gone a little overboard with what he is "sure" to become.

I would be utterly shocked if he’s not a superstar, it would blow my mind, but I’m use to heartache so I’m ready for the worst.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Why would that be utterly shocking? The league gets one of those guys every couple of years at most. They are exceedingly rare, you only get a "sure thing" every like 5 or more years.
I've been watching Michkov for quite sometime, outside the Bedard and McDavid draft, without the "Russian factor" and his 3 year SKA contract, he'd be #1 in any draft this decade. He’s that good.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
You feel confident drafting him ahead of Mathews? Someone who scored 69 goals last season?

Bold choice.

I mean this statement is based off what we've already seen Matthews do. We have yet to see Michkov play, would you draft a Kucherov type over Matthews? Not a center but produces in the playoffs and just won the Ross, hard to say. We know what Matthews is in the NHL, we do not with Michkov yet, it can go both ways. Matthews put up 69 goals and went MIA again when it matters. Michkov is having historic level seasons, as an 18-19 year old pre-NHL, safe to say he's going to be great.

EDIT : I'm not saying Matthews sucks or that Michkov will be Kucherov, just this is my opinion, we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I mean this statement is based off what we've already seen Matthews do. We have yet to see Michkov play, would you draft a Kucherov type over Matthews? Not a center but produces in the playoffs and just won the Ross, hard to say. We know what Matthews is in the NHL, we do not with Michkov yet, it can go both ways. Matthews put up 69 goals and went MIA again when it matters. Michkov is having historic level seasons, as an 18-19 year old pre-NHL, safe to say he's going to be great.

EDIT : I'm not saying Matthews sucks or that Michkov will be Kucherov, just this is my opinion, we'll have to wait and see.
Well if I was so confident that I knew MM was going to be a top 5 player scoring something like 40-80-120ish a year then I would want the 19 year old, not the 27 year old.

And you know that MM is going to be that level of player. A real superstar. This is a guarantee. You know this. Why wouldn't you want thr younger cost controlled player.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well if I was so confident that I knew MM was going to be a top 5 player scoring something like 40-80-120ish a year then I would want the 19 year old, not the 27 year old.

And you know that MM is going to be that level of player. A real superstar. This is a guarantee. You know this. Why wouldn't you want thr younger cost controlled player.
We wish he'll be that kind of player.
Check back in 3 years (I'll be happy with 40 ES points this year and 15-20 on PP).

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

I thought you're talking about during their draft years. lol, I'm so confused. haha :D Either way I'm a massive believer, I think MM is the real fking deal, we're lucky to have him.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Honestly agree with this, Michkov is going to be a super star, they’ll need a few more draft prospects to hit but Michkov kind of saved us, even if the organization didn’t really deserve it. Nothing we can do now just pray it works out, they weren’t getting 1OA even if they traded him

This team absolutely deserves something good after all the garbage luck they've had over the years. Lindblom getting cancer, our future #1C (Patrick) retiring at 22 because of migraine disorder, our #1 goalie being charged with sexual assault, Fedotov getting snatched by the Russian military, and I could go on,

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
These comparisons are silly when Michkov hasn't even played in the NHL, but for the record Matthews has 48 points in 55 playoff games. Marner, Nylander and Rielly have also produced well in the postseason, but after that there's a giant dropoff. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Jonesy, Danny and Torts to build a more well-rounded team around Michkov than the Leafs have done with Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad