GDT: Game 1: Red Wings vs penguins 8:00 pm et 10/10/24

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Here is one more I don't get. I understand the value of Christian Fischer and I can see value in Tyler Motte.

I don't see the value in having both. This is similar to what they did last year doubling down on crap with Holl and Petry which helped keep Ed down. They are basically the exact same player, around 30 point grinders. The two of them on the roster are going to keep Kasper down. Would rather one be gone and Kasper on the roster.

There was nothing wrong at Bottom6 lines.

Our Top6 did suck bad.

Maybe Kasper is the answer for that.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I just came to read a handful of reactions, and it reconfirmed how exhausted of most of you I am. The one guarantee is that this is going to be a miserable place to be for the rest of the season.
Its only a few and a gang trying to talk about talking points and not whinging points.

Pittsburgh looked horrible in the first and a bit of the second—they pounced on a few loose ones and turned them into a snowball. I was very positive after the first - thought we limited chances and created many of our own - the first line looked very strong with puck possession. Then we hit a powerplay and somehow fell apart. We got MANY looks uncontested in the slot - and to Henkkas point I saw much of it from the lower lines - the issue I had was we slammed the puck right into the goalies chest.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
What I want to see - and ASP can help here - the best teams in hockey have their defensemen constantly active - and their C's are working to interchange non-stop (Maybe not C, but F1) where you can utilize the channels from the point down into the slot - think Hedman, Makar, Fox - this is where I think we struggle. Larkin and Compher can be that F1 - Seider I don't see moving down as much - Ghost and Walman - they fit that mold - what we have now? I am hopeful that there is a new system that will take over from the one that has been on top the last 4-6 years and that is what Stevie is building - ultimately it is the systems that dominate and teams build for in their windows. We're entering a window and we will not likely be able to build how it's winning today. This is the same impact when the Avs came to dominance - they brought in Patrick Roy and he brought in the winning systems from Jr hockey and ran with it. What will be our catalyst? A superstar surely helps - but Florida was able to do it by moving out a star and bringing in another - the system, and the parts to fit the system were more important than the roster alone. - So what is our system? What separates us from other teams that we can build around and adjust pieces to fit with this core?

Last edited:

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
My fear is that we have seen this exact thing from them all of last season. So I'm not as hopeful for the improvement over the course of the season because well we didn't get it last time.

If we had new defenders just trying to gel then sure, but that's not the case.

Reactions: David D
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Can we be honest about Gustafsson? Like, that narrative that he’s not as good offensively/on the PP as Ghost, but is better defensively? BS. The jury is still out on his offense imo, but defensively he’s no better whatsoever.
there's a reason he's played for half the league at 32 years old...

the reason: he's not very good

Reactions: David D

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I'm not hitting the panic button after 1 game, but it would have been nice to beat a team on the second half of a back to back playing a rookie goaltender.

Definitely a lot to clean up - Edvinsson was down right bad. Gustavsson was even worse. The sloppy turnovers and overall possession game was awful in the 2nd and 3rd. Husso let in one of the worst goals I've ever seen.

I did think Debrincat looked great, Raymond was skating hard, and Larkin had his moments too.

I am definitely worried about the defense and goaltending, let's hope they figure out some of the team defense and that Talbot and Lyon both come to play.

It's only 1 game, plenty of time to figure it out but hopefully they do it soon before they're in a hole.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
All of our pro scouting is garbage. Almost all the guys we signed are bad
I'm more or less okay with our forward pro-scouting. For scoring wingers, I think we're great honestly. Kane and Debrincat have proven to be great additions. Tarasenko will follow suit this season IMO.

For centers, I think we're fine. I don't love Copp but I feel like the team needed him at the time, he was paid a reasonable salary and has more or less performed as well as could have been expected. I feel similarly about Compher, but he's a little better.

Bottom 6 forwards, we've done fine.

For defense though? Maatta and Ghost lived up to their positions and salaries. Besides them it's just disaster after disaster. To be this bad at choosing defense UFAs you have to be good at identifying quality NHL defenseman and choose to actively avoid them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad