Player Discussion Travis Hamonic (D)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I thought his game was ok (relative to expectations for your 6/7) until the last two shifts where he got hemmed in both times for very long shifts leading to quality chances against.
I agree. Thought he played fine other than those couple long shifts they got stuck out there for, but then it's not like that was only him. At one point they had a graphic that all 5 guys were over 2 minutes.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I thought Kleven was also shell shocked last night

hopefully things improve but many of us have raised concerns about the bottom pair. Not sure why people expect Hamonic to magically be better at his age
because he had the 1 good preseason game

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I thought Kleven was also shell shocked last night

hopefully things improve but many of us have raised concerns about the bottom pair. Not sure why people expect Hamonic to magically be better at his age
I think it was the 2nd crazy long forecheck that showed Kleven and Hamonic not on the same page.

We controlled the puck and the Panthers did a full line change. Hamonic passed it to Kleven and told him to go behind the net for the Senators to change, but Kleven passed it right back and bolted to the bench.

Hamonic took it behind the net, waited for the change, but the Panthers forecheck was back and we never cleared the zone after Hamonic passed it to a covered winger.

Chabot was guilty of that too, on a other shift that led to us being trapped for an extended time.

Panthers forecheck is amazing, but we created our own mess numerous times.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No giveaways, 4 hits and 4 blocks are all good signs but he was caught on the ice for a few long shifts.
There are also 5 guys on the ice & the forwards are equally responsible to help the defence get the puck out & several times the forwards had the puck on their stick & failed to get the puck out. They still do some running around in their own end at times & I'm quite sure the coaching staff will address it, but Florida probably has the best attack team & forechecking team in the league. It's exactly the way the Sens should play for as much of the 60 minutes as possible.

Reactions: LiseL

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Panther's forechecking is next level and Hamonic looks even slower than usual. He knows where to position himself to block shots, but he's just not fast enough to break up a play with his stick or effectively tie a guy up. Looking forward to seeing JBD with Kleven asap

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
He got caught against the top 2 lines of Florida.

This is a tough one. I didn't like how passive and slow he was at times especially because it ended up with Kleven and our forwards running around trying to compensate.

I wouldn't mind playing him against weaker teams but against heavy forecheck teams like Florida that are contenders - we need an alternative to put on the ice.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
really don't know what people expect from hamonic. He shouldn't be in the lineup each night. especially with a rookie

just a poor move to have both those guys as the answer together

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ok, so we can play that game.

Sanderson had a 29.65 xGF% last night and he played very well. What is it like when he plays bad?

Chabot had a 70.65% xGF% and people thought he was bad, what does he look like when he plays well, the Norris is his?

I'm not really that interested to play that game though. I mean, you know pretty much that advanced stats is obviously not about just one game. IF Sanderson was having awful metrics every game like Hamonic, he wouldn't be viewed as such an huge rising talent.

Anyway, don't really need advanced stats to see that Hamonic is not really NHL caliber anymore. I think it's an easy call on the eyes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not really that interested to play that game though. I mean, you know pretty much that advanced stats is obviously not about just one game. IF Sanderson was having awful metrics every game like Hamonic, he wouldn't be viewed as such an huge rising talent.

Anyway, don't really need advanced stats to see that Hamonic is not really NHL caliber anymore. I think it's an easy call on the eyes.
You started the game, you decided to quote stats without context in a sample so small they are meaningless and acted like you made a point, you didn't though,

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You started the game, you decided to quote stats without context in a sample so small they are meaningless and acted like you made a point, you didn't though,

I'm not playing any game. I simply provided metrics asking how does it look when he is bad, because he can really be, like tonight

Not everything needs to be said all the time, there's already things we know and understand. You're playing a "game" if you're deliberating ignoring them.

Also, not true about not providing context, my point was about the 2 schools of thought

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Her is dragging Kleven down. I think JBD plays tomorrow. That play on the first goal ws such an easy play to make, and he messed it up

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Whats with the love for this guy? He is making $hit money and he clearly cannot keep himself in the play. Sit him down, eat the salary and bury the turd.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
Her is dragging Kleven down. I think JBD plays tomorrow. That play on the first goal ws such an easy play to make, and he messed it up
they should try Chabot with JBD and give Klevin someone that can help him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad