GDT: Traverse Weekend vs Wings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Romano scores a late one but Stars will lose 3-2.

Ertel and Seminoff the assists. Just jamming away at a loose puck and it went in

Reactions: redbeardtx

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Bichsel has been better today but he still needs at minimum a full AHL season
One last thought on everyone's favorite and non-controversial prospect--

Obviously Lian has every physical tool in the world. But even during a better game like today's he suffers from exploding-puck-off-stick syndrome. Which itself is a symptom of trying to think what he wants to do with the puck while receiving it rather than already knowing. Which in turn is a processing the game at NA speed problem. Now either you're a prodigy like Miro who is 3 steps ahead on any rink he steps foot in or you need to grind reps. And his unfortunate decision last year meant he didn't get those reps. So we reset his timer to contributing in the NHL.

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I don't think that is due to him playing in Europe (unless you believe that our AHL coaches are superior - then fair enough)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't think that is due to him playing in Europe (unless you believe that our AHL coaches are superior - then fair enough)

The AHL is absolutely a superior league to anything Europe has to offer. It's also much better at specifically preparing players for the NHL and NHL game speed.

I never really understood why Bichsel was getting so much hype recently and seemed to have fan expectations to make the NHL as a teenager. Just because he's physically matured doesn't mean he's ready for the NHL at all. This tournament seems to have clearly shown that.

He probably needs at least two years in the AHL before he's ready, if he ever is. He's going to have to improve his skating, learn how to handle and play the puck properly, and perhaps most importantly leverage his size and physicality in a way that won't result in a steady stream of penalties. Without marked improvement in all of these areas, he should not sniff the NHL, even in the case of multiple defensive injuries.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Some here are too quick to give out quick judgements on Bichsel based on two pond hockey prospect games.

While I think he will definitely need time in the AHL (at least one season imo). He was defensively dominant (while being aggressive) in the SHL playoffs and only took 4 minor penalties. While in the AHL playoffs, he only took 2 minor penalties in 5 games. He isn't as undisciplined as some here are ascribing him as.

He thrives (like he did in the SHL) as a defensively-responsible partner to a more offensively-minded puck mover. He plays at his best when he settles his game down. Which means when/if he makes the NHL, he'll likely be a bottom four defensive defenseman who penalty kills.

But like I said, it will take some time until he becomes a full-time NHLer.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
The AHL is absolutely a superior league to anything Europe has to offer. It's also much better at specifically preparing players for the NHL and NHL game speed.

I never really understood why Bichsel was getting so much hype recently and seemed to have fan expectations to make the NHL as a teenager. Just because he's physically matured doesn't mean he's ready for the NHL at all. This tournament seems to have clearly shown that.

He probably needs at least two years in the AHL before he's ready, if he ever is. He's going to have to improve his skating, learn how to handle and play the puck properly, and perhaps most importantly leverage his size and physicality in a way that won't result in a steady stream of penalties. Without marked improvement in all of these areas, he should not sniff the NHL, even in the case of multiple defensive injuries.
All my mock drafts I picked Hutson with our 1st round pick. But he’s too SmAlL

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
From Shapiro's blog:
  • This was my first time watching Arttu Hyry in person and he’s going to be in the mix for an NHL roster spot according to Stars GM Jim Nill. He’s smart player, really doesn’t take any bad routes and feels very much like a larger, more physical Joel Kiviranta to me. Nill compared him to Mattias Janmark, which indicates how much Hyry has impressed the Stars GM. I’ll have more on Hyry at this site tomorrow.
  • I watched Emil Hemming back in July playing for the Under-20 Finnish national team, so this was a good opportunity to see him in a different environment. He had a nice combination with Hyry, scored a nice goal on a tip in Game 2 and his line was the only one really effective at generating offense.
  • Lian Bichsel didn’t show out the way I would have liked. This was a showcase where he could have been an imposing force, instead he turned the puck over too often and forced plays.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
It is not "absolutely superior". It is better at preparing for the NHL but it's not like making quick decisions isnt something that is important in every good league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad