Player Discussion Travis Hamonic (D)

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Hamonic still in the top 6 at practice. I think we’re stuck his Hamonic’s “veteran presence” for the year.

Don't imagine the rope is too long for Hamonic. If he doesn't find his legs he will sit. Maybe not as quickly as us fans who watched him last year would like though.

I'd like to see JBD in over Hamonic sooner rather than later. Better mobility, better puck skills. The bar is low though.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Panther's forechecking is next level and Hamonic looks even slower than usual. He knows where to position himself to block shots, but he's just not fast enough to break up a play with his stick or effectively tie a guy up. Looking forward to seeing JBD with Kleven asap
I am looking forward to the day we replace both JBD and Hamonic. Yak cannot arrive soon enough!

Reactions: SENStastic

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's unquestionably a number 7 on a team with some semblance of defensive depth.

Kleven is carrying that pairing very hard.
Kleven is an NHL rookie; he is doing well in that capacity and is learning how to play against bigger, stronger, faster and more highly skilled players. He will get better. Hamonic is in decline and not getting better. If only Dorion had not traded away one or two of our top draft picks we might have been better off at D.

Reactions: bicboi64

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree with this but I thought the game against NJD was one of his best,

I've always liked JBDs game though,
Apparently Coach Green thinks Hamonic is better than JBD; why else would Green be playing Hamonic ahead of JBD? I don't think anyone has said JBD was injured or not fully healthy.

He's unquestionably a number 7 on a team with some semblance of defensive depth.

Kleven is carrying that pairing very hard.
Kleven has been playing a decent defensive game for the Senators and appears to be very careful and cautious with the puck and not jumping up into the rush to create offence. I think he is learning his way in the league and might start to show more but limited offensive ability as he begins to feel more comfortable.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Apparently Coach Green thinks Hamonic is better than JBD; why else would Green be playing Hamonic ahead of JBD? I don't think anyone has said JBD was injured or not fully healthy.
I think there's value to playing a rookie in Kleven with a Veteran, there's also a case to be made for not having too many green players in the lineup.

I don't think the difference between JBD and Hamonic is that large but the team wants that veteran presence in the lineup so that put Hamonic over the top when making the decision.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hamonic still in the top 6 at practice. I think we’re stuck his Hamonic’s “veteran presence” for the year.
His contract ends at the end of this season; I doubt he gets another one from the Senators.

I think there's value to playing a rookie in Kleven with a Veteran, there's also a case to be made for not having too many green players in the lineup.

I don't think the difference between JBD and Hamonic is that large but the team wants that veteran presence in the lineup so that put Hamonic over the top when making the decision.
Could be it.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode

Kleven has been playing a decent defensive game for the Senators and appears to be very careful and cautious with the puck and not jumping up into the rush to create offence. I think he is learning his way in the league and might start to show more but limited offensive ability as he begins to feel more comfortable.
There is a built-in trust factor for Green with Hamonic (same with MacEwen & Gaudette) that goes back to Vancouver.
Until JBD can earn the trust of Green, Hamonic going to be in the line-up.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I agree with this but I thought the game against NJD was one of his best,

I've always liked JBDs game though,
He kept it simple and used Sandy as much as he could. Sandy also helped him out on his side a few times. He didn't have to make a lot of plays under pressure which is good.

JBD with Kleven looked better to me which is a good sign. One game.. We will see more until Zub is back.

Reactions: Micklebot

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
There is a built-in trust factor for Green with Hamonic (same with MacEwen & Gaudette) that goes back to Vancouver.
Until JBD can earn the trust of Green, Hamonic going to be in the line-up.
i feel like as important of a question is when does hamonic lose said trust because like its been multiple years of this lol

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Yah I would not automatically say Green thinks he's better because he got the starts early in the season. Deferring to the vet who had a good TC I think most coaching staffs would do

Reactions: Micklebot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad