Player Discussion Travis Hamonic (D)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Cheers to Hamonic, he’s played well.

Actually a good trade for a depth RD, I think right now most Sens fans would pay a 3rd for a vet who played from top to bottom pairing, broke in Sanderson and has been a good vet. 4 seasons later he’s playing top pairing against a division rival you’re trying to unseed and he looks good in a W.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Actually a good trade for a depth RD, I think right now most Sens fans would pay a 3rd for a vet who played from top to bottom pairing, broke in Sanderson and has been a good vet. 4 seasons later he’s playing top pairing against a division rival you’re trying to unseed and he looks good in a W.
The trade, overall, has been quite good.

I don't currently want him in the top 4, myself, but he hasn't been a disaster.

Reactions: Tuna99

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I've thought the Hamonic-Kleven pair has struggled mind you that was probably mostly against Florida but he has done well alongside Sanderson with the absence of Zub. 1 GA in 70 min at 5v5 is something I think everyone should be pleased with. He has however been on the ice for every PP goal against.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

He's consistently been contending for the worst defender on the roster since we acquired him.

He appears to not be completely arse because Sanderson is playing like a top 5 defender in the league, but is still slow and the weakest part of our blueline. Should've never been extended

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think he's held his own just fine this year. Agree with the sentiment that maybe him and Kleven aren't the best match, but I think Hammer looks better this year.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He's consistently been contending for the worst defender on the roster since we acquired him.

He appears to not be completely arse because Sanderson is playing like a top 5 defender in the league, but is still slow and the weakest part of our blueline. Should've never been extended
I’m not offering an opinion or trying to defend Hamonic, but I do find it interesting how some fans expect a bottom pairing player to play like a stud (or a 1st pair defender on a regular basis) and also get paid a low salary on top of it. I’m sure they’d like to find a good defender for the bottom pair (or 7D which Hamonic might end up being at some point this year) for under a million/year, but I will assume it's easier said than done.

And, we are having to find less than optimal solutions now with the injury to Zub.

Next year we’ll likely have that option with Yakemchuk, but we’re probably going to have to ride out the year most likely with Hamonic. If there’s a lesson learned there, it’s that good draft picks/ELCs are always good for a team and their roster. Sorry for applying any levity to situation.

Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I’m not offering an opinion or trying to defend Hamonic, but I do find it interesting how some fans expect a bottom pairing player to play like a stud (or a 1st pair defender on a regular basis) and also get paid a low salary on top of it. I’m sure they’d like to find a good defender for the bottom pair (or 7D which Hamonic might end up being at some point this year) for under a million/year, but I will assume it's easier said than done.

And, we are having to find less than optimal solutions now with the injury to Zub.

Next year we’ll likely have that option with Yakemchuk, but we’re probably going to have to ride out the year most likely with Hamonic. If there’s a lesson learned there, it’s that good draft picks/ELCs are always good for a team and their roster. Sorry for applying any levity to situation.
I understand the situation, Staios didn't have much flexibility when it comes to Hamonic. He's difficult to move because Hamonic has control where he goes and he's bad at hockey which makes it even harder to move him if a deal comes up.

He's a bottom-pairing defender being asked to play up the lineup due to injury, and kudos to him for putting the work in to play his absolute best. I hope he can play even better, but I don't think its sustainable for Sanderson's elite play to keep masking how slow Hamonic is. I am looking forward to having more depth at RD as the Zub returns and hoping that JBD can keep progressing in his play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad