Player Discussion Travis Hamonic (D)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
JBD with a solid training game blocking shots & playing a sound positional game. I think Hamonic will help Kleven as he helped Sanderson in his first yr in the NHL, I expect that he will share that 6th spot with JBD & be an injury replacement on D. Hamonic is in the last yr of his contract & it's doubtful he will be re-signed. However, Kleven will need to step up at some point & develop a mean streak & come to the defence of teammates as will Yak in future too.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think he outplayed JBD by a little in TC but the big factor is the 3rd pairing with Kleven and this is to start the season to have a more veteran presence to start the year. JBD will see more games as Kleven's NHL game matures and he shows consistency.

Kleven was mostly fine during TC ... but he is a rookie and he won't be perfect. I think he gets better as he goes and shows more of his upside.

JBD is fine positionally. He is smart .. but he is not quick, not fast and he lacks some strength.

Reactions: DJB and Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it depends what people's expectations are for 3rd pairing defencemen. They are not going to wow you with flashy plays, they are needed to play a solid steady consistent defensive game, be hard to play against & reduce the goals against 5 on 5 & on the PK. Ott doesn't need them to score a ton of goals or become an elite player, they need solid & steady D play, hit, block shots, come your teammates defence & that's basically it.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I think it depends what people's expectations are for 3rd pairing defencemen. They are not going to wow you with flashy plays, they are needed to play a solid steady consistent defensive game, be hard to play against & reduce the goals against 5 on 5 & on the PK. Ott doesn't need them to score a ton of goals or become an elite player, they need solid & steady D play, hit, block shots, come your teammates defence & that's basically it.

So basically the opposite of Hamonic.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought his game was ok (relative to expectations for your 6/7) until the last two shifts where he got hemmed in both times for very long shifts leading to quality chances against.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I thought his game was ok (relative to expectations for your 6/7) until the last two shifts where he got hemmed in both times for very long shifts leading to quality chances against.

ok relative to a bad or mediocre tanking teams 6/7? sure maybe.

ok for a teams wanting to be great or a contender? naw.
Still carrying on with that negative attitude, glass constantly half empty.

i mean hamonic's tank is empty. so in relation to hamonic, the glass is full empty.

hamonic on the ice has the same effect that korpisalo had on this team. momentum buster, his teammates can't trust him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
ok relative to a bad or mediocre tanking teams 6/7? sure maybe.

ok for a teams wanting to be great or a contender? naw.

i mean hamonic's tank is empty. so in relation to hamonic, the glass is full empty.

hamonic on the ice has the same effect that korpisalo had on this team. momentum buster, his teammates can't trust him.
They beat the defending Stanley Cup Champions, last yr they didn't make the playoffs. they won & you choose the negative route as always. Hamonic played well last night, he plays hard minutes usually against the other team's best lines & he was playing with a rookie as he did with Sanderson the yr before teaching him the ropes. He's important to the team right now, but it's likely his last yr & I expect JBD to share games with him. They won the game with Hamonic in the lineup, he didn't hurt the team, they WON.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad