Player Discussion Travis Hamonic (D)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The Leafs might need some more vet D presence, especially slow RDs. Hoping Hamonic waives for Toronto, Treliving acquires him and then extends him.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well spoken, self aware person that brings a leadership aspect. He isnt an idiot he knows he needs to be better, he had a few procedures on his knee and says he feels good. Here's hoping he gets back to where he was two years ago while playing in a 6/7 role that's not a bad player to have in the organization. I doubt the haters will listen to the interview but he gets it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well spoken, self aware person that brings a leadership aspect. He isnt an idiot he knows he needs to be better, he had a few procedures on his knee and says he feels good. Here's hoping he gets back to where he was two years ago while playing in a 6/7 role that's not a bad player to have in the organization. I doubt the haters will listen to the interview but he gets it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he finds a role in hockey once his playing career ends, whether it's on the media side or as a coach, he's a good communicator.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
When he got here he was pretty steady and played better than some other D we had in the past in his spot. Last year was rough.

He needs to play a limited role and I think he can still bounce back. He plays physical and can send a puck to the net. If he plays in the appropriate role with limited minutes he can still be serviceable I bet.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

I know some people close to his family. Apparently they are really good people. I wanted Hamonic when the idiot Dorion went and got Brown and Gudranson. I was told by the cheerleaders that he was done. Not sure he has much left but if he could have a renaissance it would be huge for us.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Give me NYI's Hamonic and we will make the conference finals. He was a shut down beast on the Isles
Unfortunately we will not be getting the "best" of Hamonic as he is now too old with too many miles. He will not be signed to play another season for the Senators and I doubt any other NHL team will sign him. His career is essentially over.

Reactions: BigRig4

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I know some people close to his family. Apparently they are really good people. I wanted Hamonic when the idiot Dorion went and got Brown and Gudranson. I was told by the cheerleaders that he was done. Not sure he has much left but if he could have a renaissance it would be huge for us.
What makes them "really good people"?

I have no information or experience to indicate they are or are not "really good people".

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Unfortunately we will not be getting the "best" of Hamonic as he is now too old with too many miles. He will not be signed to play another season for the Senators and I doubt any other NHL team will sign him. His career is essentially over.
100% agree. I'm just day dreaming. I hope whatever amount he plays helps the team more than it hurts them on ice.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He just turned 34 basically days ago and had offseason surgery. He has played in roles above his capability most of his time in Ottawa due to injuries. It is absolutely possible he will be just fine in a bottom 6 role if he's actually able to stay in that role, especially if he's only dressing for 2/3's of the games.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
What makes them "really good people"?

I have no information or experience to indicate they are or are not "really good people".

A close knit family that looks out for each other. Always willing to help friends and family. Humble people. Don't know more than that.

Which is great. But Hamonic was a major liability on the ice last year. He needs to be way better because, IMO, JBD is a replacement level player until proven otherwise. We need more than that next to an unproven Kleven.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I was encouraged to hear about the 2 knee procedures as it confirms he had a nagging injury last year. Now that we have our top 4 D, he'll be able to be on the 3rd pairing with fewer minutes and mentor Kleven like he did with Sanderson. They can alternate him with JBD to keep him fresh.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the young defencemen on this team are going to appreciate Hamonic's experience & help in all kinds of situations. Hamonic could end up as a coach somewhere after his playing days are over, he is fundamentally sound & a good mentor, maybe even here.

Reactions: LiseL

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I think the young defencemen on this team are going to appreciate Hamonic's experience & help in all kinds of situations. Hamonic could end up as a coach somewhere after his playing days are over, he is fundamentally sound & a good mentor, maybe even here.
coach is fine, mentor is fine, hell he can be a guru for all i care

if its the same level of play as last year then he should not be on the ice...period

if his surgeries actually helped him and he can move around and be semi competent then sure

i actually want them to give regular ice time to hamonic in pre-season to see if he has anything left in the tank

if the team actually wants to take the next step then we cant be giving charity to players for ice time

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
coach is fine, mentor is fine, hell he can be a guru for all i care

if its the same level of play as last year then he should not be on the ice...period

if his surgeries actually helped him and he can move around and be semi competent then sure

i actually want them to give regular ice time to hamonic in pre-season to see if he has anything left in the tank

if the team actually wants to take the next step then we cant be giving charity to players for ice time
Hamonic has a contract for next yr, it isn't charity. He plays a role as a shutdown defenceman & plays the PK & is out there when they need to prevent goals against. Goaltending was a huge issue for this team last yr which didn't help the defence. It's most likely that JBD will end up playing many more games & Hamonic will fill in as an injury replacement, but his toughness, mentorship & hard on pucks play will be needed on their defence at times. Two seasons ago he had 21 pts, last yr he dealt with injuries all yr.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Hamonic has a contract for next yr, it isn't charity. He plays a role as a shutdown defenceman & plays the PK & is out there when they need to prevent goals against. Goaltending was a huge issue for this team last yr which didn't help the defence. It's most likely that JBD will end up playing many more games & Hamonic will fill in as an injury replacement, but his toughness, mentorship & hard on pucks play will be needed on their defence at times. Two seasons ago he had 21 pts, last yr he dealt with injuries all yr.
Based off his play the past year it fully is charity. I understand he had injuries but players that are in their mid thirties generally dont turn their play around. Plus he had a knee surgery right, so an already slower player got a surgery that impacts his speed and that takes a while to recover from (Even for the younger guys)

Im not saying we should add toughness on defense (i know who im talking to lol) im saying if you are a tough player that is consistently behind the play then you really arent helpful at all. I much rather have a tough player that isnt behind the play.

Goaltending was a huge issue last year, korpisolo was garbage, at the same time it wasnt 100% on him either

Giving games to hamonic and macewen will fully be charity unless they show that they are up to it in pre-season

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Based off his play the past year it fully is charity. I understand he had injuries but players that are in their mid thirties generally dont turn their play around. Plus he had a knee surgery right, so an already slower player got a surgery that impacts his speed and that takes a while to recover from (Even for the younger guys)

Im not saying we should add toughness on defense (i know who im talking to lol) im saying if you are a tough player that is consistently behind the play then you really arent helpful at all. I much rather have a tough player that isnt behind the play.

Goaltending was a huge issue last year, korpisolo was garbage, at the same time it wasnt 100% on him either

Giving games to hamonic and macewen will fully be charity unless they show that they are up to it in pre-season
JBD will likely get most of the games which should leave Hamonic with a much lighter schedule.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

You can't simplify it that much. It's not charity if there is no better option. If JBD or Guenette don't outplay Hamonic or if there are injuries to the right side what do you propose we do?

A passable 3rd pairing RD, should we need one, is not just marinating somewhere in the system for us to call up and the guys being discarded for cheap by other teams are not locks to be any better than even last year's Hamonic.

Like it or not but Hamonic could very well be our best option for a good portion of games this year.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad