Confirmed with Link: Training Camp

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think the team has made its push to get better by trading Geekie and Moser for Sergachev and then signing Marino, Cole and Stenlund (and to lesser extent Bortozzo and Yamamoto).

Now it is up to the young talent to grow.

Still have oodles of prospects to deal in the event of an injury or a smart trade at the deadline.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
How are people chirping because Yakemchuk got sent down? LMAO. Some of you guys must not be running on all cylinders. I'd rather him be a stud in Calgary than play as a #6 D-man and not develop properly. I've seen enough of the player to know he is going to be a damn good NHL player.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I think the team has made its push to get better by trading Geekie and Moser for Sergachev and then signing Marino, Cole and Stenlund (and to lesser extent Bortozzo and Yamamoto).

Now it is up to the young talent to grow.

Still have oodles of prospects to deal in the event of an injury or a smart trade at the deadline.
You can think that, but we don't know that for sure. By this time next year, the team may have been better having Moser and Geekie over Sergarchev. But yes I loved the Marino trade, which was needed to fill a top 4 role by only giving up surplus picks. Smart business!

I’ll give a half clap as well, giving @Half Clapper the clap. May he not suffer lest he continue to be insufferable.
Awe poor baby! Bill Armstrong is a car salesman to the highest degree. Unlike most of you, I don't drink all the Kool-Aid he is spewing out!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
You can think that, but we don't know that for sure. By this time next year, the team may have been better having Moser and Geekie over Sergarchev. But yes I loved the Marino trade, which was needed to fill a top 4 role by only giving up surplus picks. Smart business!

Awe poor baby! Bill Armstrong is a car salesman to the highest degree. Unlike most of you, I don't drink all the Kool-Aid he is spewing out!
Of course we dont know it for sure until the season plays out. Hopefully Marino gets well soon. Crazy that GMBA added 2 top 4 dmen this off season. PLUS Cole.

I regret we gave up Geekie but that too has to play out.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Of course we dont know it for sure until the season plays out. Hopefully Marino gets well soon. Crazy that GMBA added 2 top 4 dmen this off season. PLUS Cole.

I regret we gave up Geekie but that too has to play out.
Ya Cole will play solid minutes for this team as well.

EDIT: I want people to understand that I still like Bill Armstrong as a GM, I just don't eat up every move he has made for this team. The French coach on the other hand I think will be replaced. He is more of the development guy and then as we start to contend will need an experienced guy in charge.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kaizen

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That you are insufferable is separate and apart from your opinion on Armstrong. My opinion is that it is way too early to evaluate the Armstrong drafts, and his rebuild. I can’t make an honest evaluation for another 2-3 years. Arguing one 17 year old top draft pick is better than another is ridiculous. Wait until they are old enough to shave every day.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
That you are insufferable is separate and apart from your opinion on Armstrong. My opinion is that it is way too early to evaluate the Armstrong drafts, and his rebuild. I can’t make an honest evaluation for another 2-3 years. Arguing one 17 year old top draft pick is better than another is ridiculous. Wait until they are old enough to shave every day.
Agreed - Yakemchuk is 19 though, a fact Clapman is conveniently neglecting to consider.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

EDIT: I want people to understand that I still like Bill Armstrong as a GM, I just don't eat up every move he has made for this team. The French coach on the other hand I think will be replaced. He is more of the development guy and then as we start to contend will need an experienced guy in charge.

I tried to walk away...

You claim to know more about prospects and hockey in general than BA and his entire scouting staff. You talk like you've got inside information that no one else does. You start the insults and pout because not enough people are agreeing with you after asking them for their opinion no less. (How old are you by the way? I'd hate to start digging into you and find out I'm bullying a 12 year old online.)

We'd love to hear what your qualifications are. Until then you're always going to come off as the world's biggest, most arrogant, know-it-all armchair GM we've ever seen in our neck of the woods.

"The French coach" lol

It's not even your opinion that is so aggravating. It's how you present it.

Edit: Did you used to have the screen name Yotes4Cup or something similar? I notice it no longer exists.

Big time deja vu.

Last edited:

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I tried to walk away...

You claim to know more about prospects and hockey in general than BA and his entire scouting staff. You talk like you've got inside information that no one else does. You start the insults and pout because not enough people are agreeing with you after asking them for their opinion no less. (How old are you by the way? I'd hate to start digging into you and find out I'm bullying a 12 year old online.)

We'd love to hear what your qualifications are. Until then you're always going to come off as the world's biggest, most arrogant, know-it-all armchair GM we've ever seen in our neck of the woods.

"The French coach" lol

It's not even your opinion that is so aggravating. It's how you present it.

Edit: Did you used to have the screen name Yotes4Cup or something similar? I notice it no longer exists.

Big time deja vu.
When did I claim I know more about prospects than NHL scouts? NHL scouts make mistakes and aren't perfect. It has been proven time and time again. I insult stupid takes, and the Yakemchuk getting sent down chirps were either trolls trying to be funny or just absurd takes. I know I would have done better drafting than Ken Holland did in Edmonton though. I think a fifth-grader would have...I can disagree with draft picks, just like any fan does, and some fans end up being right. You're delusional if you think all of Bill Armstrong's first-round picks are going to hit it out of the park.

First rounds Busts while Bill was a scout in St. Louis: Erik Johnson(1), Marek Schwarz(17), David Rundblad(17), Jordan Schmaltz(25), Dominik Bokk(25)

The Blues hit on a lot of players, but they weren't perfect of course.

I am not a fan of Tourigney. I don't think his in-game adjustments are that great, I think he is better suited as an assistant over the guy in charge. If this team isn't fighting for a playoff spot right to the bitter end next year Tourigney will be canned. Hopefully, they bring in a guy like Joel Quenneville to lead this squad to the promised land if that is the case. I'll give Bill two more years to see real progress and a playoff berth by 25-26 or I think he will be canned as well.

This is a results-oriented business at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
You're delusional if you think all of Bill Armstrong's first-round picks are going to hit it out of the park.

Literally no one has said anything like this.

Nobody has said that they expected perfection. I think we're all smart enough to realize that perfection does not really exist. Yet you keep making that argument like you're not paying attention.

I know I would have done better drafting than Ken Holland did in Edmonton though. I think a fifth-grader would have...I can disagree with draft picks, just like any fan does, and some fans end up being right.

Thank you for confirming that your credibility is much larger in your own head than it is in the real world.

Edit: Like I said, it's not the opinion it's the holier than thou thing you've got going on.

Last edited:

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Literally no one has said anything like this.

Nobody has said that they expected perfection. I think we're all smart enough to realize that perfection does not really exist. Yet you keep making that argument like you're not paying attention.

Thank you for confirming that your credibility is much larger in your own head than it is in the real world.

You might actually be an adolescent. I'm out!
You're living in Lala land if you think the average fan wouldn't have done better than Kenny Holland at drafting when he was with the Oil. In 2019 I would have taken Trevor Zegras(BU). In 2020 I would have taken Braden Schneider(WHL). In 2021 I would have taken Nolan Allan (WHL). In 2022 I would have taken Jagger Firkus(WHL). In 2023 I would have taken Riley Heidt(WHL). You can see my bias towards the dub, but it has proven to be the place to draft out of for years.

That alone would have put the Oilers in a far better spot for the future than where they are now, just from drafting right in the first round. Hockey executives do not know everything bud. Holland did fine work with trades and free-agent signings for the most part, but his drafting was abysmal. Right now he has ZERO drafted players from his 5-year tenure on the 24-25 opening day roster. That's absurd

Oilers 24-25 roster

Nuge - Mcdavid - Hyman
Zegras - Drai - Arvidsson
Skinner - Henrique - Brown
Janmark - Ryan - Perry

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Schneider
Kulak - Emberson
Allan

Skinner
Pickard

Now the team above looks like a legit contender for now and the future. Firkus and Heidt both look like they'll be everyday NHL players as well. I got to watch Schneider(Saskie), Allan(Saskie), Firkus, and Heidt(Saskie) in person because they're all local to me in Sask! You'll get to watch Allan tonight against Utah!

Last edited:

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
That's not what was said either yet somehow you think I'm the one in Lala land? Give me a break! :laugh:
Don't take things so seriously man. I am a grade-A troll / hockey fanatic. Tampa will have three of BA's draft picks on the opening night roster. Moser, Lilleberg, and Geekie! Will see how they do this year.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Don't take things so seriously man. I am a grade-A troll / hockey fanatic. Tampa will have three of BA's draft picks on the opening night roster. Moser, Lilleberg, and Geekie! Will see how they do this year.

Being a troll isn't something to take pride in. That's why I'm still wondering if you're a kid or just immature.

I'm focused on how Utah and Sergachev do over the next few years. If they're playing good hockey, I could care less how those players are doing in Tampa.

Anyways, I'm done feeding the troll.

Last edited:

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
This post makes zero sense! It is a results-oriented business. At some point you have to make a push, this can't take 10 years. That is why he went out and got Sergachev and Marino.
It is a result-oriented business, and the desired result is to compete for Stanley Cups, not appease a new market that would cheer on a bottom feeder for its inaugural season if that's what they were dealt. You can tell his job isn't remotely at risk because he's not selling off the farm like you see with GMs at the end of their tenure.

He took a position of strength, where they had an abundance, and grabbed Sergachev.

He didn't go out and get Sergachev because it was vital to make the playoffs this season, but rather because he's a long-term piece that was available and he'll serve as a great mentor to the upcoming defensemen we have due to come up in the next few seasons.

It's just the natural progression the team has moved into now that they aren't tanking. They have the cupboard of prospect and draft picks, it's just going to take a little bit for them all to make it up to the NHL.

Also, please learn some etiquette.

Plgilbert89

Jul 10, 2024
Quebec
I am not going to argue with you guys any further. Too many of you are homers and don't appreciate talent on other teams. I bet you all thought Dylan Strome was going to be the next big thing when he went 3rd overall too lol.

I know talent when I see it, and Simashev doesn't pass the eye test...Yakemchuk and Michkov on the other hand look like studs. Same with Benson. Also, Benson is playing against NHL players, your boy But is still in a lesser league in the KHL. Finding a D-man like Simashev is a lot easier than getting a guy like Yakemchuk or Michkov. Simashev is the next Zadorov, if he develops properly. Solid #4 D-man, but def not 6th overall pick level.

Also, very hilarious about the guy saying Yakemchuk looks bad defensively. He has looked good on defence in pre-season. You can't teach the instincts Yakemchuk has, you have to be stupid to think this guy won't be the real deal. You can tell a lot of you don't watch hockey, but look up stats and read what scouting reports say. Too many clueless people on this forum. At least Jakey isn't drinking all the Kool-Aid.
Dude... Get off your high horse and start actually reading what people's are writing instead of trying to shove your opinion down our throat ... First of all, no one is arguing Michkov is elite talent and talent wise he was the 2nd best talent in that draft. However, like multiples persons told you before, he didn't want to play in Arizona at all and it was made clear as day after the draft so it was better to draft anyone else than him just cause of that.

Secondly, no one is saying Simashev is a sure fire top pair defenseman. In fact he is more likely to be a 3rd defenseman TOp Pk D than 1st pairing PP guy. You compare him to Zadorov who is a much more physical defenseman while Sim is way more active with his sticks to cut plays so stop telling people that they don't watch hockey when you are making wrong comparisons. He is more of a Slavin type defenseman with a little less offense I feel. TBH, I still feel he was a reach at 6 but time will tell if he reaches his potential.

Thirdly, Yakemchuk sure had a really good 5 games in pre season playing against AHL level lineup but if you actually watch him play last year in Calgary in the W he has tendancy to go up the rush quite often and get caught out of position often. He sure has good offensive tools but 5 pre season games are too little to say he has superstar written all over him. I would still take Dickinson or Buium before him in the long run.

Finally, Benson is good but it is much easier to draft a guy like that than a guy like But who has a very unique skillset that goes with his big size frame. Its simple math. I trust BA and the scouts in the end.

Last edited:

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
The lovefest for Benson in Buffalo when the exact same team is also benefitting right now from one of BA's other "reach" picks in Tage Thompson.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think it's AT's job to lose. He like everyone else have no excuses. All have to have higher expectations for this year. Keller said as much when he said the rebuild is all but over. I would say our expectations should be the playoffs, but man are we in a tough division.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Dude... Get off your high horse and start actually reading what people's are writing instead of trying to shove your opinion down our throat ... First of all, no one is arguing Michkov is elite talent and talent wise he was the 2nd best talent in that draft. However, like multiples persons told you before, he didn't want to play in Arizona at all and it was made clear as day after the draft so it was better to draft anyone else than him just cause of that.

Secondly, no one is saying Simashev is a sure fire top pair defenseman. In fact he is more likely to be a 3rd defenseman TOp Pk D than 1st pairing PP guy. You compare him to Zadorov who is a much more physical defenseman while Sim is way more active with his sticks to cut plays so stop telling people that they don't watch hockey when you are making wrong comparisons. He is more of a Slavin type defenseman with a little less offense I feel. TBH, I still feel he was a reach at 6 but time will tell if he reaches his potential.

Thirdly, Yakemchuk sure had a really good 5 games in pre season playing against AHL level lineup but if you actually watch him play last year in Calgary in the W he has tendancy to go up the rush quite often and get caught out of position often. He sure has good offensive tools but 5 pre season games are too little to say he has superstar written all over him. I would still take Dickinson or Buium before him in the long run.

Finally, Benson is good but it is much easier to draft a guy like that than a guy like But who has a very unique skillset that goes with his big size frame. Its simple math. I trust BA and the scouts in the end.
Let's take Micklov out of the mix. I think Simashev was the wrong pick, same as for But, but we have had very limited views and videos of both players, but I would not have picked the two Russians, but that is just me. I'm fine with the Iginla pick, especially if he can play C.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When did I claim I know more about prospects than NHL scouts? NHL scouts make mistakes and aren't perfect. It has been proven time and time again. I insult stupid takes, and the Yakemchuk getting sent down chirps were either trolls trying to be funny or just absurd takes. I know I would have done better drafting than Ken Holland did in Edmonton though. I think a fifth-grader would have...I can disagree with draft picks, just like any fan does, and some fans end up being right. You're delusional if you think all of Bill Armstrong's first-round picks are going to hit it out of the park.

First rounds Busts while Bill was a scout in St. Louis: Erik Johnson(1), Marek Schwarz(17), David Rundblad(17), Jordan Schmaltz(25), Dominik Bokk(25)

I am not a fan of Tourigney. I don't think his in-game adjustments are that great, I think he is better suited as an assistant over the guy in charge. If this team isn't fighting for a playoff spot right to the bitter end next year Tourigney will be canned. Hopefully, they bring in a guy like Joel Quenneville to lead this squad to the promised land if that is the case. I'll give Bill two more years to see real progress and a playoff berth by 25-26 or I think he will be canned as well.

This is a results-oriented business at the end of the day.
In my opinion AT has done great so far. I do agree with some of his in game adjustments, but much of that may have to do with lack of talent, and BA tried to address that in the off season with his moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad