Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Same condescending bullshit from you. Was talking about Lyell and Johnson. Brown has nothing to do with anything.

Stop hijacking threads
I know who you were talking about. I brought up Brown to tell you how ridiculous it was to say Johnson eats PK minutes. There's no hijacking going on. It would have taken you 30 seconds to look at his stats instead of proclaiming something that wasn't true as justification. If you don't know why Johnson made the team over Lysell, that's fine. But saying it's because of versatility and PK ability was just flat out wrong. Own it.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
The injury was pretty late during the season, and there were plenty of opportunities to have him play before that.

There were 9 guys who played in Providence and Boston last year.
(in order of games played in BOS)
Beecher
Boqvist
Steen
Brazeau
Brown
Richard
Merkulov
Megna
McLaughlin

Maybe he didn't deserve it then either, which would be a concern.
And they all played on the 4th line
You’re not calling Lysell up to play there

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You’re not calling Lysell up to play there
They called up Merkulov. He's not exactly the typical 4th line player.

Also, Brazeau, Merkulov, Boqvist and Steen (only 2 mintues) got some pp time.

I mean, it's ok to say they didn't think he was ready, since they don't think he's ready now. I just don't think the only reason that he didn't play last year was injury.

Reactions: Mione134

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
He can still PK and between that and his versatility along with the waiver exemption is why Johnson is still here.

I don’t expect him to make the team at this point but the ability to play special teams if need be gives him the edge.
He. Doesn't. PK. Anymore. The version of Tyler Johnson that you have in your head does not exist anymore.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Can see Merk going down.

Like last year, is this about saving every red cent potentially or as in all of last year . . .up against the Cap?

Actually has me more hopeful Sway gets signed. They can let Johnson sit around but Lysell costs more in Cap.

We'll soon see.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
No they don't. Wayyyyyy to much made about preseason when both teams dress 15 jags. Have some balls and go off the past two seasons in the AHL and stop getting jags like Brown and TJ. Sackless management wants their "fantastic" regular season and maybe one round won. I mean if my boss required that mediocrity I would do the same.

Brown and Johnson suck, let's not kid ourselves. Pun intended.

Was Lysell some kind of all-star in the AHL? Not even a point a game. Heavy on assists when he's supposed to be a goal scorer. In 110 AHL games, 29 goals.

In the last two seasons, Tyler Johnson has scored 29 goals in 123 NHL games. He's also got a couple rings he earned playing every game in both of those playoffs.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Was Lysell some kind of all-star in the AHL? Not even a point a game. Heavy on assists when he's supposed to be a goal scorer. In 110 AHL games, 29 goals.

In the last two seasons, Tyler Johnson has scored 29 goals in 123 NHL games. He's also got a couple rings he earned playing every game in both of those playoffs.
Besides the fact nobody wanted to sign Johnson to an actual contract at 34, you need to see Lysell riding shot gun with 63 and 13. See what he has, he's a skill guy maybe he clicks..

Late to the party,

Just shows Lysell was never making the team.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

For Chicago. Including PP1 all year last year.

Everyone understands he played in the NHL last year. No need to be pedantic.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

No need to be insulting.

Everyone knows he played in the NHL. Everyone knows Lysell played in the minors. The fact that they scored goals at basically the same pace over the past to season at the two different levels seemed relevant to me.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I'm mostly just disappointed Lysell was never even given a chance with Marchand and Coyle.

Outside of his first game, I thought he was very impressive and arguably one of their best forwards at times.

At the same time, I'm at peace with it because I know he'll be back up.

I think its going to take the front office longer to realize that the offense is average at best and likely bottom half in the league in terms of talent

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

The point he is trying to make is that Johnson is a more proven NHL scorer than Lysell. Sending Lysell down is arguable, and it will be here for the next two weeks, but NOT crazy.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
No need to be insulting.

Everyone knows he played in the NHL. Everyone knows Lysell played in the minors. The fact that they scored goals at basically the same pace over the past to season at the two different levels seemed relevant to me.
It’s not though. More than half of Johnson’s goals were on the PP. And screw the rings that’s too long ago to factor into his inclusion on the team.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'm mostly just disappointed Lysell was never even given a chance with Marchand and Coyle.

Outside of his first game, I thought he was very impressive and arguably one of their best forwards at times.

At the same time, I'm at peace with it because I know he'll be back up.

I think its going to take the front office longer to realize that the offense is average at best and likely bottom half in the league in terms of talent
It’s not about playing with certain players. It’s the fact that he earned at least another game for a look. Easily. Why send him down now?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I liked how Brown played this preseason. Meat and potatoes guy but I thought his forecheck was really good and was hard on the puck.

Lysell wasn't in competition for a 4th line role - he was competing with Poitras, Geekie, Johnson for a middle wing spot on the team. This doesn't close the book on Lysell's potential future ; it's just another roadblock they want him to hurdle over and force his way on to the team. I thought he did enough to at least warrant a longer look and I liked his play a hell of a lot better than Johnson's.

It appears Beecher and Kastelic are locks for two of the 4th line spots and they're still trying to figure out Johnson vs Brazeau vs Brown vs Tufte vs Jones for three of the remaing bottom 9 spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad