Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
What's up with him? Hurt?

Yes, got hurt in camp, and while I really liked the signing, as I saw a lot of him with the Ducks, the big knock was he gets hurt a lot, and that has probably derailed him from playing up to his potential. I am disappointed that he is starting his Bruins career with an injury because I was hoping (and it may still be true) that he had turned a corner from that.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Hey there, Bruins fans! I'm curious. How likely is it for Marchand to be ready for opening night? Also, has he fully recovered from last year's injuries?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Tj or brown wont lose you a game lysel could

Bruins have far too many centers to be giving Brown more time over the young guys.

If Beecher gets injured then kastelic can slide over. If a top 9 center gets injured Geekie or zacha can slide over.

They don’t have that luxury with wingers. They should be getting merkulov and lysell as much experience against NHL talent as possible.

Instead they are giving a longer look to a 32 year old center who was pretty much been a career AHLer.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
After last night I’m going with this.

Zacha-Lindholm-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle-Geekie
Frederic-Poitras-Brazeau
Jones-Beecher-Kastelic
Johnson

I know people are hating on Geekie in that 2RW role but I think he will have a solid season there. I wouldn’t be surprised if he puts up 50+ points. I think that third line will have good chemistry and Brazeau will Score 20+. Big heavy line up that is solid defensively but can put up some points. I think Johnson will play that Heinen Swiss arm knife roll well.

Get Swayman signed and let’s roll!

Reactions: PB37

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Hey there, Bruins fans! I'm curious. How likely is it for Marchand to be ready for opening night? Also, has he fully recovered from last year's injuries?

He left last nights game with an illness. Assume he will be ready. How much as he recovered? Can’t say he has been out here enough to know.

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
Bruins have far too many centers to be giving Brown more time over the young guys.

If Beecher gets injured then kastelic can slide over. If a top 9 center gets injured Geekie or zacha can slide over.

They don’t have that luxury with wingers. They should be getting merkulov and lysell as much experience against NHL talent as possible.

Instead they are giving a longer look to a 32 year old center who was pretty much been a career AHLer.
Season starts soon. Can't have ahl players on NHL roster. Tough first month of games Johnson is much more versatile can do more things and kill penalties playing the pp move up and down the lineup play center Wing has won Stanley cups any knowledgeable hockey fan would want him out there 100 out of 100 times over merklov or lysel they had three games to prove something and they did nothing against AHL caliber roster. 100% Johnson should be on the team Brown will only play if there's injuries probably going to slot in as the 13th forward but definitely more trustworthy than those two

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Cole Koepke didn’t land in Boston with the same fanfare as some of the Bruins’ other July 1 free agent acquisitions, but you wouldn’t know it by the way he’s performed during training camp.

The pride of Hermantown High, which he helped lead to a Minnesota Class A title in 2016, Koepke has made stops in Sioux City Iowa (USHL), the University of Minnesota Duluth, where he won a Frozen Four (2019), before playing four seasons in the Tampa Bay organization — mostly with the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch.

A speedy 6-foot-1-inch, 207-pounder, Koepke has flashed a relentless forechecking style, which has endeared him to coach Jim Montgomery.

Koepke worked on the right wing in Tuesday night’s 4-1 preseason win over the Flyers with center Mark Kastelic (6-4, 227) and left wing Johnny Beecher (6-3, 220). It’s a trio that has clicked well and will be counted on to make life miserable for opponents trying to generate fast breaks.

“Both of those guys are big bodies, and they play fast, and they play hard, and they are sound in the defensive zone,” said Koepke. “They get pucks in the offensive zone and go to work on the forecheck, and I think I can complement that style of game and just learn a lot from them and follow along.”

To Koepke, the formula for success when it comes to forechecking is simple: hound pucks.

“It’s having the second, third, fourth, and fifth effort, whatever it’s going to take,” he said. “It starts with puck placement, put it in the right spot and then from there try and get on them right away. And if you don’t get them the first time, you’ve got to just stay on and keep reloading and keep going until you get it back.”

Montgomery acknowledged he didn’t have a lot of background information on Koepke prior to working with him in camp. There’s a lot to like from the bench boss’s perspective.

“I like the way he’s managing the puck. I like his speed; I like his tenacity. He’s causing a lot of turnovers and turnovers lead to odd-man rushes. They lead to more O-zone time no matter where you create them. And he’s been creating a lot. So, I like those aspects of his game,” said Montgomery. “And then as we see and how does he build our team game offensively? Is he hanging on to pucks? Is he changing at the right times? All those things that you don’t know a player well enough yet, so we’ve got to see him develop.”

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
He left last nights game with an illness. Assume he will be ready. How much as he recovered? Can’t say he has been out here enough to know.
Thank you for the response! Do you think there's any chance for Brad to end up on the first line again this year?

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Thank you for the response! Do you think there's any chance for Brad to end up on the first line again this year?
Probably not consistently, but he'll definitely end up on the first line for certain situations. Like if the team is struggling for offense or we're losing late in a game, stuff like that.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

With the way Monty tinkers with the lineup, yes. For a few shifts here and there, incomplete line changes, Zacha injury and Marchand is next guy up. Permanently though, probably not.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

They seem to be going with Zacha Lindholm Pasta and Marchand Coyle Geekie to start. With Geekie’s spot being the most tenuous. But Montgomery isn’t one to stick with fixed lines very long so who knows. I don’t think there is a fantasy steal here with Marchand if that is what you are getting at.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Cole Koepke didn’t land in Boston with the same fanfare as some of the Bruins’ other July 1 free agent acquisitions, but you wouldn’t know it by the way he’s performed during training camp.

The pride of Hermantown High, which he helped lead to a Minnesota Class A title in 2016, Koepke has made stops in Sioux City Iowa (USHL), the University of Minnesota Duluth, where he won a Frozen Four (2019), before playing four seasons in the Tampa Bay organization — mostly with the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch.

A speedy 6-foot-1-inch, 207-pounder, Koepke has flashed a relentless forechecking style, which has endeared him to coach Jim Montgomery.

Koepke worked on the right wing in Tuesday night’s 4-1 preseason win over the Flyers with center Mark Kastelic (6-4, 227) and left wing Johnny Beecher (6-3, 220). It’s a trio that has clicked well and will be counted on to make life miserable for opponents trying to generate fast breaks.

“Both of those guys are big bodies, and they play fast, and they play hard, and they are sound in the defensive zone,” said Koepke. “They get pucks in the offensive zone and go to work on the forecheck, and I think I can complement that style of game and just learn a lot from them and follow along.”

To Koepke, the formula for success when it comes to forechecking is simple: hound pucks.

“It’s having the second, third, fourth, and fifth effort, whatever it’s going to take,” he said. “It starts with puck placement, put it in the right spot and then from there try and get on them right away. And if you don’t get them the first time, you’ve got to just stay on and keep reloading and keep going until you get it back.”

Montgomery acknowledged he didn’t have a lot of background information on Koepke prior to working with him in camp. There’s a lot to like from the bench boss’s perspective.

“I like the way he’s managing the puck. I like his speed; I like his tenacity. He’s causing a lot of turnovers and turnovers lead to odd-man rushes. They lead to more O-zone time no matter where you create them. And he’s been creating a lot. So, I like those aspects of his game,” said Montgomery. “And then as we see and how does he build our team game offensively? Is he hanging on to pucks? Is he changing at the right times? All those things that you don’t know a player well enough yet, so we’ve got to see him develop.”

One would think Koepke is making a solid case for the 13th forward. I don't think that will be Brown, because I think they want Brown in Providence as the Captain/coach on the ice.

I would think Koepke and Tufte are battling for that role. I still look at Jones as being one of the 12 in the lineup, but the injuries could relegate him to the bench role.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I would think Koepke and Tufte are battling for that role. I still look at Jones as being one of the 12 in the lineup, but the injuries could relegate him to the bench role.

Koepke wins in that one for me. Tufte hasn't really looked that great to my eyes thus far. He needs some more work. Koepke looks NHL ready to me. It's an embarrassment of riches for the 4th line right now.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
One would think Koepke is making a solid case for the 13th forward. I don't think that will be Brown, because I think they want Brown in Providence as the Captain/coach on the ice.

I think 14th F. Add in Max Jones and Poitras to last night’s lineup and you’re at 14F.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Definitely pulling for Koepke after reading that article. I didn't realize that he went to the same HS that I went to many many years ago when my dad got transfered to Duluth.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad